I want to come clean...

Okay, I really need to come cleanimage

A few days back I posted that a friend of mine was considering entering IM Wales.

Well, there is no friend. In actual fact it is me myselfimage

I've not had a great time over the last 2 years. First I was diagnosed with cancer in 2008, but 6 months of Chemo put it in remission (21 months clear now!) Then at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. I had my thyrod zapped and now take thyroxin every day, so that's fixed now too

To cut a long story short, I've been doing the odd run and bike ride lately, but would basically be starting out from scratch. I am sitting here with my credit card at the ready, as it's been my dream since seeing IM Hawaii way back in around 1990 to complete an Ironman. My main worry is that I'm maybe too old now and would probably get injured in the journey. (I'm 45yrs old)I've already bought myself a copy of Don Fink's "Be IronFit". I bought it a few weeks back, and think it looks great.

If I do enter, what would be the chances of one of you great people helping me along the way? 

Being my buddy and mentor?

Sorry, it took me this long to pluck up the courage to come clean.

Yours in training

Pinotnoir

Comments

• image Dude where do you live? also I'd take a look throught the mentors thread. Two ticks and I'll find it for you.
  • I live in the Scottish Borders
  • thread image Found it there is lots of info on there and also read through and if you like the look of someone just contact them and ask for help. any questions and stuff just post on here or on the other threads. Good luck and stuff. image
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    You certainly won't be short of offers to help around here.

I'd be very happy to share my experiences with you as I started training for the Outlaw about this time last year, used Fink, and am about the same age as you. I had a running base but was new to cycling and swimming, and loved discovering these new sports (still haven't become too fond of swimming itself, though). There were plenty of milestones and worries along the way, most of them aired on here!

Good luck - and get some bike miles in now before the weather puts a hold on things....

• image Join us. Muuuaaarrrrhhhh!!!

pirates

There are quite a few people on here who can help you a lot mate. Don't worry about abilaty, age or the price of sliced bread just deside what you want to do and go for it. Where your mind with go your arse will follow. image

• Ah good on you Pinotnoir image Sorry to hear you've had a shitty time of it the past few years, but great news that you've been in remission 21 months; long may that continue.

I live in Edinburgh, and i've been doing a few rides in the Borders this year, so we could maybe do some rides together in the spring /summer if you fancy that? I'm training (or I will be image ) for IMR in August. I'm 34, about 3 stone overweight, and i've never been sporty AT ALL until the last couple of year, and even then, i'm a bit of a slowcoach. I'm trying to improve that though. I've had tons of advice and support from the lovely pirates, so get some kit, and come and join in image

p.s. sign up now before you change your mind!
  • Pinot good for you with the right amount of willpower you will make it ask all this years IM newbies, 45 you are just a young pupimage I will resereact the IM Training thread in January it turned out to be a great place for people to swop training experience if you need any advice PM me I am no ecpert but have cracked a few IMs now so have a slight clue what I am doingimage 
  • Pinotnoir,

Don't be embarrassed most of the posters on here don't have any friends either. Welcome aboard.

meface 'no-friends'

• Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    Ah good on you Pinotnoir image Sorry to hear you've had a shitty time of it the past few years, but great news that you've been in remission 21 months; long may that continue. I live in Edinburgh, and i've been doing a few rides in the Borders this year, so we could maybe do some rides together in the spring /summer if you fancy that? I'm training (or I will be image ) for IMR in August. I'm 34, about 3 stone overweight, and i've never been sporty AT ALL until the last couple of year, and even then, i'm a bit of a slowcoach. I'm trying to improve that though. I've had tons of advice and support from the lovely pirates, so get some kit, and come and join in image p.s. sign up now before you change your mind!
    imagePinotnoir please take the bad pea out and make sure she does some training or I have to do bad things to her. Don't gotget as well that we were all rubbish to start with and some off us still are. image

If you don't want to do the whole pirate thing you don't hae to but it means you get to meet cool people and me too if your unlucky. image
  • Yo, Lee the Pea, are you doing Ironman Wales?  I think you should image
  • PN -PM me. I'd PM you but you haven't enabled your e-mail on your profile

we have something in common to discuss
  • Nice one fb....and PN....if you get to have fb for a mentor, you could hardly do better....
  • pinotnoir - 45???? Just a mere babe. I'm 61.and there are others on here on the wrong side of 50 too.

Sorry to hear of your bad times, hopefully it's now all on the up. You can't do better than FB for a mentor.

• Pinot - there's a saying that some pirates use and I think it's great. 

'Feel the fear... and do it anyway.' image

The first step  is the hardest in any long adventure (in this case, probably clicking 'submit' on the entry form) but once that's done, all you have to do is train, eat, train, spend money, train etc etc.  It's all easy peasy from there. image

I did my first IM last year at 48... although I hadn't been through the mill like you.  I saw another saying yesterday 'We don't stop running because we get old, we get old because we stop running'.

Go on go on go on go on.

• Pinotnoir

please mail Fat Budda, you really will not get a better mentor, he helped me no end, including some none sports stuff.