Windsor Tri

Anyone else forked out the £86 to enter this event next year? Haven't done Windsor before but its supposed to be one of the best. Is this true?

Comments

• yes - one of the best. will probably be there again as not done it for a couple of years
  • Looking forward to it and what with the castles and wot-nots Mrs GM might be persuaded to come along for moral support.
  • I did it last year.

It's big
    It's an 'event'
    It's worth doing, but it's expensive....
    Beware the nightclub behind the travellodge
    It's full of very keen people, (I have never seen so many calf guards)

• yay! just signed up.. need to find accomodation now image looking forward to my first oly tri .. anyone out there that fancies a bit of training over the winter just shout!
  • Was considering it, but it's £90 for a RIVER swim and you have to run up the side of the Castle.  I am a wuss, so river swims and hills are not favourable.  Also clashes with the last day of the Deca, Triple, Double, Single Enduroman.

I am looking at Bath Oly three weeks later for £47 instead.image

• I've done it twice and think it's a great race.  There are down sides, like having to rack the day before and the stupid o'clock starts if you're a girl but where else can you be overtaken by Helen Tucker (and enjoy the sight of her arse disappearing into the distance image )
  • sounds good to me!! emailing b&b's at the moment.. how long will it take roughly to do an oly? wondering if i'll be back to the b&b for breakfast!!
  • I've looked into doing it several times but the day before racking and the VERY early start have all put me off and it always seems to clash with other events (e.g. IMUK 70.3). But this year i'm on it (although it has fallen 3weeks after the edinburgh marathon so i'll still not have fully recovered). Got to say though £87 is really expensive. Noticed this years london tri is also very pricey, it seems that with increased popularity (and entrants) tri's have went up in price!
  • Loved it last year, but being in the Thames for 6am took some dedication.  Wasn't impressed with the quality of roads or lack of drafting marshalling going on, but all other staff were excellent.  I'm lucky enough to live close enough, not to also have to pay out to stay somewhere as well, but still find it an expensive day out.  Like Schmu will be looking at other events like Bath as a cheaper option.

But like London and Blenheim, if you haven't done it before, you should do it at least the once just for the experience.

• Thanks neil, haven't done it before, but I have done London (several times) and Blenheim once and I'm genuinely excited about doing windsor, being meaning to do it for years, but have never got round to it. But Bath sounds interesting as well, I've done the half there for the last few years so already it looks like my race calendar for 2012 is filling up - bath in 2012 it is then!
  • I'm in for Windsor Oly - Or at least my Credit card is!
  • right got accomodation booked up.. hopefully it will be nice adn a good location as it looks very close to the transition area!
  • Where is the transition area, I've booked my accomodation with the idea that as long as i am near the castle, i'll be fine!
  • 5 minutes upriver from the castle, at the end of the day windsors not very big.  Parking in the allocated car-park (although very well organised) is further.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hello! I'm thinking about this one - came across it by accident. I set myself a challenge of doing HIM and really want to to an Oly distance first.

Having decided I want to do Trentham HIM, I have tried to find an Oly tri sometime between April/May and July. Is four weeks enough time to recover and do keep up a bit of training?

I'm so nervous. I think I annoyed lots of pro's (HIM's/ IM's) with my indecisiveness on races and silly questions. Seems the Tri way is just to get on and do it rather than think about it. Thinking is my downfall!

Having realised an HIM will take about 6 hours, and an Oly looks like 3hours (maybe I'm being optimistic, but I have got over 6 months of training ahead of me and currently do a 80min sprint tri), 4 weeks kind of seems like enough time..........

What do you all think????????

• what do we all think?? you're answering your own question before you pose it... image

"Seems the Tri way is just to get on and do it rather than think about it. Thinking is my downfall!"

• jEvans, i'm in the same boat as you.. and i've decided financially i am going to hold off on doing a HIM until next year.. I'm not scared of the distances, just the financial commitment right now.. so going to just do Windsor oly for this summer and prob the hever oly distance too image

training wise you have tonnes of time to train for a HIM so that wont be a problem! 

• JEvaNs* wrote (see)

Having decided I want to do Trentham HIM, I have tried to find an Oly tri sometime between April/May and July. Is four weeks enough time to recover and do keep up a bit of training?

Having realised an HIM will take about 6 hours, and an Oly looks like 3hours (maybe I'm being optimistic, but I have got over 6 months of training ahead of me and currently do a 80min sprint tri), 4 weeks kind of seems like enough time..........

4 weeks is plenty.  Recovery times after triathlon aren't as long as you might think.  After all, most of that 3 hours will be spent lying or sitting down, and the run won't be at top speed either. 

If you weren't doing Windsor that day you'd be doing some other training anyway, maybe for longer than 3 hours.  An Oly 4 weeks before HIM is perfect training, just more expensive!

• why can't tri be a cheap sport!
  • Just go for it, but if you want my advice forget about doing the HIM in 6 hours and just concentrate on doing it. Its funny how your predicted run times go out of the window after an 1 and a bit mile swim and a 56mile bike ride!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Yeah - the difference in training is one thing, but the event costs are a HUGE step up from running events! I do hear a lot of good things about the organisation of these things though (while I have only done one Sprint Tri, it was smooth as clockwork, both times!).

Thanks for the advice lovely people. I know I shouldn't think about times, but I need something to motivate me out the door! I am not going to get hung up about time at all though since at the moment I can barely imagine walking for three hours let alone doing anything more energetic!

Reckon I'll enter Windsor now (sounds popular with less than 300 places left), and see how entries for Trentham go and enter that one when I know a bit more about my ongoing financial situation (current work contract finishes in March 2011 image)

Hoorah! I made a decision! I'm halfway to being a Triathlete!

• well done!! you can keep me motivated through the training for windsor so!!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Are you a seasoned Tri-er, bootsie? This will be my first beyond Sprint distance... Though have plenty of running behind me.
  • nope i'm in the same boat as you.. done one try a tri and one sprint.. come from marathon and half marathon background image
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Oh - well you are more advanced than me! I'm a 10k-half marathon runner, and my main running days were about 5 years ago.

But I've just done my first half decent 10k for years (52.51 in Swansea) having been re-inspired by a 25 min 5k in May. I'm using the Triathlon as a motivator to get my running back on track, and to make sure I swim regularly too. I did a Sprint Tri in Aug in 1hr 23m. Will be doing the same course in May and maybe get towards 1.15...? Not sure how quickly the times go down (and there I go getting obsessed by times again!).

Right! Motivational pact made! What is everyone's training like at the mo? I'm building my running up so my long run is 9 miles a week (currently stuck at about 6); am trying to swim twice a week, making sure that at least one of those sessions is for a mile; and I'm going to be cycling into work once or twice a week (9 miles each way, so 18 miles a day), and am trying to build a spinning session in. I also do circuits once a week. The biking is the only thing I've been struggling with really, but now I have panniers so everything will come together.

• right well at the moment i'm having a chillout couple of weeks after 4 weekends of racing out of 5.. heading to india on friday for 10 days and then coming back and hitting it hard.. i plan on doing 2 sessions of each to start off with i would imagine a week.. with possible a long run thrown in on the weekend.. going to do a tri club swim session once a week.. will try and tri club bike session once a week.. then one session of each on my own .. then will doing running club once or twice a week for my run sessions.. thats the plan at the moment.. my long run was 15 miles on the 3rd in the cork to cobh 15 mile race.. my running speed is alot slower than yours though!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Anyone else joining in the motivational training (since I'm on my own for a couple of weeks!!)???

Circuits done last night, and a cycle into work and back (18 miles total) to day have left my legs nice and broken ready for the weekend. No training planned for the weekend as I am visiting my sister.

Still got to enter the race though. How does the discount rate work? I'll be a member of a club from about March I think, but I don't want to join right now as I want to get a bit more confident before I join in with people who know what they are doing!!!

Can I enter the race and pay the cheap rate on the basis that I will be a member on race day? I seem to recall seeing something about showing your card on the day...??

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    PS - have a fab time in india bootsie!!!
  • thanks!! i will do.. packed and ready to go now..

i'll be back on the 26th so will be focused then on training! 

• I've entered - my first Oly. Saturday racking isn't a problem for me - I don't live too far away - and my mum still lives in Windsor.