Shotz/Nuun tablets

Does anyone use these?  I remember being told they would be useful when I first ran a marathon, and so I dutifully bought some, took them whilst running, and got round the course, which was all I was aiming for.  I've taken them since in halves, but very unscientifically.  The down side, if you're doing it over a half - or, I guess, if you run your full marathon faster than me - is you're running with an open bottle waiting for the thing to dissolve. 

What is the best way to use these?  During what sort of race, and at what point?  Also, any preference as to brands?  Looking at the nutritional information on these two tubes I've got here, the only difference I can see is that Shotz contain less potassium, but do contain vitamin B (which might be useful to me as a veggie, but I'm not sure what it would do in a race situation)

Thanks folks.  I'm doing my second marathon in 10 days, and am wondering if its worth cramming a couple of these into my back pocket, next to the running beans and the ibuprofen.

Comments

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    I use Nuun on my bike but don't find them useful when running. They don't have any carbohydrate in them and after a long run on which they made me image I can't manage them any more. If it's just salts/electrolytes that you're after, Elete water is also really good and you just need a few drops and can put it straight onto your tongue. Very much personal preference with all these things though.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    I'd personally use them to properly hydrate the day or so BEFORE the Marathon. A bit of a tried and tested trick for a lot of folk on the sub-3 thread that too. Drinking water with a Nuun/High 5 Zero or similar to make sure all the electrolytes are topped up before the off. Not a massive help DURING the race in my view though, unless it's a very hot day and you're sweating very excessivley.
  • I've used Nuun for biking and running for years but when running it's been when I've taken my Camelbak so I'm self sufficient - not as tabs to be added to water

if you want to take electrolytes when running a race, it's much easier to take formulated salt tablets which you swallow like any other pill - no need to add to water. Endurolytes are the best know UK brand - check them out here . they're easy to carry and use and work well. in hot sweaty races I wouldn't go without them
  • Very helpful, thank you!  I'll try it the day before next time, and see if it makes any difference.... Will also keep an eye out for those salt tablets or Elete water in running shops.