disgusting!

having a great session on the bike saturday afternoon, had done around 25 miles and was caning it ,when out of the corner of my eye i see a blue saxo driving alongside me, with that the chav (you know the type, baseball cap, blaring music) in the passenger seat opens the window and to the hilarity of his mates, launches a gob full of flem at me! all down my leg! oh how i was praying for some traffic lights or something up ahead..................image

just thought i'd share that with you, nice eh?

Comments

• I've said this before on these threads and I'll say it again. We need the death penalty back. I am serious. An action such as that speaks volumes about that persons inability to adjust to society. They should be pricked like weeds and destroyed.

• JayVee - your proposal would have merit if there was evidence the death penalty stopped anti-social behaviour, or indeed any criminal activity. I think even the most repressive societies would balk at executing someone for spitting, however disgusting it is and there is little evidence to suggest societies with capitol punishment have lower crime rates than those without. Indeed, if the death penalty was an effective deterant, there wouldn't be anyone on death row...

• On a lone training ride last year I had a chav mobile driving dangerously close to me, in an attempt for the passenger, who was leaning out of the window, to have a grope.  Pretty scary when you have a kerb one side, a car the other side and you're clipped in.  image  Idiots.
  • AllNewTB wrote (see)

if there was evidence the death penalty stopped anti-social behaviour, or indeed any criminal activity.

They couldn't carry on if they were dead, could they.  image

• I don't know Nam - they caught haunt you
  • AllNewTB wrote (see)
    I don't know Nam - they caught haunt you
    hmmm... dunno... had those chaps wrapped themselves around the nearest tree at the next roundabout, I think I would have still slept pretty well.
  • Urgh scumbag. You should have got his plate and reported him to the police.

As for the death penalty, might be a bit OTT in this case!

It is called a "penalty" though and/or Capitol Punishment. It's not called Death deterrant, it would certainly cut reoffending rates.... 

• Carry your phone with you and when such things happen, take picture of their reg no (or pretend to do so) - that usually scares them
  • And if you do take photo, find out who they are and do an early morning run when nobody is about, run past their house and do a lovely steamy morning turd in front of their door
  • EfficientElli wrote (see)
    Carry your phone with you and when such things happen, take picture of their reg no (or pretend to do so) - that usually scares them

yeah sure... when there's 5 of them and one of you... 

all they need to do is pull over and on top of the original harrassment you find suddenly find yourself "sans phone" and possibly with a smack in the mouth...

• Velcro some pepper spray to the frame of your bike but if you use it, make sure there are escape routes that a car can't follow you down.
  • I agree with Nam on this...disgusting yes...but retaliation could lead to a knife stuck in your stomach...low-lifes like these would have no compunction and feel no guilt. 
  • OMG that's truly disgusting! i've been hit by gob before (mid race) which was bad enough but the chap didn't know i was behind him so i kind of let him off (sort of)..

I definately wouldn't retalite.. i have to keep my anger in check (i commute) in the city with taxi's pedestrians.. i've landed myself in hot water a couple of times.. (particularly with a white van - i don't think he'd heard such language from a "lady") but you never know i hear some horror stories on our work cycling forum about knives being pulled on people!

• I didn't mention deterrent. It never has been a deterrent. That is not the actual point. As stated earlier it goes to show the persons character or total lack thereof. If they think that kind of behaviour is a giggle, they are so far gone that they cannot possibly adapt to society. They need not be here scaring law abiding peaceful people.

• JayVee wrote (see)
     If they think that kind of behaviour is a giggle, they are so far gone that they cannot possibly adapt to society.
    Are we talking about spitting here, or genocide?
  • I agree with the sentiment but death mightn't be the best answer. Bring back the stocks I say!
  • PhilPub

It'd be genocide for a while, but after that all would be peaceful... and there would be less spitting. Pity I can't be the British PM, I'd sort it all out for you.

• This might cheer you up:Saxo Crash Test

It's only a matter of time,at the very least they'll suffer severe injuries!

On a serious note though,these results are frightening. How many parents let their kids drive around in these cos they're cheap runabouts? After seeing this would you let YOUR son or daughter drive one?

• Chieffy - my cousin had a saxo, crashed it, didn't live to tell the tale.  This was in Ireland where they've let the driving test become voluntary, it seems.
  • Sorry to hear that but unfortunately I'm not surprised. This  and this are even worse! (Rover and Fiat drivers:  Do NOT click on these links if you suffer from a nervous disposition!) 

It sends a shiver down my spine every time I see one of these on the road.

• Hey JayVee i never said you did?!

I was referring back to AllNewTB's comment about the deterrant effect on offending rates in countries with death penalty... Keep up! 

• Oooh twitchy twitchy David.

The word deterrent was originally used by AllNewTB. I was simply making my point. No antagonism intended towards anyone.

• David / JayVee- punishment of criminal activity has five purposes, one of which is deterrence. They are pretty much all given equal weight (with perhaps 3 less so) when punishment is set by a court.

Incapacitation: A criminal in prison cannot commit crimes while imprisoned.

2. Deterrence: The threat of punishment deters people from engaging in illegal acts.

3. Restitution: A crimonal is required to take some action to at least partially return the victim to the the state they were before the crime.

4. Retribution: The criminal harmed society; therefore society (or the direct victims) is entitled to inflict harm in return.

5. Rehabilitation: The punishment changes the crimonal in order to make him a better citizen afterwards.

• JayVee wrote (see)
    The word deterrent was originally used by AllNewTB. I was simply making my point. No antagonism intended towards anyone.

Apart from this bit...

JayVee wrote (see)

Oooh twitchy twitchy David.

If you can't play nicely we'll have to exterminate youimage

Those cars look mighty messy, cheiffy. At what speed is that?

• Where's that list from?  Are you saying that the court believes "an eye for an eye" (number 4) is as important a principle as the others?
  • AllNew point well made. Your 5 points are from where? Are you citing a source? I can't say I'm an expert on UK law.

Blister: I deserve to be exterminated when I start spitting at you or in your beer. If I spit in your beer then maybe I should be exterminated in a slow fashion with the help of a hot iron. Beer is holy water! 

• PP  - I can't remember the exact source, but it's something we covered during the History of Crime and Punishment module of my degree, nearly 20 years ago. These are theoretical factors a judge would consider when passing sentence.  They'll also consider other more practical aspects, such as mitigating factors, whether they're a habitual criminal, etc

And yes, a court would look at the injury inflicted on society and use that as one of the determining factors when setting the sentence.  For instance, someone found guilty of insider dealing is only likely to get 18 months to 2 years imprisonment, because although they've broken laws, their activity hasn't harmed society as significantly as say rape or a serious assault.  Then of course, we get into the long debate about what is society and how can it be harmed, but that's for another day.

• Some interesting posts.

I will take my stand point from Jack Charlton. There was incident in a Holand v Germany game years ago when a player did the biggest gob ever and hit his opposite number (I think it may have been Rudi Voller, not too sure). When asked what he would have done in that situation Big Jack said 'Son if he had done that to me I would have chinned him'.

Basically if some gobbed on me I would chin them (and I am not a violent person).