Gloucester Marathon

Comments

• it happens to us all

2010 has been our worst year yet

• My marathons seem to have gone down hill this year image. Lets hope this race is a kick start to a better year.
  • Must admit its the best year I have ever had, been running 10-12 years and got PBs in every race this year!!life begins at 40!!??
  • Muzza

good luck well done

my 40 was 12 years ago image

• Woody2run - if i remember rightly (we met on the post race bus) you were experimenting with a new gel strategy at this race last year? Did you follow it up at all throughout the rest of the year? Also, did you carry on with one marathon a month?
  • Well done Muzza you must be on a roll and feeling a well deserved high   image

That's right 1e, but not so much a strategy, a friend asked if I thought gels made a difference so I ran it without gels. I was OK until mile 16 when it all went pear shaped just had nothing left in my legs, had to walk for the first time in a marathon. Needless to say I've not run one without since, to be fair I think on the day if I hadn't ran so fast from the start I might not have crashed so bad. I've no doubt you can run a marathon without gels but IMO with gels you can push yourself that little bit further and you recover faster after.

I've not run one every month but an average of one a month, I ran 3 in May because of Ironman training June and July  and counted the marathon at the end of Ironman as my August marathon. My plan is to continue one a month until march which will be 2 years and start training proper for the Ironman.

Hope your training is going well and to see you again in Jan

• WOODY, which Ironman you doing this year? Uk? or the new wales one?? Looked in to it myself but think ill try another in 2012, may do The outlaw rather than IRONMAN expense!!

I run about 1 marathon a month on average at the mo, did 2 last month and 2 this month tho, cornish will be 12 this year. entered gloucester, dutchy, Taunton or will be, London, shakespeare, stockholm and Dartmoor discovery  oh and north devon, for next so far, there getting pricey now tho. just wanna get to 100 now, 45 to go so over half way ha haimage yay!!

• image Woody go for outlaw, gets the image
  • yeah looks good to me to!  good shout cake image
  • Did it this year and very good and well organised race. Not had experiance yet with the IM's stuff but the price is a big factor your paying for the logo a fair bit.
  • Cake I know what your saying regarding the price but IMUK being in my home town Bolton it's a no brain-er. The extra cost of IM is off set against travel and accommodation of any other event and the amount of support, not just from family and friends but the general public seeing a competitor in local club running vest was incredibly uplifting. So I've already signed up for Bolton 2011.

The new one in Tenby looks good tbh beautiful setting. I wouldn't mind doing a second one in Europe next year but not looked into that as yet.

Muzza well done on 55 marathons.  I started one a month with shorter races in between just to maintain fitness after Blackpool 2009 I think I've done 27 in total, I don't do much training as such. I did think of aiming for the century but after Ironman this year going so well, I've decided to concentrate on that, I could do quite well in my age cat if I get the training in and things go right on the day.

• Nice 1 woody!! good luck mate!! having it on ya doorstep it would be so rude not to do it! I did longest day and sherbourne. Its all about the bike on Ironman, I aint very good on the bike always lost so much time on it but I am 45lbs lighter sinse the last time i got on it so may make a difference??its been a few years sinse my last Im so think next year I plan to do a few sprints and maybe some middle distance.

Anyway back to Gloucester, what we hoping for? Hopefully gain noooooo weight over xmas and go for a 2.55-3 hrs weather permitting, nice fresh cold day no wind! thankyou very much! image not asking for to much am i??

• Hi folks, decided to def off helsby four villages and do this one instead, well why settle for half when you can have the lot image
  • Hi CT

Muzza 45 lbs should make a vast difference. the bike was my weakest discipline but only lost a few places, on the run with my running background I managed to pass 200 +  you need to go for it.

I'd be happy with a sub 3:30:00 for this after last year but who knows.

• Woody,

Yeah I think ill bang a few marathons in again this next and train on bike, maybe do a couple half Ironman distance stuff to get the eye back in, definatly goona do it in 2012. 3.30 will be good mate, it takes a long time to recover fully from Ironman, its a different ball game of pain. awsome acheivement tho.

Carrot top, welcome aboard! image

• hi new to this thread whats this mara like is it flat and a pb course and is it popular run what sort of entrys does it get thx
  • Hi everyone,

This will be my second marathon, looking forward to it and hopefully it will keep me motivated over Christmas image

• hi stret09 might be a bit dif 2 snod also thinking of doing this but t-rex saying its3 laps not sure if i fancy that bit atb
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Well, you can try four laps and upgrade to the 50K!
  • Hi Powell, I was a bit like that because of the laps, but there really isn't a  huge choice that time of year, T-Rex and a few others have said it's a good course so I'm giving it ago.  There are fair few from Snowdonia doing it I gather, might actually get to meet a few of you this time around image
  • powell1 wrote (see)
    hi stret09 might be a bit dif 2 snod also thinking of doing this but t-rex saying its3 laps not sure if i fancy that bit atb
    I used to be in the same camp as you on the laps thing but I've done a few marathons with laps now and would say I find them easier to pace. Once you've completed one lap you know exactly what's to come, which allows you to judge your pace better. I also used to think knowing what you to come would have a negative affect but it really is the opposite.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You'll find three laps are OK - each is about 7 miles long. It's when there are multiple very short laps when it gets to you.  You're being lapped or lapping people so often you have no idea who your competitors are.  And then there's track ultras which must be the ultimate in boredom! (Not done one so I wouldn't know.)

Better get the training started ...

• Hi all,

fellow snoders, i'm getting a real sense of deja vu already and i haven't run a lap yet image. hmm i'm enjoying my recovery far too much, a few more weeks before I start training hard again, So the chrimbo chocolates might be on hold this yearimageimageimage OMDB image

• Hi all

I live close to the course and run it quite often. It is known locally as the "elmore loop" and is ruoghly a seven mile loop on a country lane. It is a bit undulating but the inclines are not very steep. It is ideal for supporters to catch a glimpse of you as you go by. I am running the 50k  so  hopefully see some of you there

• Thx for info Wayne, is the course open to the eliments or well protected with high hedges etc is its gailforce winds??
  • T Rex,

Track Marathons and Ultras are brilliant, you should try one at least once. You never know you might even enjoy it!

Hope to be on the finish line to give out mementos to you all.

• Hi Muzza

The course is quite sheltered . It follows a quiet country lane with plenty of farm land on both sides of the road, so there are plenty of hedges around six foot high.  You pass through a couple of very small villages, but apart from that it is very rural. The river Severn runs close by so it isn't much above sea level. It can be a few degrees colder here than in the town and you do sometimes get a cold mist coming off the river, but if it is windy, then the wind will be at your back at one point and in your face at another because you will be running a complete circle . 

Hope this was helpfull. See you on the start line

• Hi Wayne thanks a lot mate, sure it will be fine, just dont like the wind, heres hoping for a cold still sunny day!! image

See U there!!!!

• thanks for the info wayne,

Hmmm, a track mara sounds a fun idea, my only concern would be running all those curves.   I find track work to be a bit iffy for injury's, and need to do a good warm up/cool down in opposite direction to counter act the curves. but not sure i could do 105 after completing a mara image

Is this the right route?

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/quedgeley/139126177505327457

p.s. agree with you about the wind muzza, it the one thing that really does my head in.