Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• I'd say the best way to train your mind about diet and exercise is to do WW points system for a bit (or what ever they call it now). It can take a bit of time to record everything, but you come to understand what food costs you in points and which ones are free or less points but fill you up. It also allows you to convert exercise into negative pints so you begin to understand the relationship your body has with food and exercise.

Doing a bit better this weekend so far. I was a bit worried yesterday about my run (week 4 of the RW beginner prog). I'd had a niggling ankle pain, for which I'd stopped and rested for a couple of weeks. Just a little twinge which i think was more in my imagination.

I'd also done a Weight Watchers beef stew b4 going out which was cooking in the oven while I ran. With a run, a healthy meal and just a couple of pints of re-hydration fluid in the local I'd lost a couple of pounds. I think it is easier for men though, if they eat right and exercise. I think women's bodies, while much nicer aesthetically, are a bit more complex.

Right another portion of stew and a baked jacket P with Football Focus (up the Baggies) then maybe pop out for a new pair of trainers. I'm not sure my old ones are springy enough any more.

Stay +ive, it's a mental battle more than anything I think.

JBiT

• Puffin1"Okay, note to self - do not go to Sainsburys after a run, you wil be hungry and put treats in the basket....

never mind, tomorrow is another day."

to that I add

"note to self - do not go to Sainsburys after a run.....and definitely not the waitrose around the corner....and please God make the better health company shop window displaying scrumptious cakes completely invisible to me"

• Zara, I just make it past cakes and pastries without caving in, so I'm well proud of myself. Think you might have to start running past these places very quickly - call it speedwork image

Ended up going out for a bit of a stroll with hubby which was nice and just about to start getting sorted out for party.  It's an early one starting at 3pm (house warming), so I've got some non alcoholic drinks to take and we are being fed lasagne for dinner, so I'm going to be good and not eat too much.

I think the most important thing is to take each day at a time.  There will be good days and bad days, but that is true of almost everything in life.

On that philosophical note I think I'll head off now.

Good luck all

C x

• big curry last night and burger and chips tonight.  start diet tomorrowimage
  • Like you Corrah forgot to weigh myself this morning (middle child up ill overnight) so will try and remember in the morningimage

Am writing it down for the 1st time ever to see if that helps

Hoping to squeeze in a run later

• wow, great to see so many have joined this thread.

Well done to all who have shed pounds already!

I am pleased to report 2lbs off this week whooohooo!image 

I'm very pleased after the dissappointing few weeks I've had! I have actually very slightly increased what I have been eating and think this may have sort of kick started my metabolism again! Fingers crossed it continues!

Have also done a lovely steady 6 mile run today. May not be much to some of you, but for someone who couldn't run for 60 seconds 3 1/2 months ago it's not bad!!image

Keep up the good work all !

• Well done, keep it up. 
  • Right Sunday new week new start image

last day of the holiday today back to work tomorrow or i would have been if I did not have a 3 day first aid course to attend I normal work nights with a 7pm start so it will be nice to be home on an evening but it does mean that I will be have to be careful what I eat this week image 

But hopefully being out of the house all day and then if i train on an evening it won’t give me a lot of time to pick

Had a lovely homemade ham leek and pea soup for tea yesterday off for dinner at the sister –in –laws today so again must be careful image

Sluggish Wonder well done for losing the 2lb and don’t put yourself down 6 miles is 6 miles it  the distance of a 10k race and in 3 and a half months is a great result image

Slowsal hope middle H/L is feeling better 2nd time though you forgot to weight your self image

Andrew welcome

Corrah well done for getting past the cakes and pastries without caving  imagemay be advisable to change your route thereby avoiding temptation all together  good advice about taking it one day at a time an if even that’s too long break it down even further in to an hour or 10 minutes

Jon Boy again welcome where do you get the point system from and your right it is a mental battle just like the training it is sometimes hard to get out of the door and yes if you’re like me there will be days when you say s** it but I got to try to remember what it feels like when you’re out there and the sense of well being you get when you just finished a good run

• Hi everyone

Just spotted this thread - which is great as I need something to get me back on track.

Started running in April and lost over a stone.  The past month I've lost a couple of pounds, then put it back on - so am wobbling around the 10.5 stone (but I'm only 5.3).   I'm looking to get to around 9 - 9.5 stone so this will be a great motivation tool to get my a*se into gear.

I've got a bit lazy, food wise, really - not really eating as much fruit, drinking enough water, and indulging in too many jaffa cakes.  So will start my conscious healthy eating tomorrow morning.  Today I weight 145lbs (10.5 stone) so will report in during the week / next Sunday.

Well done to everyone and lovely to see some old (and new) faces

JESS xxx

• I have only lost 6lb in 5 months .Am a bit fat and need to get on track too. Can I join in?

xx

• toby3 wrote (see)

Jon Boy again welcome where do you get the point system from

If you're like me you pinch your sisters old Weight Watcher books. But you can either join a group or if your shy do it on-line.

I found it helped in getting my head around the impact of what I was eating and doing. It also doesn't give you any hiding place, you can't think 'well it's only one slice of cake' or a few pints because when you add up your points and see what it really means. I think it's also good in getting you to cook the meals from scratch. I found you get so much more satisfying meals when you do this as they tend to be bulked out with veg.

Right I'm out to restart week 5 on the beginners prog. It looks a brilliant day to be running.

• Still managing to be healthy, woke up with a rumbling belly this morning which is a good sign, had porridge for breakfast image (is that a halo? or do i look like Norman Wisdom??)

Sluggish Wonder image well done on your 2lb, fantastic. and for running 6 miles, many people could not even walk that far.

Sal hope middle HL feels better. Weighing everything you eat will also help.

Waves to Jess, fancy meeting you here!

Hello and waves to everyone else, sorry i haven't time to repl to everyone, off to make beef stew (and loads of veg) for tea, then out for a country walk as rest day from running today

• John Boy - it is a brilliant day to be out running, but completely dead on my feet after an interval training session yesterday, so will try to make it a day where I eat healthily and go out for a nice walk in the sunhsine.

Corrah - you are right, one day at a time it is. I don't have a choice but to pass those shops on my cool down walk back to the house.....image)

Sluggish wonder - absolutely fantastic to hear you did 6 miles and lost 2 lb! I started out running 30 sec a few months ago, and trying my first 2K this week, and you give me hope image. You must feel absolutely great!

• Started the year at 20 stone 10, am now 15 stone 11, almost 5 stone in 9 months. Mainly running and a change of diet! So proud of myself!
  • ta Tobyimage

wow Mark -well doneimage

• Zara Wood wrote (see)

John Boy - it is a brilliant day to be out running, but completely dead on my feet after an interval training session yesterday, so will try to make it a day where I eat healthily and go out for a nice walk in the sunhsine.

It was but i found it a bit challenging. Horrendous and fantastic at the same time. I was glad to stop and pick up dog poo for a few seconds (It was my dogs I'm not weird). But I'm back to w5, 8min run + 2min walk x 3. I've got back some focus since returning to running. I find it goes hand in hand.

Julia - Porridge is great. I always feel so good all morning afterwards, like my stomach is happy. I've started to sprinkle it with cinnamon, which I think I read somewhere it helps regulate glucose levels and stops crashing, but is actually just nice.

Today isn't going to be totally saintly for me, but I've had a good dinner (roasted my 1st chicken with loads of veg). I'll pop over the road for the pub quiz tonight, but I think as long as you limit the damage you can enjoy a treat. I think it's a matter of enjoying the nice things in smaller but better quality measures and relishing them all the more for it. 

• Hi all,

Lovely afternoon for running, it was actually quite warm in the sunshine so I had a gallop across the crountryside and am shortly going to start on the roast for tonight's supper image.    Mmmm the talk of porridge has actually made me glad it's autumn, I stop having it in the summer as it makes me too hot but there's nothing better on a cold morning.  I like to add flaked almonds and strawberry jam.

Zara - how did the 2k go?

Jon Boy - there's really nothing like the feeling of your fitness coming back again, well done for getting back out there.

• Puffin 1 - 2 K is this Thursday,  am psyching myself up for that one. I am just starting week 6 on couch to 5K, 8 min x 1 + 5 min x 2, but its the thought of running it all non-stop thats worrying me a bit.

Jon Boy - I find the first five minutes of the warm up session the most horrendous, till both my mind and body decide to sync and accept that I am going to run -you sound like you are on the c to 5K plan too?

• Bloomin fairy cakes, why did i have to make them? Still we had a lovely walk through some woods today image 

Zara I get so fed up with Health Food shops selling such lovely things that are so high in calories........ flapjack, yoghourt raisins to name but 2 image It won't make you feel any better but the warm-up is always bad, it never gets easier whether you run half a mile or 26 but at least if you know that then you're prepared? A great deal of running is in the mind, you CAN do it, if you tell yourself that and take it slowly you will make it easily.

Mark you've done fantastic, you have every reason to be proud. image

Jon i've heard about cinamon too, i must try it as i will confess to a dribble of golden syrup this morning..... but as you say, in moderation, and i am planning a really long run later in the week. (glad to hear it was your dogs poo by the way!)

Puffini'm enjoying the autumn feeling too, it smelt like fireworks and bonfires this evening. A good time for soups and stews image

Welcome Stu, the more the merrier

• Waves back to Julie T and Toby 3

I'll have to start first thing tomorrow morning considering I've just indulged in a chip barm!  Ran 9 miles today (furthest I've ever done) and felt fine when I got back.  Half way home from my friends, I was suddenly ravenous - so stopped for a cheeky chippy!

I'll start tomorrow morning image

Hope everyone is well

xx

• I could do with some chips at the mo Jessimage Got stinkin' cold and cannot think of low fat comfort food-lol

Julia -I am definately  for everything in moderation. My aim is to eat  around the same but move more outside of my runningimage

• Zara and Julia - Julia is spot on about the warm up, no matter how long you run the first 10 mins of each session are always the hardest until you get warmed up.  You just have to push through and it will feel brilliant.  Zrar - once you've done the 2k once you wont look back!!

Jess - well done on your first 9 miler.

• Zara Wood wrote

Jon Boy - I find the first five minutes of the warm up session the most horrendous, till both my mind and body decide to sync and accept that I am going to run -you sound like you are on the c to 5K plan too?

I like the fact that your mind can overcome your body. I think it's one of the things I love about running the belief that you can overcome, despite the evidence.

I'm doing the beginner prog on the RW. 0-30min. I don't think it matters though as long as you lace them up.

Julia T wrote (see)

Jon i've heard about cinnamon too, i must try it as i will confess to a dribble of golden syrup this morning..... but as you say, in moderation, and i am planning a really long run later in the week. (glad to hear it was your dogs poo by the way!)

I've heard good thinks about the power of grapefruit as well.

• Morning All, well that wasn't a good weekend for me! Girlfriends birthday so 1 night out with too much lager and 1 night with a rather large steak etc at home!! Didn't go for two long hilly walks though! Will weigh tomorrow, didn't think it would be a good result this morning image and I have the gym to look forward to this morning.
  • Morning

No run this morning as middle child still poorlyimage

Finally remembered to weigh myself yesterday - 10 st 12 so 1 lb goneimage

LOL at the chip barm Jess

Well done Sluggish Wonderimage

Struggling with the eating in moderation bit - will try harder this week

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I shall be joining you on here as I'm another who needs to lose weight - I could do with losing at least 1.5 stone (if not more!).

I've actually been tracking my weight for about 5 years now and was 13st 10lb at one point in the past. Nowadays I am around 15st 3lb. I say 'around' as I've just been away for a few days. Which meant too much rich food, the odd drink or two and not enough fresh fruit or vegetables. So I don't know what my actual weight is at the moment. I always used to weigh myself on a Sunday morning so will stick to that routine. But I will probably jump on the scales later to check on where things stand at the moment and how much damage has been done! I don't see the need to weigh myself any more than once a week as I know weight can fluctuate so much from day to day.

Like everyone else I know there is no magic to this weight loss lark - you either need to consume less calories or burn more. I'm hoping now I am back running after an ankle injury, the 'burn more' side of things will improve. Its the 'consume less' side that I find more difficult (it's Mrs WM's fault for cooking such nice meals!). The one thing I am aware of is that if I get back into my running - and manage to clear enough room in my garage for the weight training bench as well - there's a possibility of putting on muscle which weighs more. But I won't be kidding myself about that - its just something else to be aware of. In the past I took a photo of myself (not for public consumption!) so that I could do a before & after comparison. Something tells me I need to do the same thing now so I have an up-to-date 'before' picture! image

• Jess we'll let you off, you had a spare 1000 cals or so image

Stu hope you're feeling better today <<<hands tissue>>>>

Waves to Puffin

Hmm Jon, i like grapefruits. Also green tea is supposed to speed up the metabolism. not so keen on that tho image

Lobes at least you are here confessing and not pretending it didn't happen. Have one of these for being honest image

Sal fantastic at your 1lb, wishing you HL better soon

Waves to Mel, fancy seeing you here image Is it worth getting Mrs Mel to measure you so you can also check on inch loss? (steady, i can sense rude thoughts entering peoples heads here.....)

I am weighing tomorrow, first thing, naked, after a wee........fingers crossed, i think i've had a good week and am hoping for a pound.

• and waves to everyone else, hope you're doing well
  • Quote Mel"In the past I took a photo of myself (not for public consumption!) so that I could do a before & after comparison. Something tells me I need to do the same thing now so I have an up-to-date 'before' picture!"

I like that idea very very much!