59th Brampton to Carlisle 10

Less than a month to go before this great race and no-one has started a thread yet.  Well, we'll soon sort that.

For those who don't know, this is the oldest 10 mile race in the UK, and it's a cracker.  Perfect timing if you've been running all year and just want one last race before Christmas.  Well organised; excellent flat route; and suitable for everyone.  You'll need to get well under the hour if want to win, but you'll still be welcomed home if it takes you two or more.

Go on............................you know you want toimage

Comments

• Sent my entry in on Monday - looking forward to it image

• Millster... Just completed the RAF Spadeadam Half Marathon which is just up the road from Brampton and it was far from flat!!  Positively mountainous in fact but I'll take your word for it.  Beautiful part of the country and I'm really looking forward running the event.
  • I dont think the course is particularly flat, I'd describe it more as rolling since you're constantly only able to see about half a mile in front to the next peak.

It is, however, a fast course as evidenced by Steve Cram's 46:xx time....you dont run those sort of times on tough courses.

It was even faster last year when it became the Brampton To Carlisle 9.3 due to the flooding.

• I suppose 'flatness' is all relative really.  Having just run the now 'hilly' Cumbrian Run; having previously run the Great Langdale marathon and being a local, I would still say that the Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler is flatimage, but I don't intend to fall out with anyone over a few hillsimage.

I didn't realise that there was a problem with precipitation last year, although I remember it was a wet weekend.  I wish I'd entered now - good chance for a pbimage.

• Course it's flat, just a small pull up getting out of Brampton onto the main road, and a bit at Rule Holme before the turn left to Newby (am assuming it won't be flooded again), oh, and maybe a little bit pull up going over the M6 after Linstock Roundabout. Wouldn't really call them hills though??
  • ........................................don't forget that last one up Brampton Road just before the finishimage.
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    toying with the idea mr Millster, depends if little ECN can be entertained and the OH agrees image i was supposed to be doing the suicide 6 in the midlands, but the outlaws are away so a free weekend.
  • You know you'll enjoy it.

Presumably you've done it before...........................and probably under an hour, I'd guessimage

• E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

no... never done it before which is a bit strange concidering it is a 'local' race. i would like to go under 1 hour but me finks that is asking a little too much for my old poor legs nowadays image

i had a nice run along the cycleway from carlisle to dalston then around Raughtonhead last week, fancy getting out for a run sometimes?

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

I'm doing this one and really looking forward to it as I've heard it's a fast course and I like doing 'new' races.

• Not had a number through yet - is there an entry list anywhere?  FWIW I think gently rolling courses can produce faster times than flat ones.  It also depends on the course measurement - whether the 0.1% added on to meet UKA rules took it from slightly short to correct, or slightly long to slightly longer.
  • Doing it for the first time, but will be last in no doubt, so cheer me in!! Legs still tired from Kielder but looking forward to it.
  • Am I right in thinking there is no online entry for this one?  The home page says you can enter at race.results.co.uk but that just brings up a pdf copy of the paper entry form, and nothing else.

Might have to just enter on the day.

• Ian - I cannot remember how I did it, but I was able to enter online.  The confirmation emails that I got were from race-results.co.uk, so you will probably just need to dig deeper in their website, unless they've closed the online facility because there is only a week to go.

Entry on the day has never been a problem in the past so it should be okay this time I assume.

• Have  a good run Millster,cant make it this year (first i ve missed for ages) away for weekend

Anybody who hasnt ran this , give it a go PBs very achievable!

• Millster - that must be it... a few of the other races on that page seem to have "enter online" as an option, but not this one, so maybe they have just taken it down.

I really should start entering these events when I first hear about them, rather than putting them off.

How long before the start would you say to arrive, to get a place?

• Ian - I really don't think that there will be a problem in terms of the race being full.  It's popular, but very well organised so I would suggest that you give yourself around one hour before the start to get sorted.  There may be a queue to enter, and probably a second queue for those of us who have entered online to collect numbers, but many others will probably be sorted in advance.  If you're using one of the official buses to get there then you should be there by 11.30 unless you get on the last one.  If you're not using the buses then make sure you get a lift to the start.  I have seen the odd runner in previous years parking their car at the start area and asking about transport back afterwards, which is not a good move as there isn't any image.  That's the best that I can do in terms of general information, but you may be able to contact the organiser direct if you're still unsure.

If you've never done this before, then you'll find that it's a very friendly 'low-key' event, although the standard at the front of the field is very good........................apparentlyimage

• Bah will have to EOD it seems, although i really shouldn't be entertaining any thought of running this being i've spent the last 3-4 weeks not really running as i have a foot problem. Just to top things off i currently have a cold/man flu to make it that much harder.

Still x-ray appointment on thursday and unless they tell me then and there its broken i'll no doubt be there.

• Paul - Thanksimage  I'll be thinking about you every step of the way..............................okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift image
  • Well, it sounds good.  Thanks Millster.  Not sure I'll be too worried about the standard at the front of the field!  Looking forward to it.
  • Nearly time to go image

Good luck everyoneimage

• Anyone know what time the horse finished?image

I guess that the owner must be a farmer given her agricultural language.  I do have some sympathy as I'm sure the animal was also in danger but what exactly did she expect us to do? 

Anyway, that aside, how good was today?  For me this has always been one of my favourite races and today was no exception.  Well done to everyone who ran, and a special thank you to everyone who helped put this together.  First class, as usual image.

• I second thatimageWhat a great day and a PB. Does anyone know where the results can be found online ??

Whats the crack with the horse !!??image

• One20Four - I posted this on another thread.  Presumably you must have been several minutes ahead of me (I finished in 1.13).  I'm guessing that your name maybe reflects a particularly satisfying half marathon timeimage

Millster wrote (see)

Now, I've done a few races in my time and met most of the usual 'obstacles' - traffic, congestion caused by too many runners on narrow roads etc, but today I was confronted by a runaway horse.  The beast seemed pretty big and was first seen trotting down the middle of quite a busy road flanked by a string of several hundred runners on the left and one or two motorists heading in the other direction.

The 'owner' of the horse appeared from a side road just infront of me and started shouting at the several hundred runners to turn back.  'Stop being so f***ing selfish' was her cry.  'Somebody do something!'  So my question is 'what on earth shoud we all have done'?  Perhaps we were being selfish in not stopping, but to be honest the horse would probably have carried on anyway since the front runners were probably about 15 minutes ahead of us by then.  I, for one, would not want to go anywhere near a horse, let alone one that had most likely been spooked.

So what happened next?  Well about a quarter of a mile further on, one hardy soul had abandoned all hope of a PB and stopped to calm the animal by the side of the road.  Many of us ran past, perhaps a little slowly, before the horse then decided to start racing again at which point it started making it's way towards the front.  A little later it was somehow coralled into the grounds of a large house at which point another runner managed to shut the gates much to the annoyance of the householder.  'Oi you, you cannot leave your horse here'.......  'Sorry mate, it's not my horse, see ya later!'  

Anyway, back to my original question - 'What would you have done, and what should we have done? 

Not sure if you're local or know the route particularly well, but this all started to happen on the climb past Ruleholme and then continued on the road along to Newby East.  Still not sure whether it was scary, funny, or just curiousimage.

I'll let you know if I track down the results. 

• Hiya, Yeah am local and the 01:24:00 was many many years ago. You must have been ahead of me going up Ruleholme bank if you did 1:13 cos I finished 3 minutes after you. I found the results on www.race-results.co.uk  I reckon you finished 6 places ahead of me in our category if I'm guessing the name right !

Am a bit stiff today but the day was worth it

• I think you've sussed me!

You must have just missed the horse incident...........never mind you might be lucky next yearimage.

How long ago was the 1.24?  The closest I ever got to a sub 1.30 was about 20 years ago when I missed it by 9 seconds running the old Cumbrian Run route from the airport.  Most of my half times have been in the 1.35 to 1.40 range, although I was quite pleased with this year's 1.39 being 2 minutes quicker than last year.image.  Don't think I'm destined to get quicker as I get older.

• Hiya Millster,

I did the first 3 Cumbrian Runs then stopped. 1:26 x 2 then a 1:24. I was fairly fit at the time due to playing a lot of squash and we only did about five weeks training at the end of the squash season (the Cumbrian run was in April in the old days). I only started running again about 2 years ago. Have done a few 10k's (44:03 at Beaverbrook in Blackpool this year) and a couple of halfs (01:45:16 at this years Cumbrian Run). I am really enjoying it and never having done a full marathon have entered Edinburgh for next Mayimage. I want to break 4 hours for that then break 01:45 for a half but get as close to 01:40 as I can.

Did you do the Bill Barker West Cumbria 10. The hill at Camerton was awfulimage but I reckon I'll do it again next year.....it's good to be in something from the start

• I missed the Bill Barker run - I think we had some family event on that day, but maybe next time.  I did another one, early August I think it was, the Netherall 10K.  It's held on a Wednesday evening, oddly enough at Netherall, and it's a cracker.  Good course, nice friendly field, and a free buffet at the end.  I followed that with the Carlisle 10K which is also very good but different to Netherall, and then the Cumbrian Run.  Quite a pleasing 1.39 this time.  Not sure I'll ever get much below that in the future although I have been in the past (nowhere near your 1.24 mind you!)

Still thinking about Edinburgh myself.  Having already run four marathons but never done a city event I really should before it's too late.  I might just see you there, if I don't bump into you on a training run before then.

• Ive taken 1000s of great race photographs lately.See my website at athletesinaction.co.uk

Unfortunately due to running in this event myself I took none of it.

I did lend my camera (not my expensive one obviously) to a mate who took, well, shall we say some photos. Ill leave it to other s to decide if they are any good but I decided to give them away for free!

See them here and download the full size files if you wish