Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• RWMS Glad you are back!!image

All this talk about mud and stuff got me thinking............going to invest in some off road shoes really did enjoy that downhill dash even though my legs where hammered by the end off it!image

• "Heheh, it's all going off-road and ultra" image

Its Inov8 all the way for me, Roclite 315 a great jack of all trades trail shoe (will take you as far as you want to go), 275 for short races and a bit more grip, and the rest, at last count I have 5 active pairs of off-road shoes, shoe whore that I am image

• Oh DE, you trainer tart - thought I was bad but only have two active off road pairs on the go! 315s for me too and an old pair of adidas but I only do short races in them.
    TR38 - nice to be back, hectic time of the year for me but should chill some now. ;0
  • Lol... DE think I may show that post to Mr DM, I have two pairs of road and two pairs of off road on the go and I'm considered extravagant!

Think I may be talked into running the Marlborough Downs Challenge 33 after London next year...and Mr DM has said I can come back to Snod if I want to.....hmmmmmmm.....can't believe I'm being tempted again!

• DM ....i think it would be fairly easy for me to talk myself into the marlborough 33 ....i dont even seem to need any helpimage  and as for Snod ......you know you want to image  i mean who wouldnt image
  • Hi everyone-good banter as ever. Had my beautiful caravan nicked yesterday from a very secure compound near York..well, obviously not that secure and am gutted..and..not insured-so goodbye 8 thousand quidimage. I'm so hacked off it is not real a) cos some low life nicked it but b) why did I not insure the buggar???

Oh well-onwards and upwards as they say.

Trex-entered Windermere marathon in the end, but that hacked me off too as one has to raise £200 quid sponsor stuff as compulsory thing to do with entry. But hey, it looks pretty

Off now to have a large glass of something very strongimage

• Well ever since i heard this race existed i wanted to do it, 2010 was too soon, so next year i'm there.

What's the 21 mile cut-off time? I know there's plenty of time to train but i'm a plodder!!

• On, Brer - that's rubbish image

Hope you are enjoying that drink image
  • Anyone know a nice convenient place to stay for this race??

B Rabbit, make it a triple of something very strong!! gutted for you!! bloody scallies image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Ty Isaf campsite - a snip at £4 a night.

brer - that's lousy.  You went up there to find it gone? Does the compound owner have any liability?  Anyway, what's your charity?  I'll sponsor you if you do 3:50 or less!

Hi, David L.  Not sure how seriously they enforce the cut-off  - although I know Chrissi on the 2010 thread was taken off the course.  Best check with RO nearer the time.  Have a look at the results to see the range of finish times.

jason - now you're talking!  The cover of "The Welsh Three Thousand Foot Challenges" by Roy Clayton and Ronald Turnbull has a picture of Joss Naylor running across Crib Goch.  Mind you he was, and still is, somewhat exceptional.  Technology---savvy folks of the likes of CD or steve-z could probably post the pic were they still around.

• hi folks- tempted by this after driving along Llanberis pass the week before. are there entry restrictions? elsewhere people were talking about A or M grade races - i did the 17 mile version of the osmotherley phoenix last yr- 1000ft i think- but don't think this is on the fell runners website. liked the thought of this as get to do hills without getting lost. - i have the sense of direction worse than a brick!

on the other hand - 26 miles, maybe i'm better off dreaming. ...

• Emma, I think you are talking about fell race classes there. Were you on the FRA website by any chance?

Class A has the greatest ascent per mile (as opposed to class B and class C in that order) and class M I think is usually MM denoting 'mountain marathon'.

Regarding SNOD, it is an awesome race and it sounds like you have a good base fitness level already and there are still 353 days of training left until the next oneimage. This year was my first time and I loved every single minute of it so I'd say go for itimageimage

• thanks for that! was on FRA website but only after seeing ques on general forum on RW here about it - hadn't noticed entry criteria on SNOD website but wondered if were on entry form i hadn't seen.

i'll start dreaming again... Phoenix 17 miles i'd expected to be torture but was great so I may be glutton for more punishmentimageimage

• SNODs the one to do thenimage
  • Dina Mo wrote (see)

Lol... DE think I may show that post to Mr DM, I have two pairs of road and two pairs of off road on the go and I'm considered extravagant!

Think I may be talked into running the Marlborough Downs Challenge 33 after London next year...and Mr DM has said I can come back to Snod if I want to.....hmmmmmmm.....can't believe I'm being tempted again!

Note of caution when using my argument for more shoes (I also have 3 active pair of road shoes though two nearly end of life) - I've been single up to of late so have only had to justify such extravagance/insanity to myself, not an OH. So be careful image, don't wanna cause any strife. Although the other day it was noted that my house is littered with trainers and laughed off.

brer rabbit wrote (see)

Hi everyone-good banter as ever. Had my beautiful caravan nicked yesterday from a very secure compound near York..well, obviously not that secure and am gutted..and..not insured-so goodbye 8 thousand quidimage. I'm so hacked off it is not real a) cos some low life nicked it but b) why did I not insure the buggar???

Off now to have a large glass of something very strongimage

The buggers image, so sorry to hear of that. is there any way/chance the police can track it down? Hope the something strong helps.

emma whaley wrote (see)

thanks for that! was on FRA website but only after seeing ques on general forum on RW here about it - hadn't noticed entry criteria on SNOD website but wondered if were on entry form i hadn't seen.

i'll start dreaming again... Phoenix 17 miles i'd expected to be torture but was great so I may be glutton for more punishmentimageimage

Hi Emma, if you found Phoenix ok then this should be no worries, afterall Phoenix is off-road and is quite regular in the descents/ascents whereas SNOD only has the two biggees (one of which is early enough to not be noticed). You considering the 26 or 33 next year? Phoenix is an annual pilgrammage for me now.

• DE -really enjoyed 17, friend who did 26 is trying to persuade me to up to 26 and she'll do 33! Felt last yr that 17 was enough - was furthest i'd been; more training needed ..i'm not that fast- 4h 30 for the 17, so i'd miss my kids in the Games races if i did the 26...  then i saw this SNOD thing and .. don't know nowimage. i'm hoping i'll be quicker on-road, but also harder on joints.  i live in North York Moors so mostly go off-road.

• Brer- so sorry to hear thatimageimage

NQ- with all this talk of ultras, hadn't you better get past the 4m training for this month markimageimageimageimage

• Hi all

Brer sorry about caravanimage 

Been looking at theses off road trainers (think some of you guys need to address your footwear addiction by the way!!!) and like the look and price of the inov8 range........whats a good long distance off road kind of race that wont rely to much on me being able to navigate myself round?.....have been known to get lost on some of my regular running places!!!

• TR38 - there's Race the Train in August, and the Sandstone Trail race early October (so a good 'pipe opener' for SNOD 2011 image)

Plus, if you fancy something a bit steeper, there are plenty of fell races near you - have a look at the Upcoming Races section on http://www.wfra.org.uk/ image.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

TR38 - do you mean marathons at all?  EnduranceLife coastal ones are so well way-marked it's impossible to get lost.  They even have signs on poles in the middle of paths you are not supposed to take.  Can also recommend Offa's 'Orror, a 20K in Chepstow area.  And, of course, LDWA Challenge events.  With pages and pages of route description there is little chance of getting lost, although if you do you're stuck unless you've plotted the route on a map as well (something I'd recommend).

My score is currently offroad 4 (and still haven't found the "right" shoe), road 1.

• Tattooed Runner38 wrote (see)

Been looking at theses off road trainers (think some of you guys need to address your footwear addiction by the way!!!) and like the look and price of the inov8 range........whats a good long distance off road kind of race that wont rely to much on me being able to navigate myself round?.....have been known to get lost on some of my regular running places!!!

As per t-rex, check out LDWA challenges for a massive variety of 20+ milers, searchable website, there is something most weekends with a bit of travel and you'll be surprised how many local ones there are. Usually nothing too challenging (depends on area) but interesting and a good route description.....

... not to mention food/drinks on the way round and all for a bargain price (especially conmpared to the some of the larger fielded running events.

And once you've had a fill of these check out the vasque ultra running series image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    ... where High Peak 40 is considered "medium"!
  • Thanks T-Rex... Checked the 2010 results and seems like you can be 'slow' and still get round.

Will be doing Shakespeare and Snowdonia next year, can't wait image

• T Rex wrote (see)
    ... where High Peak 40 is considered "medium"!

Poop! That was a loooooong one that I liked the look of - how can THAT be a medium imageimage

David Lewis 77 wrote (see)

Will be doing Shakespeare and Snowdonia next year, can't wait image

Looking at Shakespeare too - are you lot following me imageimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Get your entries in, then - it fills up quickly.

The trail series considers up to 32 miles "short".  <a title="www.runfurther.com" target="_blank">www.runfurther.com</a>

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Oh dear - not very good at posting links ...
  • Morning All

I was rained off work this morning so i took the dogs for a off road run, It was wild and wild out there but good fun. I can certainly see the attraction of this off road lark, i usually stick to road/paths but i can hear  the dark side calling.One Question for you seasoned offroaders out there is do you wear a gore-tex type trainer or do you just put up with getting wet feet all the time? any advice on off road trainers would be great.

• t-rex - This year the 34m Long Tour of Bradwell is a short in the http://www.runfurther.com/ series (before I referred to it as Vasque series, but I believe they sponsor it no more). I think I've heard from some the HP40 is actually faster than the LTOB which is a tough, 'short' ultra.

RR - Water permeable for me. I've been told that in messy conditions water, mud, etc, will get in your shoes over the top even if goretex. And then your stuck with it I believe (unless there is some clever one way technology I know not of?). Most trail shoes, will let stuff in and out, so your feet will dry fairly quickly on solid trails as water is pumper out or dried out by the heat of your feet. On a hot day I will occasional run through a puddle if there is one available to give the feet a cooldown.

And as per my earlier list I'm an Inov8 man/fan.

Threadjacking over image

• Waterproof / non-waterproof is all down to personal preference methinks. I'm with DE on the non-waterproof side of the fence. Unless you are wearing some sort of running 'boots' (which Inov-8 also do image ) then the wet stuff will be going down the side of your trainer whether you like it or not. If your shoe will then let the water out again then they will dry as already stated.

The other advantage over the waterproof ones is that you won't be worried about whether the puddles / streams are too deep and end up over the side of your shoe and end up tippy-toeing round them image

The only other possible way of ensuring dry feet are waterproof socks but this may come with its own set of sweaty problems and end up with wet feet that way lol I think sealskin ones might be, anybody out there know either way?

• I image my sealskins

But I certainly wouldn't run through rivers in them. I mainly use them when cycling to and from work and in very cold and rainy road-running weather.