2011 Marathon

Hello all,

Having failed to get into VLM i'd really like to still run a marathon in the early part of next year. Brighton is also full so (as a fairly new runner) i'd really appreciate some tips on a 'nice' marathon to enter....

Thanks image

Comments

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    only one I can think of is Chester but thats in October 2011 not sure about early 2011
  • Thanks Compo, after some discussions i think i'll probably do the Shakespeare (Stratford-upon-Avon) in May... image

I may live to regret it though...

• And if you like it you can do Chester as wellimage
  • Edinburgh! It was my first and its very flat & great atmosphere.
  • Sarsen trail + Neolithic Marathon

Duchy Marathon

taunton Marathon

Bungay Marathon

Bath Beat

I haven't made up my mind which to do, it needs to be near London or Brighton time wise as I'll prolly end up training with folk doing one or the other - not that I have to run one at all, but it's something to aim for.

• Hi David,

You mentioned in the first line of your original post on this thread that you'd failed to get a place in the 2011 Virgin London Marathon, but if you really want to do it then there are still ways to get in.  If you type JustGiving.com/LondonMarathon2011 into Google and press return it'll load up the site with a list of charities you could run for, some of whom have no minimum amount of sponsorship that you have to pledge to raise.  If you go for one of the charities with no minimum sponsorship you can raise as much or as little as possible and still achieve your dream of running in the 2011 London Marathon, so you might as well give it a shot if you still want to do the 2011 London Marathon.

Zac

• Cheers for that cheeky tip, hadn't thought of that. Would love to run VLM as haven't secured a place for 2 Years. image
  • Thanks Zac appreciate the thought. Will check it out... image

If not i'm definitely up for the Shakespeare in May. 

• Hopefully, this isn't off-topic - but how do you find out about future marathon events? I tried using the "Events" section, but it doesn't seem to contain a lot of marathons (E.g. Edinburgh? Belfast?), and they seem to get booked out pretty quickly.

I'd like to do something early next year, and I'm also tempted by Sharespeare, or Brighton Trail marathon (though that's the week after I'm doing the Reading half)

• Andrew Burns 3 wrote (see)

Hopefully, this isn't off-topic - but how do you find out about future marathon events? I tried using the "Events" section, but it doesn't seem to contain a lot of marathons (E.g. Edinburgh? Belfast?), and they seem to get booked out pretty quickly.

I'd like to do something early next year, and I'm also tempted by Sharespeare, or Brighton Trail marathon (though that's the week after I'm doing the Reading half)

Whenever I want to look at future marathons on this site that are currently quite far off I just type the word "Marathon" into the part where it asks what you want to search for, and look at everything on every page to find out what's going on in the future.  If that doesn't work I try to keep an eye out for any new marathons when I get the next copy of Runners World or any other running magazines - alternatively, I've sometimes found that typing something like "UK Marathons For 2011" into Google and then searching all possible results can sometimes throw up other websites that have a list of future events on them that you may not have found elsewhere.  If you haven't tried that yet then give it a shot - after all, you've got nothing to lose, and if you find something interesting that you haven't seen elsewhere then you might be able to get in quick and be one of the first entrants to secure your place.  At least that way you won't have to worry about making a last-minute dash to secure your place when you do eventually see it in just about every running publication available and on loads of running websites.

Zac

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Try looking at websites like AIMSor marathon guide for race calendars.  If there is no date listed, try looking at the previous year and it's likely that it'll be around the same date.
  • WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    The Chester marathon route is changing next year, hopefully the route wont be quite as boring as it was this year. Not sure yet if I will do it as I have two to do in the first half of the year (Brighton and Windermere). Windermere is supposed to be a nice one to do but challenging.
  • snowdonia is one I fancy, beautiful views and challenging
  • I must admit being fairly new to this running lark i found out about a lot of things too late to even consider them.

A decent rough list in advance of 2011 would be a really useful guide. I'd like to plan the year out a little.

Snowdonia is one i'd like to do as well Squeakz but the description of the hills sounds out of my league for now. 

Thanks for responses guys..... After Bedford 1/2 in December i'm looking forward to a great year of running in 2011 image 

• I'm in the same position. Didn't get into VLM. Didn't get a charity place.

I'm up for Edinburgh but don't like the ipod ban - I'm not sure whether I could run my first marathon without some help on the music front.

Paris is an option but it's expensive all in all...

Hmmm dilemas.