Which Garmin?

Hi

Ive been toying with the idea of a Garmin for a while but due to an expensive year I have not been able to afford one.  I was going to get one of those Nike plus things but decided to wait and get a Garmin.  Anyway the conversation of what I want for christmas came up (early I know) and Ive said a Garmin.  Ive tried doing some research but there are a few products around.

Which one can people reccommend bearing in mind Im not that great at using technology...

Thanks

KB

Comments

• Hi Kirstie,

I bought a Garmin 205 in July this year after using the Nike + for a few years and found a huge difference in results. The 205 is basically the same as the 305 only without the HRM. It is really easy to use on the basic program, just charge it up and press start. It requires a wee bit of reading up on if you want to use the other features such as setting up courses or the virtual training partner. The size of the  face takes a bit of getting used to as it's a bit big and bulky, however after a while you hardly notice it. All in all it is worth asking Santa for.

• I have the garmin 310xt with heart rate monitor and foot pod, this is a great GPS being water resistent you can use it in all weathers without concern and even swim with it if you wish. The display screen is a reasonable size as such it easy to see when your running.
    The footpod option is great as when you run into a subway or under tree coverage, in fact any area which the GPS may have difficaulty obtaining a signal then the footpod provides this information to keep the data consistent. It also provides data on running cadence.

Does everything I need and has all the features I want.

• I've got a 405, received as a xmas pressie 2 years ago and I would n't be without it.  Lots of functions on it, you can set up intervals, lap times, target pace etc and it's just slighty bigger than a normal watch.  But if you want a more basic GPS garmin maybe the 110 is for you.

• 305, with heart rate monitor

Don't particularly use it whilst running,more to measure and analyse post run. Lets me know if what I think I'm doing is right, pace distance etc. The beep every half miles handy though.

I use the training centre software that comes with it, but primarily connect it to 'fetch everyone' after every run to maintain my running log, something I didn't do before.

Got it for my birthday, end of August. Just knocked 6:44 of my half marathon PB. I'm happy with it.

• I've noticed people only refer to Garmins, and have done a generic search on Amazon for "GPS watches" and I'm getting nowt.  Is this the only brand there is at the moment?  And is Amazon the cheapest place to purchase, or are there any other recommendations?

God, they're big.

• I too would recommend Garmin. They tend to be the best around really. Gadget show did a review of all the major running watches and the Garmin 405cx came out top.
    Gadget Show Review

Most of the Garmin's are very similar, like the 305, 405, FR60, 310XT, 405cx, 110, 210 & 410 (!!!) in that they are all based around the same Garmin software and reliability. They function very similarly.

The major differences are 'normally' harder to see at first glance and normally in the tech spec.

Recommendation:: The new Forerunner 110 is great, affordable and has all the major functions like GPS, virtual partner and ability to download data to Garmin Connect (see trip in Google Earth map).

I used to work at Garmin for three years so have lots of experience with them (and other brands too), so feel free to give me a call or drop me an email if it looks like you are going down the Garmin route and I can make sense of all the models for you (0161 921 8174 Scott or email hello@lovingoutdoors.com)

Hope that helps, it is overwhelming the choice out there!
  • I have a Garmin 110 which is great and very simple to use. I have to correct you though Scott the 110 doesn't have virtual partner

• I bought a garmin 110 fore runner about a month ago or so, i think its the bees knees, does what i want, easy to set up and that suits me fine, and i just love geeking up the results after i plug it into my laptop.
  • I have a Garmin type device on my Christmas list too! I was also looking at the Suunto ones... any Suunto users out there? Sorry to jump on your thread Kirstie!
  • Don't know anyone that uses Suunto PrincessJelly - Garmin seems to be the preferred weapon of choice.
  • LovingOutdoors Scott wrote (see)
    IForerunner 110 is great, affordable and has all the major functions like GPS, virtual partner and ability to download data to Garmin Connect (see trip in Google Earth map). 
    Like K says above the 110 does not have the 'virtual partner'  The 110 also has absolutly no way to set up any type of interval based training at all. Maybe not a deal breaker for some but once you get a bit more experienced these may be functions you'll get use out of.
  • Sorry yes you are indeed right, I was getting it mixed up with the new Forerunner 410. Thanks for correcting Paulj48 & k image
  • I have a 305 and really like it and have found it very beneficial.  It is on the big side, but that doesn't bother me.  I like that I can scroll between the stats whilst out running.  My wife tried to use it and she found it too big for her wrists and she recently bought the 210 and she likes that too.  She got it from thw Sweatshop and they have an offer on to get a pair of trainers for £80 for free at the moment with that watch, so if you need trainers, maybe an option.  The 210 doesnt have many of the features of the 305, but if you just want to know how far, pace and time whilst running, this one will do the job.  It has other features too such as being able to program in interval training.

• Personally very happy with my 310xt with heart rate monitor. Its waterproof, so brilliant for multisport. Had a non GPS Polar watch before, but my garmin is a real leap ahead.  I waited for a few years for the GPS sensitivity to improve, and believe the 310/405 units have better satellite pick up which is important in built up areas. Not a cheap bit of kit, but considering the use it gets, believe it to be  good value.

• Hail Hail

The new Garmin 210 has all the training features of the 405 but retains the ease of use of the 110.  Sweatshop are doing them for £230 inc a free pair of shoes up the value of £80.  A really good deal  cos the loved one gets the Garmin and you get the shoes!!!

• If I'd had know the 210 was coming out I would probably have waited and not bought the 110, ho hum.
  • Garmin 305,

Only had a couple of weeks & the biggest thing i love is (probably the same for all GPS watches) is i feel it gives me more freedom, (not in the Willie Wallis sense) before i had one i would religiously map a route out on the web & stick to it so could calc the stats, pace, distance etc..., now i can follow my nose anywhere i want, dump info down to PC & all the stats are there without me having to follow my planned route as if i was on rails.

easy to use, but i will say i still refer to the manual, i reckon the free trainer one above sound good, i ebayed mine.

Cheers

Nick
  • Just the thread I need! I would like to know which Garmin will do all of the following...

1. tell me how long I have run for

2. tell me how far I have run

3. Be able to set it so if I want to (for example) run a mile every 10 minutes  it will beep to tell me

4. i can transfer the data from watch to pc

5. does NOT have a foot thingy or HRM strap (i ahve a perfectly adequate Suunto HRM for that)

which one? THANKS PEEPS!

• @Liz - have a look here. I have the 305, 'er Indoors has the 205, and they both do what you want.

The 305 is the same as the 205, but with the HRM. Even though you've got a Suunto, would you run with both watches? Then again, I know someone who runs with two HRM straps - one for Micoach and one for Garmin. Go figure.
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
    @Liz - have a look here. I have the 305, 'er Indoors has the 205, and they both do what you want. The 305 is the same as the 205, but with the HRM. Even though you've got a Suunto, would you run with both watches? Then again, I know someone who runs with two HRM straps - one for Micoach and one for Garmin. Go figure.

ooh THANKS! I wouldn't run with both watches, nope..have been told off for overreliance on hrm and i admittedly do have an obsession with seeing how many calories i burn off so it's much better if i focus on running for the pure joy of it and seeing my fitness and performance improve image so thats why i'd like a garmin. Link realy helpful, thanks so much!

• Forerunner 205. I have one and love it....................£89.99 on Amazon!!!