Talkback: Win the ultimate spring marathon experience

Comments

• If they have listened to the feedback last year and improved the training schedules then i think i will be interested in following some of them.....I was on a couple of threads last yearimage
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Best of luck to all. Last year was awesome, an experience I still treasure, and I expect this year will be even better. image

With the benefit of hindsight the best advice I can give to all the newer runners (ie like me last year) thinking of applying is you need to build the mile base now. Don't think of a mara as 16 weeks training only if you want to avoid injury and fulfil your potential.

• Ah the temptation to apply again...lost out to Spinkletoes last year (a worthy winner though). Does anyone know if being shortlisted last year precludes you from being shortlisted this year?
  • Well it may well entice new members and so it should - at the very least it's awoken this sleepy member.  This opportunity seems to have a lot more pros than cons - true Paris ain't no London but you also get to go to Birmingham...or is it Manchester ? Those 4 December locations under 'Who we're looking for' and 'how to apply' perhaps point to the first test of endurance running??
  • I've entered already. what a fantastic opportunity to learn from such experienced people. I've not been a member on here for long, and i have not made that many posts, but i follow the site avidly, i'd love to win this. I've never done a marathon before, but it's been a goal for a long while now.

As much as i'm sure the London is "The" marathon so many people want to run, i'm sure that the Paris marathon will be every bit as good.

Fingers crossed. image

• As Super Gibo say's!

I am planing to do my first Marathon in 2011 anyway so this has really come at the right time for me!

My form was sent in on Friday so fingers crossed I at least get to see some of you in Birmingham or Manchester on the 4th.

• i think this sounds like a fantastic opportunity to learn from experienced runners, nutritionists, etc

time to download the application form.... image

• As usual at this time of the year, when an application comes to me via email I fill it in and hope for the best.  Actually I do that with any competition and the number I have won are very low, or close to zero in reality.  But perhaps this time... 

However the opportunity to work with a professional sports team is not to be missed

• Me and my friend are going to do the New York in 2011, so this comes at a very good time to get professional help. 

• Hi folks,

Apologies - just to clarify, the selection day will take place in Birmingham (not Manchester). Looking forward to reading all your applications (it may take a while..!)

Alice

• This is an amazing opportunity! I hadn't heard about it last year, but will definitely be applying.

Can anyone advise on how comprehensive my application should be, especially with regard to the strenghts and weaknesses boxes?

Thanks,

K

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I think this sounds like a well thought out competition prize this year.  It will be interesting to see what the improved schedules bring, and, maybe the schedules will be tailor made for the individuals. 

Also, the selection days seem like a good idea.   A good chance for the lucky participants to learn exactly what is involved and what is expected of them in return for the coaching, as well as the coaches getting to see the hopefuls at work. 

This is a very valuable prize: personalised dietary, physio and sports psychology support from the ASICS PRO Team throughout the training, schedules, training days, all the gear.  Its every marathon runners dream! 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Kryptonite -  I am no expert but I would say keep to the point and be honest. 
  • Well I have entered. 

I don't mind that its not London, in fact it will give me a chance to use my CSE French !! LOL

I never win any competitions so would be well surprised if I get the call !!  good luck to everyone who enters.

• This looks like another great opportunity for 6 lucky people. I entered last year but didn't get anywhere like most people. I followed AndyV on the sub4 schedule and it was very helpful and motivational, and helped me hit my sub4 time (just). Andy, all of the forumites and Steve MC were great (seren nos) I see you're on here already.
    I'm definately going to apply again later today
    Simon
  • This is my first actual post on here - done lots of searches on here for advice, events and plans and posted reviews of races over the last couple of years, but not actually put fingers to keyboard on the forum.  Not because I haven't wanted too though, just a time thing with being a single working parent of two teenagers.

A friend and I had been looking for a Spring Marathon and we've not long signed up for Edinburgh in May, but this opportunity to get coaching for Paris is too good to miss.  I hope not having been a regular poster won't go too much against me -  I wouldn't be surprised if once I get started you all want me to shut up.

Oh well the entries in now, so fingers crossed image

• Entry in, but am not holding my breath.
  • Alli Bongo wrote (see)

This is my first actual post on here - done lots of searches on here for advice, events and plans and posted reviews of races over the last couple of years, but not actually put fingers to keyboard on the forum.  Not because I haven't wanted too though, just a time thing with being a single working parent of two teenagers.

A friend and I had been looking for a Spring Marathon and we've not long signed up for Edinburgh in May, but this opportunity to get coaching for Paris is too good to miss.  I hope not having been a regular poster won't go too much against me -  I wouldn't be surprised if once I get started you all want me to shut up.

Oh well the entries in now, so fingers crossed image

Alli Bongo.................you will have to kick the teenagers out so that you will have the time to post.............part of the prize is that you have to kepp the rest of us informed and entertained............night and day.............image

• Having entered the same process the last couple of years, but of course for the London Marathon, there is definitely less chatter on this competition which I suppose could indicate less people have entered which I suppose is because shifting it a few miles further puts people off.  I reckon that if next year it shifts to Australia I will definitely get a place! 
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I like your thinking John! 
  • I could be thinking too deep about this Minni.  Perhaps its because of my profile, I'm too old, they don't think they could ever do anything for me, I'm too slow they don't think they could ever do anything for me, I can't write a compelling reason on my application to pick me.

Or perhaps that's just paranoia as opposed to deep thinking.  Perhaps they don't select people with paranoia though I don't think I mentioned it anywhere.  Its a worry isn't it?

• Andy,

Dont worry about holding your breath, but you should be tucked up in bed t 2.10AM !!  

• I just recieved the email and i must say it sounds tempting. I have just ran the Snowdon 3-4 weeks ago and found it really hard near the end, it actually took me 1hour an 16 mins to run the last 4 mile over the hill down to the finish. With a finishing time of 4:13

but after the run i want more lots more. My aim now is to run a hundred marathons before am 50.

I have only wrote on the forum 3 or 4 times. but would love the oppotunity to get professional help with all aspects of running.

Good luck to all that enter sounds a great package.
  • Perhaps I won't get a place because I normally wear Nike shoes, though if anybody from Asics is reading these I have had a pair, two I think, of Asics before.  And of course if anybody from RW is reading these they will know I enter every competition (and I haven't won one yet, wink, wink) so they know I would wear anything to run in, especially in Paris, currently my favourite city.

Well I have entered the competition but if I'm as successful as all the other comp I enter on here I'm not holding out much hope image 

Unless post count is taken into consideration then I may be in with a shout.

ie. bog off newbiesimage

• Tommygun I believe they go mainly on your event reviews count!image
  • image oh well it was worth a try
  • Nah just kidding, haven't really got a clue on what gives you the edge to hit that boot camp.
  • Tommygun2: I think john ford 5 was just trying to top trump you, as that was the only thing he had done more than you. If it was top trumps I'd be the 1st one sent packing though, so let's hope they're not going for a retro 70's game option.
    Good luck to everyone Si
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    TG - I'm sure saying 'bog off newbies' will help your case no end image

I'm going to apply - I've never entered the super six comps before but now's a good time for me

I reckon they get thousands of entries though