Flying Fox 10

Enjoyed this race many times, yes it's hilly in places but the scenery is worth it!

You sort of know the winter is coming after this race!

Comments

• When you say hilly, how 'hilly' is it??
  • Coffeepot, this will be our 6 year of running this race, the only hill I can remember is around 6mile, which is not to bad considering it's in Staffordshire.  It's a brilliant race, organised by a great club, with it been the last race of the NSRRA league has a great atmosphere and I look forward to it every year.

Photo's of last years race can be found on Bryan Dales website www.racephotos.org.uk 

• Thanks for the reply - I'd looked at the phots from last year and the results. I was a little worried with the term 'flying' suggesting rather fast times, as the results mainly show. I did the Birmingham Half (my first after 6 months of running) a couple of weeks ago and have kind of wound down a bit (more pschologically)  especially after  taking  a few days off  inbetween runs. My 10 mile time so far is about 1 hr 40 which kind of puts you in the last  5 percent, based on last years results. I wanted to know a little more about the race as I suppose no one wants to come in last! Thanks again!
  • Coffeepot, I've come last a few times in this race and there's a good chance I will again this time. I have cross country the day before and I've been suffering from a cold all week, so don't worry I'll be last.
  • Hi there - this is my first event so am very VERY nervous.  The most I've run is 10 miles with one or two hills in and everybody keeps telling me what a challenge I've picked for my first event.  I feel sick already and it's two days away yet!  I am excited but am worried about all these hills everybody keeps talking about.  Any tips please would be most welcome image
  • Having only ran for  the last 6 months, each time I've entered a race I have been so nervous. However,  I have read so many articles  for advice on how to control pre race nerves.  The bottom line is that number 1 - you remember all the training and hard work you've done beforehand. If you've already ran the distance  you know you have the stamina for it. You will have the same amount of chance of finishing the race as everyone else there. Re the hills, (which was my worry) I've been advised by the B'ham snail that there is hill around about mile 6 and I'm sure there there are a few pulls here and there.  Don't panic - just remember your pace and your breathing. Try and stay focused as much as possible. You will be fine - it;s only natural to be nervous and a small amount of nerves is supposed to be good for you. Another good bit of advice is to 'enjoy' the experience - go for it!!!
  • A fantastic mornings race! weren't we lucky with the weather given how terrible the weather is right now here in the midlands!

I had a cracking good race and got paced around very nicely though I faded right off on the very last hill to the finish! I was going so well but it all came apart = no matter as I was delighted with my 1:24 time I had expected 1:30!

Great goody bag and as always the cafe was great!

• Hi Coffeepot - thanks so much for advice it worked!  I have only been running 3 months and this was the furthest I've ever run (my max is 8 miler I do on a Sunday). 

I completed the race in 1:38 so for a first event with hills I was pleased...actually I was just pleased to finish lol! The weather was amazing and the views were fantastic even the running through the flooded track was good fun!...everybody made me feel very welcome and there was some good banter to be had around the course.

Mike: totally agree a good race and very well organised with a good brew at the end! Glad you were pleased with your time that's a really good one so well done!

Got the bug now and looking at some races over the Christmas period and after to build up to the Stafford Half Marathon!

• Hi Vix and Mike

Your absolutely right, it was a fantastic mornings run and I really enjoyed it, especially running through the unexpected muddy puddles at the 5 mile point, probably splashing it over the runners who were carefully walking around the edges - oops sorry! I was so determined not to slow and managed a time of 143.(my time 141), which I was really pleased with. I need to look at some training now that will help reduce my timing, although if I stay consistant running between 9 and 10 min miles, (I can't imagine running less than this) I feel more confident that running races of half marathons and under, I will not only complete but enjoy. I would love to run a marathon but who knows maybe one day?

I would most certainly look forward to  doing the race again!

Well done to you both they are such fab times. I have booked a place for the Stafford Half but seem to be struggling for races over the christmas period. If you come across any good 'uns let me know - thankyou!

ps thanks to Mara (wherever you may be) who I joined on the 'hill!'

• Don't forget the free race photo's from Bryan Dales web site www.racephotos.org.uk

Thank you Bryan for the great photo's of the race.

• b'ham snail, 

Thanks for the advice about the race earlier on in the week  b'ham snail - a thoroughly enjoyabe race after. A good mix of hills which weren't as bad as I'd expected  -  although there were more than I'd thought, but hey I suppose in a weird kind of way that's what makes the race so enjoyable and why you feel so good when you've finished it.  I was so pleased yesterday I did it and ran it a time I was pleased with. Hope you were ok after, especially doing the cross country the day before!

• Coffeepot, I had a better run than I was expecting, I managed to knock 2 minutes of my best time for this course.