LenserH7 or Fenix HP10

I need to buy a head torch as I have some winter 10k races through forests and hillsides coming up. I will also use it to run 10 miles into and 10 miles out of work alongside a road.

I have read various reviews and posts regarding the above and just can't make up my mind which one to go for. Each has pros and cons which I see as:

Lenser H7
German made (possible pro), lighter weight (approx. 155g), infinite number of lighting levels, very bright 170 lumen max, no 3rd strap to head band (my biggest worry is it slipping down my head when running), not sure how waterproof it is (not a deal breaker)

Fenix HP10
Waterproof, ridiculous max of 225 lumen, heavier weight (approx. 230g) due to larger AA batteries, does have a 3rd head strap so should be stable.

I have ruled out the Petzl Myo XP on the grounds the above torches are similar prices but offer superior levels of light.

Anyone want to chip in and help me with my dilema?

Comments

• Not used either of those but i run happily in the pitch black on bike paths with an Alpkit Gamma.

If I was racing cross country then I'd need a bit more illumination. I do have a couple of Fenix normal torches and they are fantastic though - great pieces of kit.

• Why not buy them both and then send the one back you don't like. New distance selling regulations mean you have 7 days to return the product; no quibbles.

That's what I would do because until you have them both you won't really know.

Loving Outdoors
  • nice plug for you website Scott but can I suggest you read the forum T&Cs?? they say no commercial advertising

so please pay like all those over here --------------------------->>>
  • We have been over there before, just not on there at the moment.

To be honest I find it is better to be super clear where I am from on forums especially when helping people with advice; newbies and veterans. Don't want to appear bias.

I can assure you "fat buddha" I certainly won't be trying to push sales. I am here for the same reason everyone else is, to follow the running community and get/offer advice.

One question...your nickname on here. Do you practice? Reason I ask is because went to a temple with some friends a while ago in Lake District to learn meditation and really enjoyed it. Was Manjushri Mahayana Buddhist Centre
  • Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I am well aware of the distance selling regulations and it is a good idea.
    However, it relies on me getting round to sending one of them back.

I shall consider it.

Smalleyboy
  • scott - it might be easier leaving your website link off any replies - that way you won't get the wrath of the forum.. image (it's on your name anyway so that should suffice)

"One question...your nickname on here. Do you practice?"

all I will say is HAHAHAHAHA...image I am a complete agnostic/borderline atheist - the name comes from the way I look when I sit like my avatar. yes - I have that pot belly look! although if I was to look at adopting any religion, then buddhism would come closest to my life ethics...
  • ha ha, funny!

Thanks for the suggestion with the link, you are right probably better to leave it out to avoid upsetting people here.

"Smalleyboy" - Hope you get it sorted, think they are both good head torches so you can't really go too wrong with either I think.
  • scott - as an aside - I see you sell the Q-link products.

do you believe all that SRT bollocks or is it just a good money spinner?? if you do believe it you might want to add your tenpennorth to the rubber hologram bands thread on this page which is like a sceptics convention - we need fresh meat to rip the piss out of.... image
  • I am not sure I am mentally ready for the wrath that happens on these forums just yet!

I was defo a sceptic but it has helped me beyond the expectations of a placebo. It was pushed predominantly to golfers in the States in 2009, sold 1 million units and now 350 touring golf pro's wear one like Nick Faldo.

I would put something in the sceptics forum but then they would all end up wanting one and they wouldn't have anything to take the piss out of anymore! ha ha OM might throw me off the forum!
  • nah - if you believe it, post on there. we're unlikely to be persuaded to part with the top $ you're asking for but who knows??
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I've got an HP10, but so far all I've done is wave it around a bit in the back garden.
    It's quite bright!
    No idea if it's any good to run with though image
  • Ian M,

Does it feel heavy or cumbersome when you are wearing it?
    I like the extra head strap it has compared with the Lenser L7 but it weighs approx 75 grammes more than the L7.

I know 75 grammes isn't much but on your head for a couple of hours it might make a difference.

Why not put your trainers on tonight and venture out into the darkness and give us all a review tomorrow?!
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    What? Go outside? And get wet?!!
    I'll think about it image
  • I have the fenix and have used it on all night ultras. The top strap makes it a very comfortable unit, VERY bright with outstanding battery life. In truth I can not fault it simply superb bit of kit all round.
  • There I was leaning towards the Lenser and now it is swinging back towards the Fenix.

Does anyone out there have the Lenser H7 and want to tell me how great or otherwise it is?
  • Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Right, I'm back from battling through the elements to test out the hp10.
    Run was farm tracks, open fields and woodland footpaths and bridleways with a bit of drizzle.
    The light is nice and bright, stable and very comfy, pretty much equivalent to wearing a cap imo. Lights up the trails well, though depth perception isn't on par with daylight so got caught by the occasional stone and wet root, but I don't think that can be blamed on the light.
    The only slight niggle is that it would be nice if the power level button was on the top and the on/off on the left, but it's a pretty minor niggle.
  • Ian M,

Sterling effort.

Thanks for posting the results of your late night foray into the darkness. I have decided to order an HP10 on the strength of the various positive reviews I have read, including yours.

Thanks once again.

• shawkshawk ✭✭✭
    I was in the market for a head torch and had it down to these two also, have just ordered the Fenix. Will post my opinion once I've taken it out for a run.
  • I used the lenser all last winter here in norway on ski trails and fire roads and it saved me having a much bulkier silva or some orienteering type. There's enough spread and brightness to not get that weird tunnel vision thing. The fenix would be great too, no doubt. Bear in mind that if you take the log of the ratio between the two outputs x 10 you have the decibel difference, which is better for senses and isn't much difference. I'd go by any reports of comfort problems, beam spread, ergonomics etc. Also I would look up satisficing on wikipedia image
  • SteveC,

Satisficing - interesting article on Wiki.

I doubt there is much between the Lenser and the Fenix but the issue of the third head band on the Fenix swung although I actually prefer the functionality of the lenser.

Such is the joy of the web that we can scrutinise every minor aspect of any product we so desire!
  • Good point about the over-the-head band. I found that necessary with the somewhat heavier Princeton Tec Apex headlight, but the Lenser H7 is sufficiently light that I don't feel I need one. Mind you, that was last year, I might feel different soon image
  • I've a Petzl Myo RXP, which is fractionally lighter than the Fenix, and it's quite pleasant to run with. It also has the over-the-top band.

(If anyone wants to purchase me a Petzl Ultra or Silva Alpha, I'd be happy to test them and report back.)

Rennur

• They reviewed head torches in this months Trail Running Magazine. The Lenser H7 came top and won best in test but the Fenix wasn't in the test.

Worth noting there is a rechargeable version of the H7 called the H7R which while £20 more on Amazon would probably save that in batteries. I plan on buying it at some point cause I can't face the next 6 months on streets. When I do I'll post my opinion, if I remember.
  • I would not buy a rechargable head torch rather I would buy rechargable batteries that could be used in a head torch.
  • I believe the H7R is exactly the same as the H7 except it had an extra socket for plugging the charger into and the batteries are rechargeable ones. I believe the rechargeable batteries can be removed and alkaline or lithium batteries can also be used.

I tested the HP10 last night in the garden and the light it produces is nothing short of amazing. From what I saw last night, it can produce more light than you would reasonably require for simply running on the road. This is at the higher settings, the lower settings produce a good useable level of light. The lighter Lenser which has a slightly lower lumen level would probably be ideal for roads. I plan to do a 10 mile road run early newt week and will report back on how it performs.

Where the HP10 is likely to come into its own is if you are running off road. I also have some 10K off road races coming up over the next few months which will be a good test.

• one of the triathlon mags (can't remember if it's 220 or Triathlon+) have a review of torches in this month's issue - including the Lenser, Fenix and Petzl models

if I recall correctly all 3 scored 80%+ with the Petzl MyoXP just shading the others as best.

• I'll be interested to see your opinions of its off road use as thats my main reason for wanting a headtorch.

The review I saw had the MyoXP slightly below the Lenser. I get the feeling it may be all very much of a muchness when your up to around the £40-£50 marker.
  • shawkshawk ✭✭✭

I took the Fenix torch out for the first time tonight, waited until it was pretty much dark at about 6.30 and set off on a 20 miler. The first 10 mins or so I was playing around with it to get it to sit nicely and point where I wanted it. Found the sweet spot and from there until the end it was no trouble whatsoever. By the time I was home I was happy to take it off but that could easily be down to me having it done up too tight. I'll play around with that more in time. Overall though the fit was incredibly stable, it never felt too tight, it never felt like it might fall off, it didn't bounce around at all. Having the top band over the head really helps I think.

As for the light it game off, I was very happy with it. I found myself flitting between the 50 and 120 lumen levels. On country lanes in the middle of nowhere (i.e. dark) 50 was fine, on even trails 50 was fine most of the time. When I got onto the Ridgeway it was quite slippy and the ground isn't even so for most of that I used it on 120 and again it was fine. Takes a little bit of getting used to but that will be the same with any torch. I never once felt like I didn't have sufficient light, or that I had to run slower than normal because it was dark. On bits where you didn't have to watch your footing quite so much 50 was usually just about ok too.

Scariest bit was going up a really narrow road with trees either side and over the top, owls calling out constantly and thinking of the Blair Witch Project! Then later on I suddenly noticed two pairs of eyes looking at me, so freaky! Overall though it was a great run, very liberating knowing that just because it's dark it doesn't mean you can't keep running.

I would definitely recommend the Fenix light. I know I've not used the Lenser so can't directly compare, but those were the two I was choosing between. The biggest thing going for the Lenser for me was the focus system, I thought I might miss that on the Fenix but really, you don't need to adjust anything. Having a regulated supply and decent waterproofing imo are much more userful features.

• When its really cold your breath fogs up the light - you have to try and breathe out of the beam !
  • I would agree with Shawk's review.

I did a 10 mile run this morning and found the Fenix to be comfortable and stable. I generally used the second lowest setting which is 50 lumens and used that for the majority of the run. The odd time I went up to 120 lumens but generally found the 50 lumen setting ideal.

I was running beside a dual carriageway, against the flow of traffice, and the Fenix provided all I needed.

It is a great torch.