Barcelona Marathon 2011

A few folks from the Amsterdam thread have mentioned Barcelona as their Spring marathon 2011 so naturally we need a thread to plan which pub to meet up in! ... cough, I mean, a thread to discuss intervals, long runs, high viz, blisters and ITBS.

Enter before 19th December before the entry goes up 10 euros image

Comments

• Good one.  It has been mentioned a couple of times on the Berlin 2011 thread too.  I'm doing Barcelona next year.  Am looking forward to it very much.  Have only done one marathon before - Paris earlier this year.  Barcelona's a great place!

• I did Dublin last week and I'm just sorting out flights and Hotel for trip. Only problem I have is that the flight is due in at 17.20 on the 5th and the Expo closes at 19:30 so I don't have a lot of leeway. Barcelona seems to be about the same size field as Dublin around 12000. Flights from Dublin are only €57 return.

I enjoyed the Dublin Marathon thread so I hope this one starts to grow + if anyone finds a bargain hotel near the start then they can pass it onimage

• Crumbs that's cutting it a bit fine Jim! Bargain flights though...

I've not been to Barcelona before, any excuse for a weekend away really but something else to keep training for image Although in hindsight, hearing the rain hammering against the window, the dark nights closing in and another dodgy winter forecast, maybe it's not one of my better plans!

Anyone else?

• Apparently there are quite a lot of Irish Runners on the 17.20 Ryanair flight but they are talking about having someone to collect for them if the plane is delayed. I just need to find a 50 y.o. body double to be on standby if I have problems who is travelling on the Friday.image

• I did this last year, as a training run, prior to an April marathon. I was there for work and had a 22 miler scheduled, so did this instead.

I cannot say enough good things about  this race. The crowd support is amazing pretty much all the way, the organisation was smooth and the course is a PB course. I am hoping to race it this year, if I can sort work over there again. There were water and energy bottles every 5km, sponges every 5km and various video recordings taken around the course, plus at least 5 live bands and a couple of spin classes alongside the route.

Living in hope, I officially started my 18 week schedule tonightimage

• I've moved over from the Amsterdam thread with Carrot.

Really looking forward to a PB at Barcelona in March and meeting fellow threadites for a beer or three afterwards.

I've booked an apartment near to Las Ramblas; inexpensive, chic and large.

I'm driving to Barcelona as I live near to Toulouse.

Bring it on!!
  • Have not been before to this place but the Irish Running threads keep mentioning this as the after race place to be - http://www.thegeorgepayne.com/  - We're driving down to our place in Le Barcares (Perpignan) on the Monday for 3 days R & R and back to Ireland on the 10th image
  • All the way to Barcelona to drink in a shitty Irish pub. Fuck me.
  • I have done Barcelona for last 3 years and am doing it in 2011.

The organisers are pushing to increase entry levels to 12,000 for next year so it is a well supported event.

This event is extremely well organised; good quality T Mizuno T shirt; start and finish in same place and excellent value for money compared to other European marathons like Berlin.

Transport is also really good with an underground station within 400 yards of the start / finish / expo.

Thoroughly recommend it to anyone considering it. 

• Hey Wirralian! What part are you from? I originate from the posh side....Burton, do you know it? My hubby is from there too. It is a small old world.
  • Greasby / Upton

Burton is more Chester / Cheshire though - isn't it?

• Wirralian - Burton is on the Wirral but you are right it is very near Chester. I haven't been there for YEARS so we could have a 'Wirral Catch up' after the mara' with a well deserved drink.
  • We stay at the Hilton in Barcelona so that would be cheapest option for a drink as we have access to the Executive Lounge and the complimentary bar!!

You say you are looking for a PB - what time are you looking to do?

• Oh nothing spectacular compaired to others on these threads but I would be delighted with sub 4.05. How about you?
  • My running partner Darrin has never beaten 4 hours (we did 4h 48seconds in 2009) so we will be aiming for 3h 55m - so again nothing spectacular - just steady.

Good course to attempt a PB though.

• Wirralian wrote (see)

Greasby / Upton

Burton is more Chester / Cheshire though - isn't it?

Hi Wirralian & EE3, as someone from the otherside of the river, I hope as well as meeting in Barcelona, next October we will be meeting here;

http://www.runliverpool.org.uk/pdfs/Marathonmap.pdf

Officially 09.10.11, or are either of you planning on Chester (which is rather wonderfully the same day)?

• Did this one this year.  Really nice event although they run out of stuff in the latter stages for the slower runners.  Didn' t get a medal, goodie bag or anything to eat or drink at the end which really put a downer on the whole thing. image

They did send a medal through the post a few weeks later though.

• Scooby Dudek - Sorry no, I won't be running in L'pool as I now in Toulouse, besides which, I am running the Berlin mara in September.
  • This will be my 2nd marathon after running Amsterdam last month.  I'm hoping to run under 3:30 this time, but mainly looking forward to visiting Barcelona.  I've only ever visited on a guided coach tour before.  I don't imagine it will be too difficult finding a bar for post run beer. 

• Same here, ran Amsterdam as my first Marathon, taking a few weeks of light training before starting a programme for Barcelona.  Can't wait I loved the last one !  Ran 3:55 in Amsterdam so hope for something around 3:45 now I know what to expect.
  • Stupid question I know, but the website says nothing about toilets on the route and i know I can't last 26 miles!

Can somebody give me some reassurance please  - thankyou! (keeping my fingers and legs crossed)

• Relax.

There are toilets en route but you also pass many hotels, bars etc. that 'will let you go'.

• Thanks Wirralian,

Don't know what i'd have done if i didn't have chance to re-apply my  lipstick and powder my face before the finish!

Really looking forward to it.. Have never been there before and will be staying with a Spanish friend, so it can't be bad can it?

• You will love it. Really well organised event. Nice T Shirt and very easy logistics. Expo is also very well run and efficient.

I have done it last 3 years and we always stay at the Hilton as it is convenient and not in a noisy area - in fact we pass the hotel at 5km. Has an exec lounge as well so we take advantage of the complimentary bar!! Then again if you are staying with a friend everything will be complimentary.

• Hello all, I've put in for this having never run it before, like what I've read from you guys though. Looks good. I arrive on the Friday but clear off on Sunday, there will be enough time for a cheeky few though. Not sure about an Irish bar mind you.

I'm hoping to get under 3 hours but I've hoped that for the last 2 and got no where near. My 10k times and Half M times suggest it should be more than possible but it's not happening. I'll settle for sub 3:10 as it gives me a good for age place in London 2012 (I think) but I really want that sub 3 one day. Please be in Barcelona.......

No pressure.

• No More Nails - I'm doing Barca too. There is a thread, did you know?

I am trying to improve my speed but it is really difficult as I live in the Pyrénées and pretty much everywhere around here is hilly. Some hills are so steep, I swear that it would be faster to walk. Anybody got any good ideas?
  • Sorry guys - the above was meant to have been posted on the Berlin thread....I am such a numpty. No More Nails - did you think I was being facetious? 2 threads are obviously too much for me!
  • Elizabeth - use the hills in place of your speed work! Find a hill with around 200m of incline, maybe somewhere in between a gentle slope and the sort you need a rope to haul yourself up. Jog there, about 2 or 3 miles easy, then just run up and jog back down. Maybe start off with 4 reps and add more as you get fitter image The run back home is usually.... erm.... fun!

I'm currently tucked up in bed with a vomiting bug so sadlt no running for me for the next few days. Didn't feel right at the weekend during a 10 miler, managed my usual recovery run last night, then got up this morning and started being sick. I hate being ill! This week was planned to be my first return to 'proper' training, ie hills, intervals, long runs, instead of just easy running all the time. Ah well.

On a more postive note got flights and accomodation booked - we're also staying in an apartment - so it's really going to happen now!

• Carrot - thanks for the advice. I do make time for hill reps but they are SO boring. Everywhere around here is hilly and I crave a flat run just like Amsterdam!

Wishing you a really speedy recovery; it is no fun being poorly sick.
  • Elizabeth,

Do you not have rugby clubs/Athletic clubs that have a flat pitch/track that you can do laps on - Quite boring but not as bad as a treadmillimage. I have a place in Barcares near Perpignan and that is very flat terrain just like I have here in Ireland. I struggled in Newry las year because I was not accustomed to hills