Bob Graham Round

Attempting the BG in july next year, done 2 marathons pb 3h31 . Been lookin at train etc for BG just appreciate any tips an advice from people on here.Gonna start trainin in november do people think that long enough? people think 10,000ft climbin PW is neede d is that enough? We thinkin of goin1am is that good time|?

How many miles per week should i be doin. for my marathon i been doin between 20-45 , obviously need more for the bg. Is it worth doin a recce before hand an  offering to help others on theres, an there 3 of us doin it, how much support would we need. 1 of us is good navigator other 2 cant tho we gonna learn how good a navigator do u need to be, is basic knowledge ok if 1 of us good. Weigths is important what percentage of time should be done on weights an cardio 50-50?

Thanks for any tips advice

Comments

• Have you ever done any fell running?  This is one of the biggest challenges available in the UK - Doing 2 marathons in 3.30 is nothing at all like this!!  All credit to you for thinking of attempting it.  I know a few people who have attempted this year on year and not yet completed it and a couple who have - and the sense of achievement and elation (and complete collapse towards the end.... if you get that far image) is immense.

I assume you have done more research than you sound like you've done - good place to start is

BG Round

Good navigation skills are a must - I'm surprised you asked that.   You all must be able to navigate at night in the dark and in bad weather confidently.  if you get lost - your attempt is over......  More than one navigator as well - what if he's injured?  Hill skills are paramount - you must know how to be in the hills. 

• Done a few fell races but none were i used any navigation, will learn some navigation skills.I have done quite a bit of research and know its a very hard challeng only 1 in 3 pass, been on the BG website an others dedicated to it. So know a lot of what is required, just want as much info an suggestions to help plan our attempt.  Confident we will do it if weather is good as  we all determined an will put in plenty of work.

• Offering to help out on others attempts is a seriously good idea, as is coming up to the Lakes and running various bits of your route beforehand in training.  You must learn to navigate confidently - you cannot rely on someone else - to me that is a matter of part of the challenge.  I live in the Lakes and know the routes, train on the fells and have been involved in hill walking, fell running all my life but still don't feel ready for the BG.  I suspect I may be tempted to attempt 50 at 50......! image  I think one of the biggest things you need is experience at the terrain, huge amounts of endurance and mental stamina.  Not sure where you're going with the "weights" thing.  Fell runners generally are built like whippets not body builders image

I wish you luck.  I hope you pull it off.

• Thought of doin weights to get good core strength an stronger legs for the climbin. Helpin others will be somin we will do as i never been to the lakes before so i can see the route an terrain, also get advice of people who know what they doing. Only been running 18 months so only done about 15 fell races from 4 -22 miles. Will learn to navigate there is a navigation course on the welsh fell runners site so will get on that.

Good luck with 50 at 50 that would be an achievement , 50 peaks. I will be happy doin 42 @ 35 .

• Whilst I admire your enthusiasm judging from what you have written I would be amazed if you were ready for this by July as A. you admit to not knowing the terrain and never having been to the Lakes at all and B. your lack of navigation skills.

Don't take this the wrong way but if I were you I would postpone you attempt for at least a few years and use the time to hone your navigation skills and learn everything you can about the route.

Good luck.

• Cheers Chewie, undertsand your coments but gonna go for it, worst that can happen is we dont make it in time. Got 8 months to get fitter , learn to navigate an do a few runs over the terrain!. Could walk it in 24 hrs IMO. so gettin fit to run/ walk it in 8 months should be achievable. Navigation skills can be learnt they do a weekend course . Only thing i worried about is the weather , otherwise i believe we will do it.
  • OK. If you haven't already may I suggest you read "Feet In The Clouds" to see the level of commitment needed.
  • Thanks aint read it will have a look at it thank you for suggestion any help appreciated.
  • I understand what Chewie is getting at but i'd say go for it as well - simply because you're right, the worst that can happen is that you get to try again.  Feet in the clouds is one of my favourite running books - excellant choice! 

BTW - don't think you could walk it in 24hrs!

• 66 miles........ nearly 27,000ft of ascent - no, you certainly couldn't walk it in 24 hrs.......
  • 3 miles an hour! wouldnt be far away. know it be tough up the hills 27,00ft but lots of downhill 27,000ft.Walkin an runnin should be well doable if weather ok an u dont get lost.Obviously need to put lots of effort in an we will. just need some luck

• Bob wightman website has a trainin section for runners an walkers for the BGR
  • I'd advise you pop upand have a look at some of those fells - they are surprisingly BIG mountains...

I've been fell walking in the Lakes most of my life and know and love large parts of the route - but I wouldnt fancy being caught out in vest and shortsin bad weather, (which comes in very fast and without warning at any time of year), despite being pretty familair with an OS map and compass....

Maybe have a go at a few organised fell races in the Lakes to get used to the terrain and just how tough it can be on the peaks before having a go on your own, with limited navigation skills....?

• Cheers kicked it, we defo gettin some fell races in the lakes an will try an accompany other attempts an will be familiar with terrain, 1 of us in familiar with territory an good at map readin, got offers of help of people who are also, iwill be learnin myself.

Any fell races in mind kicked it?

Not far from snowdon so will do a bit up there also just to get used to hills an the terrain. also run along offas dyke.

• Good website for suitable fell races and calendars for them?
  • 90 I would get up there and walk just one small  section of the route, then rethink the whole 3 miles an hour thing!

• The fact you think you can manage 3mph on 27,000ft of ascent tells me you have no idea!  LOL!  BTW - the downhills are worse!!  Still, I admire your ambition and really do wish you all the best.  If you need a pacer - let me know.  The Fell Clubs up here may also be of assistnce - they're often up for pacing attempts (if you can keep up with them...... image).  Take a look at the Fell Runners Association Website.
  • whats the worst that can happen ??

ummm if you're unlucky mountain rescue don't find you before you die ?

just saying like.

• I like the one where a passer-by offers the finisher a chip outside the moot hall image
  • I like the climb up Broad Stand........ not technically the BG I think that guy was finishing the 214 peaks........... you can breathe again 90! image  Oh God, you've got me thinking about this......... can't believe I'm thinking about it. (eek!)
  • Cheers Ed m sure that wont happen but we will plan an prepare help limit chances of that happening. Thanks tigerlily we gonna see what help we got and organize it in next few weeks, will put you down be great thanks. Or you  can attempt it with us if you like more the merrierimage!!! Broad stand is that the climbing bit with ropes? i wanna avoid that bit.
  • Seen that 1 Mr puffy made me laugh that, wanna chip mateimage
  • Chewie that clip depressed me lol. were an when is that on attempt are they near end?Good weather though hate the heat much rather that weather as long as visibility ok
  • 90 - the FRA website is best place for fell race calendar, and also has a dedicated Bob Graham Forum

I know a couple of people who had been primarily road marathon runners successfully complete the BG, so I would say GO FOR IT! image

I'll be BG-ing myself in June, so PM me if you fancy meeting up for recces... image

• Cheers daz will look on there, will defo message you about recce be great thanks good luck with attempt.
  • 90 - how's the training going?

I did a night recce from Blencathra to Helvellyn last month, and am now gearing up for regular "Long Days Out": weekend jaunts for "time-on-feet", alternating with "big hill reps" to get the ascending/descending in image 

• Hi Daz , since snowdon marathon my knee was sore so only started running 2 weeks ago. Doing the Mortimers fell race on sunday. Then gonna pull my finger out and start doin some long stuff. Off to the lakes in jan for a long un. Never done a night run b4 sounds fun

How did your run go?

Peter

• Perhaps it would be worth looking at the Lakeland 50: www.lakeland100.com or the 10 Peaks Challenge: www.10peaks.com as alternatives. Both of these events take place in July and might provide a good option if your training doesn't quite go to plan. They would provide you with a good step up to the big one for the following year. Good luck with your preparation.

Paul