Talkback: Win the ultimate spring marathon experience

It's the time of year you've all been waiting for - we’re on the hunt for six super-keen runnersworld.co.uk members to train up and treat to an elite support package.

Whether you’ve set your sights on breaking three hours or want to complete the distance for the first time, we’ll work with you to help you achieve your marathon goal. It's simply an incredible prize - an unmissable chance to discover your true running potential with the support of our elite team. You'll have one-to-one advice from top coaches Bud Baldaro and Steve Smythe, the combined expertise of the ASICS PRO Team and of course the input of runnersworld.co.uk forumites. Not only that, but you'll also be kitted out with head-to-toe ASICS gear, race entry, travel and post-race hospitality.

This year for the first time we've teamed up with ASICS to take our Super Six to la belle France, to run the Paris Marathon on April 10 2011.

You don’t even need a place in the race; we can take care of this for you (but we also want to hear from those who’ve already got a place, either through the ballot, their club or a charity).

We’ve changed the selection process slightly this year - you’ll need to fill in our application form (before midday, Friday November 19) and we’ll then narrow down the applications to a longlist who will be invited to a selection day. The lucky applicants who make it through the selection day will form a shortlist of between 18 and 24 runners. The final stage? We’ll be inviting you, the runnersworld.co.uk members, to vote for the final line-up.

Good luck everyone!

Alice RW

Comments

• ASICS Super Six 2011 launch day is finally here! If you have any questions about the prize, application or selection process please just pop them on this thread and we'll do our best to get back to you swiftly!

Once again, good luck - we look forward to reading your applications!

Alice RW

• would love to Alice but nobody's intervention  short of God's would get me fit enough for  doing itimage
  • It appears RW have negated the only good thing about this comp...entry to VLM!

Paris is first come first served entry isnt it, so why bother entering this to get a place??

I hope you're paying accomodation and travel (and what happens if you get another ash cloud and particpants cant get there?)...

Very weird choice from a marketing perspective image

Perhaps you think this will deflect criticism about the format of the competition elsewhere - it wont.

• apart from the different venue..........can you tell me the changes to last year............as a lot of feedback was given last year on a specific thread and I am interested into how the feedback was used to improve the training schedules

and also is accomodation and transport provided..........

thanks

• The link at the top has more details on what is provided.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/win-the-ultimate-spring-marathon-experience/5857.html

Looks like one of the improvements Seren is that the SS is not sponsored by Lucozade now image  If however improvements have been made to the training/schedule, this could be a great opportunity. 

• The link that Little Ninja posts above makes the structure of the competition clearer.

Actually, I don't think having Paris as the marathon in question is a bad idea at all, it deters those who just enter the competition to gain entry to VLM.

I can see some positive changes already, revised schedules, the training starting pre Christmas, the encouragement of those familiar with the forums to apply (if you read between the lines) although I have only skim read to content so far.

Lets give it a chance shall we before we knock it?image

• Sue C wrote (see)

The link that Little Ninja posts above makes the structure of the competition clearer.

Actually, I don't think having Paris as the marathon in question is a bad idea at all, it deters those who just enter the competition to gain entry to VLM.

I can see some positive changes already, revised schedules, the training starting pre Christmas, the encouragement of those familiar with the forums to apply (if you read between the lines) although I have only skim read to content so far.

Lets give it a chance shall we before we knock it?image

But thats no fun imageimage

Its more the unrealistic goal setting that I disagree with (that plus public pressure to perform at a distance which we all know is a very tough task master)!
  • But reading the structure, they have changed things. For example, inviting the shortlist to the boot camp will help to ensure the people are chosen are better matched to the schedules.

And people doing VLM can still follow the SS threads. The programs will just be a few weeks ahead.

That said, it'd still be good to hear how the programs have changed before I vote for people I like image
  • Well I think it looks fab.  image.  Just a shame I'll be at Brighton that day.  Maybe 2012 then...
  • Does this mean an end to the endless canvassing on every thread going by people i've never heard off?
  • I'd be very surprised if some of the short-listed people weren't very new but do we really need to have this discussion every year? We can still vote for the people we wish to. Last year I didn't just vote for forumites I knew on here and I'll do the same this year.
  • I like the idea of Paris over London and for the first time ever I'm actually tempted with this. 

Alice - is the accommodation and travel to Paris just for one though?  If I were to do this and train hard for it I'd like my OH to go too, especially as he would have to support me through the hours of training.

• This looks like a really great opportunity assuming the coaches won't be tied into an off the shelf schedule, a more realistic marathon day goal setting process is used and a more thorough vetting of the candidates is put in place (which looks like happening).

Someone is going to be very fortunate to be coached by Bud Baldaro.

If this is done properly this has the potential to be excellent, it really does.

• kittenkat wrote (see)

You'll already be a registered member of runnersworld.co.uk and you'll feel at home chatting on our forums,

This is a good change imho.

kittenkat wrote (see)
    However, I feel you might get an influx of people joining today, which is cheating. image
    You have to register to post as did everyone last year, cant see how this changes anything?

Given the choice I would do Paris over London for the simple reason I have done London,  a refreshing change from the norm
  • Have they airbrushed all the VLM bits off the jackets in the photo??
  • Well spotted Flat Footed! image

Before   and After

I think I'm entering this anyway.  But 100 words isn't very much. image

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)

But 100 words isn't very much. image

Isn't that the point Soup? image

Can't say I blame RW for not wanting  to read loads of really long entries either. Good luck!
  • Lol so they did !!   

Can of red spray paint at the ready!
  • Like the sound of this. image
  • Moraghan wrote (see)

This looks like a really great opportunity assuming the coaches won't be tied into an off the shelf schedule, a more realistic marathon day goal setting process is used and a more thorough vetting of the candidates is put in place (which looks like happening).

Someone is going to be very fortunate to be coached by Bud Baldaro.

If this is done properly this has the potential to be excellent, it really does.

I dare you to enter imageimage
  • Interesting!  I like the idea of the boot camp to assess fitness, discuss injury history and your target time.

I'd consider entering but I'm sure it would end up being an injury curse (I'm a bit fragile at the moment as it is), especially if my only choice of lightweight support shoe for the race was the DS Trainer.  image

• "Personalised dietary, physio and sports psychology support from the ASICS PRO Team throughout your training"
    It looks to me like things have been learnt from previous years and if the sports psychology bit is serious, then I reckon the six chosen will be very well looked after.
    I wish all the applicants well and hope they have a fantastic time. It sounds really good and looks like the people who are applying will be serious about doing "a" marathon rather than "the" marathon.
    I had a whale of a time on the SSX 2010 project and it was just a shame I managed to acheive the target 5 weeks later than planned!