The Vit 2011

Does anyone know when the entries are likely to open for the Vit 2011?   From what I know it sells out really quickly and I don't want to miss it, it's going to be my first (and possibly only!) middle distance tri image

Comments

• Believe it's October but if you join the Pacesettler newsletter, link the on site, you'll find out as soon as you can.
  • Ooo, so could be any time, hope they wait until the end of the month when I get paid!  image

I've signed up for the newsletter too.

• i fancy this one did my first middle dist this year at wimbleball and i up for another 6 to 7 hours worth of pain and suffering.
  • Am thinking about this one... problem is im in Ireland and everyone I know is heading to the IM70.3 in Galway now. Decisions.....
  • This is a great race, good course, excellent for supporters and a very enjoyable weekend camping. I entered by post last year which opened a couple of weeks earlier than the website entries.

Will be interesting to see what the take up is like as IMW is on the following day, i'm sure it'll still sell out early door though
  • When's the Galway one New Shoes?

I've heard that it's well supported, which will be great as I'll probably need it on the run!  Plus it's not too far from me and the course is flatish, which is good considering I live in Norfolk and we don't have many hills! image  I'm hoping I'll be able to get there and do the bike course a couple of times in advance and check out the run too so there won't be any surprises on the day. 

*whispers* Cona, what's IMW?  I'm guessing Ironman something?

• Pretty sure Cona mail eintries opened earlier because they had website probs.
  • Ironman Wales TST, its  early Sept too. Based in Tenby, first year in 2011
  • Ah, thank you!  Yes, think I read something in my magazine about it.  Guess all the hardcore pirates will be over there doing that one then?! image
  • TST: the galway one is september 4th, first year its being run...
  • Not going to be any shortage of events on at the begining of September then!  
  • At least they all pretty much clash making it impossible to consider doing more than one of them.... not that any sensible person would try to do a few of these inside a week or two right? image
  • rofl  Well, I wouldn't!!  But then I think just doing the Vit is going to be taxing enough image 

• new shoes wrote (see)
    At least they all pretty much clash making it impossible to consider doing more than one of them.... not that any sensible person would try to do a few of these inside a week or two right? image
    Only an idiot would image
  • i've done the vit the last 2 years, but not this year as I am saving my self for IMW!

The missus, however will be back at the vit to spank its arse and hopefully not be in the last 5 this time!

i'll support or marshal

• Well if she is OC then I'll probably be there to keep her company!  And at least she finished image
  • As I'm impatient I emailed Pacesetter last week to see if they would tell me when the registration would open, and got this back today:

Entries for 2011 are planned to be open some time in December, 2010. If you are registered on the site for the newsletter and on our twitter page we will announce the opening of entries the moment we go live so just keep an eye out.

We had intended to open registration at the end of October but following a small number of complaints from the public re the behaviour of a number of cyclists on the Vitruvian course in September 2010 we are now in a position where we are required to undertake additional discussions with the relevant
    authorities in order to investigate more fully these allegations and find solutions where necessary to ensure the safety of all competitors and the public during the staging of the events.

Once again we apologise for the delay in opening the registration and whilst we do not envisage any major problems re the staging of the events in 2011 we feel it vital that these issues be fully addressed before we are in a position to open registration.

Dates for next years diary remain as previously announced

VITRUVIAN TRIATHLON  saturday 3 September 2011

No idea what the complaints are (although a mate of mine was one of the bike marshalls this year so I may contact him and see if he knows), but I hope they're not so serious it buggers the event up.  image

Guess I'll just have to be patient a bit longer too!

• At a guess, it'd have to do with the amount of gel wrappers that were dropped. There were loads. Possibly also a few dangerous cyclists who were all DQed.
  • Are you supposed to put your gel wrappers in your pocket after you've finished them then?  Would people really complain about that though, don't they have litter pickers who go out round the route afterwards?  I guess people would complain about dangerous cycling though.

Bit frustrated though as I was getting excited about putting my entry in.  Plus I find it easier to work towards something once I've put my money where my mouth is and committed! image

• Two-Stroke Tart wrote (see)
    Are you supposed to put your gel wrappers in your pocket after you've finished them then?  Would people really complain about that though, don't they have litter pickers who go out round the route afterwards?  I guess people would complain about dangerous cycling though.

I s'pose, strictly speaking, it's litter dropping.  And how would you feel if an event took place near your home and you walked out of your front doo to a road covered in gel wrappers.  I am sure you would not appreciate it.  It's up to the participants to show respect for the course/marshalls. etc etc if we want the events to be held year after year.

Slightly off-topic but.....I ran a Half yesterday and tried looking for a bin to put my empty gel wrapper in.  A nice Policeman spotted me whirling about in a frenzy and asked me what was wrong.  When I told him what I was doing, he offered out his hand and said 'I'll take it for you' and promptly shoved it in his pocket. image

• Shove them up the leg of your shorts - it's easier than putting in your pockets and you really won't notice them. Definitely don't drop litter - I nearly slapped a chap in a sportif for throwing his rubbish into someone's garden! image
  • It's not hard to stuff your wrappers up your shorts or in your bento box, or use a gel bottle. The T&Cs of the race saying anyone who drops wrappers will be DQed. Why should volunteers have to go around the whole loop picking up rubbish? No need for it and potentially dangerous for the volunteers. IMHO it's lazy and disrespectful.

Are you supposed to put your gel wrappers in your pocket after you've finished them then?  Would people really complain about that though, don't they have litter pickers who go out round the route afterwards?  I guess people would complain about dangerous cycling though.

Bit frustrated though as I was getting excited about putting my entry in.  Plus I find it easier to work towards something once I've put my money where my mouth is and committed! image

I dont think its realistic to think litter pickers can cover a 50 mile bike course and find gel wrappers that have been blown into bushes, nettles, fields etc.  Its no harm to put them back in your pocket after youve used them.

Yes people will complain, races have enough difficulty with NIMBY residents trying to stop races going ahead.  One bloke tried to stop the Outlaw this year with a High Court injunction.  We dont want to give them any amunition to complain about us littering.
  • Ah, no, I wouldn't like to find loads of litter dropped outside my door, and yes, I probably would complain about it too, but didn't realise they specifically told you that you must not drop litter. 

I've only done one tri and about half a dozen small running events (well, apart from the GNR this year) and they ask you to drop your cups or bottles by the side of the course so they can be picked up easily afterwards by marshalls on the runs I've done.  The tri I did was only a sprint (at Dorney Lake) and I don't think anyone used gels or anything anyway. 

Nice, helpful policeman there Schmunkee! image

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    I dont think its realistic to think litter pickers can cover a 50 mile bike course and find gel wrappers that have been blown into bushes, nettles, fields etc.  Its no harm to put them back in your pocket after youve used them.

Sorry, but I just have to say this......

As the Vit is a two-loop course, they would only have to cover 25 miles to pick up litter image

*pops off to sit in norty corner for being cheeky*

Nice, helpful policeman there Schmunkee! image
    I was attracting them last week.  Got stopped by a plain-clothes police car on Thurs, but he let me off coz I was working. image
  • The wrappers will be blown everywhere. Both sides of the road = 50 miles. Not to mention the fact the wrappers won't be in a straight line.
  • Little Ninja wrote (see)
    The wrappers will be blown everywhere. Both sides of the road = 50 miles. Not to mention the fact the wrappers won't be in a straight line.
  • Maybe they should get the ones they disqualify for littering to sweep the course afterwards as an extra punishment image