Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• brer rabbit wrote (see)

RWMS-you and me doing a May marathon then..almost wish I had gone for Stratford now, it's just I liked the look of Windermere one cos it has nice views of hills!! Don't know what it is like otherwise.

I liked the look of windermere too, but Mrs RWMS liked the shopping at Stratford more... White Stuff, Monsoon, Fat Face, the list goes on... Oh god help me lol imageimageimage

• Recovered enough from Snod to do a 6 mile hilly off road race???????  Opinions please........ I want to do it as i have missed all the club races this year and really want to catch up with everyone but but but but i think it might be a bit soon image
  • NQ - Tricky one, after a road marathon I tend to do too much, too soon, but two weeks sounds fine to me. Your body would be or will during the event tell you how recovered you are. Maybe boost the carb meal the night before more than usual to give you some confidence in your energy stores.

Re. nav talk. I always carry a compass, but don't think I've ever used it. Many events provide adequate "destructions" and if not a well marked map will see you right. Especially if you learn what the differant track/path/road types are, read the contours, look for sightings - e.g. things like distant settlements, rivers, even pylons are great for this in all but the wildest English countryside - and orientate it with your actual direction as you move. Also worth carrying a GPS as backup (garmin forerunners nav funcs will do for events under about 8-15 hours - mode depending), if you know how to upload grid refs (freeware on t'net for this) or track/routes. Check out grough route, a must for the outdoor entusiast wanting to map event routes or plan own adventures. I'm sure a compass is a must in barren wilderness or desert environments, but how many of them do we really have in uk? Your never far from a/b-road or other navigatable feature, even if there isn't another human for miles around.

XC for me tomorrow, 6m off-road sounds easy but these things are a heck of a pace its more like a 10k road race. I've already planned my tactic to avoid getting stuck in a queue for first gate about a half a mile in without risking blow-up. I figure those who've given it thought will run hard up first hill, I'll leave them to that and make good strides down the hill following that (I hope). Excited... first race, or even event since early August image

• Britnik Loved report! Have a feeling you passed me on the way up waunfawer!!image

Marlboro 33 sounds interesting........image

6miles for me this morning longest since snod getting back into it now, notsure if I'm recovered enough to run a strong race in Conwy half next week will still enjoy it though!!!image

• TR38 - I had a 6mile race the Wednesday straight after SNOD. You'll breeze Conwy no probs, you'd got your fitness sorted before the mara so you'll be nicely recovered now image
  • RWMS Thanks for that going out again tomorrow into the hills to find some mud!!!image
  • Hi TRex I did Snod this year slowly but surely lovely weather again. Hope to see you at HP 40 next year if I manage to get the training in. Good to see you all are up and running again so quickly after Snod. Sorry about your caravan Brer!

• Thanks NG, getting over it now but am in process of insuring everything I own. Anyone know who insures trainers??image

RWMS-love OH's priorities re choice of marathon destination! Nice expensive shops obviouslyimage

Great report Britnick, loved it!

Jason, how are you coping with rehab?????image

TR38-you'll storm Conwy next week, it'll be a walk in the park

• BR- not well- lolimage

T Rex- yep, they're all either recovery or easy paceimage

NQ- I ran the same race after Snod last year and suffered my only real injury ever when i strained my calf muscle and ended up walking most of the race. BUT, I did turn up late and had no time for a warm up.... No racing for me until the Aber 10k- even thinking that may be a little soon- not to run, but to get enough speedwork in forimage

5m recovery tonight, 10m easy pace for me tomorrow 

• Morning all,
    Excellent report BritNick.

2 runs for me since Snod 2010, 4 miler with a couple of nice hills thrown in and Halfway up Snowdon yesterday morning. Felt really good.Haven't felt this fit since I was a schoolboy. image Having looked at my training plans for end of last year, if you can call it training!! total miles covered from October 2009 to March 2010 was 14!!!!! Shocking really. I really need to carry on and push on with the training now as I am targeting 4:30 for next year's Snod.
    SS
  • XC today, though our league are more like muddy trail races with lots of interesting tough hills. Arrived late and wiped out by first mile overtaking and downhill heroics - I'm still deluded that I'm as fit already as in summer. I didn't let too many positions slip and got over 4mins inside prev best course time.

BR - yes it is worth insuring most things in my experiance, if there were trainer insurance I'd hate to see my - or BN's - quote.

SS - Push on through, go for it, though the snow and ice play havoc with fast running, longer, slower efforts and off-road running don't suffer that much.

• Well the legs didnt let me down this morning .......6 mile x-country.... very hilly cousre around some lakes in pembrokshire....with a very steep hill up the side of a dam to finishimage.  Knee deep in mud and riversimage......very slippery conditions but made it around in only a few seconds slower than last year.  I have to say i really think this is one of the toughest races in our interclub league and was even worse than i remembered it from last time.  Conditions were a lot worse though.  No ill effect so far on the legs but to be honest there was not a lot left in them by the end.  Another week of recovery and off to do the Elan valley 10 miler next weekend.

Hope everyone else has had a good weekend and is recovering nicely..image

Brit Nick ...great blog report ......bought it all flooding back image

• NQ2- good going- well doneimage

SS- that's the spirit!image

10m for me in sunshine todayimageimage- furthest since Snod and my legs seem to be recovering well- still not 100%, but on the way. Tootled around at 8.02 av paceimage

• panadpanad ✭✭✭

slow meandering plod through the woods for me today image  rain held off until the last mile of my return home - and to be fair it helped clean me up enough to be allowed back into the house so can't complain!

legs are feeling ok when i'm out running (albeit at a v slow plod) now image

• Winter is setting fellow Snods..been for a very random visit to Liverpool today..dont know why, just needed to do something different. Went in search of the Cavern and was little disappointed.

Anyway, was very cold on the banks of the Mersey whilst eating our butties. Good running there folks.NQ-that sounds like a fun little jaunt.

I calculated I did 48 miles last week-not a good recovery plan but pounding those pavements got rid of some aggressionimage.

• Wow Brer....thats going some for a recovery weekimage  Understand your aggression thing though ....sorry to hear about your caravan ........there are some reall shitty people out thereimage  Im not so sure about the fun little jaunt......i dont remember this race being quite so tough but i dont suppose i had run a marathon 2 weeks before it last year and my god has it rained some here this week ......mud, mud and more mud.....but hell yes it was worth getting up for image
  • Look what I just found in a '12m unhealthiest foods article' - Turducken. Guess its that time of year, haha!
  • It's a take on a very old recipe. If I remember right it was for a King or some such and the originanl used up to 13 birds, ranging from  finch sized bird up to and including a swan!! 

Sounds blooming lovely though image - who needs carbs anyway  lol

• Hello again everyone!  Just taken me ages to read through this thread, glad to see it's going strong even if Snod 2011 is a long way off!

I ambled around a few 4 mile runs then a few 5 milers then went and did the same off road x country quagmire of a race that NQ2 did...............although I had a sit down around 4 miles in the mud.....unfortunately it wasn't a planned rest break but i don't seem to have done much lasting damage.....a bit of a shock and i think it affected the rest of the run and I ended up covered in mud.....but i managed to finish the race nearly 4 and a half mins quicker than last year but still not as fast as I would have liked.  It actually showed me just how non-recovered i was from Snod but it was all good fun!!

Off to do another silly one next sunday....Pembrey Multi Terrain 10 miler.....a mix of grass, trail, sand dunes, beach and a bit of tarmac.  Only doing it as I loved it so much last year and I think i would regret not doing it this year. This one and the one yesterday are the only 2 i've done off road so can't justify buying shoes for 2 races a year..............hmmmm or maybe i could just find some more races to do???

Still can't decide about a spring marathon.......have gone to enter on the site sooooooooooo many times but can't quite bring myself to do it!!!!

• Hi all

Just been catching up on the weekend adventures, NQ, Andrea b that race sounded so much fun been looking at some off road stuff.....going to get conwy half out the way this weekend then seriously going to have a go at some off road running absolutely loved that mad decent into Llanberis image

8miler for me tonight going to do half of it at half marathon pace.........find out if legs have recoveredimage

Snowdonia Snail  Have un ignored you and can see your posts!! sorry mate I was getting paranoid thought I'd upset you!

• Andrea B ...what about Ras y Mast....another nice off road....or should i say Fell race.....or better stiil Hell raceimage  Surely three races would warrant a nice pair of extra grippy off road shoes!!!!!!!

TR38...it was fun and very muddy ...would have been better still a couple of weeks down the line witha bit of extra umppph in my legs ....the run down into Llanberis was just such a thrill ....fail to see how you couldnt just go for it!!!!!!!........made the climb up Waunfawr almost worth itimage  Good luck with your half ....im off to do a hilly 10 miler .....eeeekkkkk dont know what my legs will make of all of thisimage  Should still be on recovery

• Wild horses wouldn't drag me anywhere near Ras y Mast.........not even once!!!!
  • Wow, this thread is romping away as usual (I would expect nothing else of course). Thanks for all your comments on the blog report. It brings it all back to me as I write it. It's partly why I do it, to prolong the experience, dare I say pleasure?

Reydon Rover wrote (see)

britNick- just read your race report,very good it brings it all back to me. How come there are no photo's of you giving it your all at the kareoke? 

RR, I saw someone capturing my first performance on a videophone. I can't recall who it was. Anyone going to own up?

I've really enjoyed catching up with everyone's exploits. Well done to all. I like the sound of the muddy off-roaders. DE, glad to hear you got out for your first event. You must be well on the way to recovery now. Will I see you next Sunday at Wuthering Hike?

I did Six Dales Circuit on Saturday (25 miles in the Derbyshire Dales). It was a gorgeous day but I struggled, not I suspect because of SNOD, but because I didn't fuel myself well enough on Friday. A good curry or fish and chips might have done more good than a prawn cocktail salad.

• Hi BN, I am out next Sunday, but have opted for Wensleydale Wedge as dragging the folks up with me to see my uncle and have a few black sheep / old peculier in Masham. Not too many of course, I think 23m will be hard work right now, esepcially if I'm trying to keep up with Mark.

I agree the prawn cocktail salad probably lacks a bit of something you'd need for 25m, I still have such fuelling muck-ups myself occasionally, though should know better by now.

Wow that race took more out of me than I thought, I was generally lethargic all day afterwards and somewhat stiff in the lower body today. I suppose running 7:30s off-road on hills is never going to be without consequences.

• Evening all

7 miler for me saturday along the lovely east coast, then off to portman road to watch my team get thumped 3-1 by barnsley. On sunday i had to referee my youngest boys football match, which they won and he scored twice so a good day. 

BritNick-25 miles on a few prawns and a bit of lettuce, amazing stuff!    

• Oh you mad lot..wild recipes, mud and beer..who needs tabloid press for 'off the wall' entertainment?image

BUT-mega, mega news..caravan found intact and thieves caught by our good men in blue ( South Yorks division-thank you..if any of you work for them). Got phone call tonight to confirm it...cannot believe it..sooo happy.

DE-will be pounding the trails of the Yorkshire Wolds again next year again now. It is these kind of things that upset you eg the memories of what you used to do and go from caravan or anywhere else that is of sentiment more than the financial value isn't it? My rabbit on my avatar is in that van too!!!! OOOps, may starting blubbering now image.

Anyway, touche team

• image Great news Brer image Great things have worked out after all the upset and aggravation! Good you haven't renounced the Wolds, some great runs out there.
  • Brerimageimageimageimage

6m in the dark and cold for me tonight- running feeling smoother than ever on newly fresh legsimage. Going to try a track session on Wednesday which should bring up the 3000m for the yearimage