Liverpool Parkrun

Isn't it about time we had a Parkrun in Liverpool?

I'd like to know who would be interested in attending a weekly Parkrun?

Comments

• Being on the Wirral I'd rather it be this side of the water, but a Liverpool one would be good also
  • I've been hoping for a parkrun to start up in Liverpool, Warrington or St Helens, I live in widnes and the parks aren't that big.
  • I live in Warrington and I'd be up for a Liverpool parkrun. There's already 3 in Manchester which isn't that far away but the bigger the choice the better for us runners
  • sibyrne2000 wrote (see)
    I've been hoping for a parkrun to start up in Liverpool, Warrington or St Helens, I live in widnes and the parks aren't that big.
    Si - who do you run with in Widnes, I live there too and there are no Male running clubs, only Widnes Wobblers or whatever there called for the women
  • I think the whole parkrun thing is brilliant.

I regularly travel from the Wirral to do the parkruns in Manchester and Stockport. [Heaton Park / Bramhall Park / Woodbank Park / South Manchester (Platt Fields)]

A parkrun nearer to home would be great. image

• Marshallini...... In your opinion, which of the 3 manchester parkruns is best for parking and which one is the easiest to get to ?

I've never actually run one as yet but have pencilled one in for 13 November.

Had a look on their individual websites and Bramhall seems the easiest to get to but dont want to arrive and then have to park 3 miles away if you know what I mean.

• Obviously it depends where you are coming from, but Platt Fields is the easiest to get to for me from Ellesmere Port.

Bramhall Park ; I park on St Micheal's Ave  and jog down towards the large roundabout and the start is just inside the park, about 400m in total.

Two laps, This is the most "multi terrain" course with close to half of it being unpaved, but nothing to extreme. two challenging hills as well makes for a good course.

Heaton Park; I park on Park Road it's about 900m from the start.

Generally well surfaced. A small lap followed by a big lap, which has a reasonabley tough hill to take on.

Woodbank Park;  Has it's own car park and is a 500m jog to the start at the track.

The course is two laps with a short (200m) off road section and it has "the hill" (v. tough)

South Manchester (Platt Fields);   I park on Grangethorpe Road and it's 200m to the start.

This course is dead flat, predominantly tarmac, but does have a decent gravelly path section  (800m at the start and 500 near the end), it has quite a few turns but nothing that'll slow you down, definite pb potential.

Hope that helps.

(map links aren't exact and are for guidance only)

• JPenno I'm not a member of any club but have been looking at Halton and Frodsham harriers athletics club who train on Wade Deacon school field and spectrum striders in Warrington. Only just getting back into running after time off due to injury, on week 7 of the beginners schedule. 'widnes wobblers' lol you'll get some stick if any of them see that!
  • Thanks for the feedback. I am hoping to organise a Parkrun in Liverpool starting early next year.
  • would it be a weekly race ? if so  would it be a 5k? or is it just a group run.

Croxteth park would make a good venue for a 5k with a lap of the small woods and crocked hat woods making up the distance.

there are lots of other parks that would be ideal for a Liverpool park run including Sefton park,Calderstones park,Walton hall park,Otterspool park,Clarke gardens,Stanley park

• Hi Jakesy,

It will be weekly. 5K. 1 lap. Hopefully Sefton Park.

• sounds good, we already have the mystery 5k but they only run monthly for 5 months of the year.

I run for Liverpool rc and i know that some of the more competitive runners like myself would be up for a weekly 5k.

would it be an evening or weekend run,Sundays are normally long run or road race/xc race days but an  evening or saturday would probably be a good time.

I suppose Sefton park would be a good central position for the races as it would attract the local clubs,Penny lane,Liverpool Harriers,Mossley hill,picton,Liverpool rc and also local non club runners and students.

I hope you can make this happen Russel,its a very good idea

• I think it's a great idea and about time Liverpool had one. I run with PLS (perhaps I should say 'jog'). I'm hoping to get Sefton Park but it all depends on 'approval'.

Parkruns are normally run on Saturdays at 9 a.m. so we will try to adhere to that. I know it's a bit strange for most runners to race on Saturdays but hope they will find a place for it on their schedule. It will of course be free to enter.  I'm hoping the race will attract a wide variety of runners from good club runners to absolute beginners. Everyone will be welcome and encouraged. We will do our best to channel new runners into running clubs and publicise local races and in general build a community. We will from time to time need runners to volunteer their time to help marshal. We are aiming to start in the new year all things going well!

• Russel have you contacted parkrun already? Think I read on their site it can take little over 5 weeks for a new event to be organised. How are the runners timed in the run, is there a Marshall at the end with a stop watch? Looking forward to it already, think I'll go and register on the parkrun site.
  • Hi Sibyrne,

We are in contact with Parkrun. I think January is realistic. We won't be able to run a Parkrun without sufficient volunteers and Christmas could be difficult (initially) to find people. We also hope to avoid the worst of the wintry conditions although thinking about it January might be worse! Everyone shares the same start time. At the end of the race runners are filtered into a funnel and their barcode is scanned by a Marshal and uploaded to a laptop to record their time. This data is then sent to the Parkrun website which will keep a permanent record of results. There will also be a race clock at the finish for runners to see their time.

Take a look at the Parkrun website.

• Hi all,

Just a few things which I feel I need to clarify.

parkrun always takes place at 9am on a saturday in England and they take place EVERY saturday.

parkruns are always free to enter. You sign up once at www.parkrun.com and then get a barcode so that we can identify you no matter which parkrun you take part in. There are now 49 parkruns across the world.

At parkrun we guarantee you a start and a finish. Times are are a bonus which we have always provided but as parkrun is NOT a race we are not obliged to provide these.

We NEVER have a race clock at the finish.

Finally, we are parkrun and never Parkrun or Park Run. Appreciate your help on this please!

thanks

• I think a park run would be a really good way to help give people a stepping stone from being a beginner into becoming a more regular runner, and then into joining one of the local running clubs.

I think it is a good idea Russ.

p.s. Looks like someone has laid down the law one when and how this can and should be done.  We are Liverpool; We are not, and will not ever be parkrun, Park Run or Parkrun.

• Hail Hail

somebody laying down the law?  Just FYI - Paul is the mastermind behind parkrun.  He has nominated as one of the Heroes of Running last year in RW.  He has also pretty much personally funded parkrun in the first few years before Sweatshop, Nike and Lucozade came on board.  parkrun has certain standards to maintain in order to meet the expectations of runners around the country.  Thats all. 

Paul - top job, well done.

Russ - good luck with your Liverpool set-up.

• You've got to give Paul utmost respect for what he has done and what parkrun is all about.

All the parkruns I have done have been excellent in regards to organisation and this standard should be maintained.

Seconding the best wishes for a successful Liverpool parkrun, good work Russ, I will be there to support the first ones.

• Oh dear Minsterman...  image

'WE' are NOT Liverpool !!!!
    We are a collective group of runners from a wide and varied selection of surrounding areas hoping for a 'parkrun' event to be organised in Liverpool.

Paul Sinton-Hewitt is Mr parkrun.
    parkrun was his baby, his idea, his creation.

Please have a look at.......  http://parkrun.com/contactus.aspx

• Yep, a man who can turn a concept into an organisation with 70,000+ registered runners, of whom 6,000+ partake each and every week at 49 venues, deserves at least to have some say in branding matters! image
  • Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support and interest shown.
  • I registered with parkrun yesterday, hoping to run one soon. Has anyone got the parkrun app for the iPhone, I was wondering if it had the same kind of facility as the tesco club card were your personal barcode can be scanned off your phone?
  • So who's going to change the thread title then...?  image

Good luck getting going in Liverpool, i'm surprised a city that big hasn't already got one. I 'run' in the Milton Keynes one and it is great, and a great organization too. I'd like to see as many parkruns out there as possible so no matter where you are you can join in these great running events.

Thanks to parkrun and PSH... image

• We are looking forward to a parkrun in Liverpool. Its been missing for some time now. I and the team are ready to help with whatever it takes to get this one started.
  • As a PLS runner who lives in Widnes I think it is a great idea and something that is sadly missing from our region best of luck getting this event off the ground folks.
  • Just bookmarked this thread - great idea. 

Please can you keep us informed of progress.

Good luck

• I would be interested. I don't want to go to Manchester every week.

Warrington is a VERY wide town. I live on the absolute west edge. It takes twice as long to get to Manchester as it does to Liverpool!

• I was involved in setting up the Black Park parkrun in Slough and am there organising most weeks, and I've got to say it's been one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. If you start it you'll soon have a core of volunteers that will make it work, and in your area I suspect it'll grow really quickly. Any questions or queries please feel free to drop me a line.
  • Did my first ever parkrun on the Toon Moor in Newcastle last Saturday - loved the friendly & informal feel to it all.  It's what you want to make it imho.  The coffee stall was doing a roaring trade image

parkrun in Liverpool?  Count me in!!