LenserH7 or Fenix HP10

2»

Comments

• you might find running with a thin hat or buff under the band will help comfort on long runs

and as cougs says breath fog in the cold can take a while to get used to - at least it's telling you that you're still breathing!!
  • shawkshawk ✭✭✭

Yeah foggy breath was a bit of a pain, you need to shut your eyes when you drink too otherwise when your hand cuts the beam you blind yourself!

• Have a look at Black Diamond head torches. I have the ICON which I believe puts out 100 lumens and has a range of 100 metres. Weight 188g and a very good battery life.

One advantage of the Petzl mentioned above is that it can take lithium batteries which are considerably lighter than standard betteries and have a much longer life.

• I believe the Fenix HP10 can also take litium batteries but when I was researching the Lenser, I couldn't find any mention of it using lithiums. I'm not sure if there is any difference to an appliance if the power supply is lithium or alkaline.

• Usually it is considered an advantage if the torch can use lithiums for the reasons mentioned above and because of their long shelf life (typically 12 -14 years).  It means that if you don't use the torch for a long time you know that the batteries will still work when you need it.

It's just another plus point to consider when comparing torches.

• Interested in what you have had to say here

I have a alpkit gamma and a pretzl tikka XP.  They are about the same but prefer the alpkit as it has a red light on the back and like the original poster I like the over the top strap, my tikka keeps slipping down and annoying me.

I am looking for something brighter for more off road ultras as although the 2 I have are OK on the streets when I go off road I still dont feel very confident.

i was swaying towards the Fenix for the top strap and the H7 for the weight.  would be interested in how anyone compares the two and when on the higher setting how much brighter are they than the 2 I have which are both about 50L I think

I also found this, any comments http://www.lumenjunkies.co.uk/Cree%20Q5%20Headlamp

looks like it has the same sort of L but lasts less time due to battery life, could carry spare batteries I suppose! Any other disads to this one?

• I did an 8 miler a few nights ago on unlit 'B' roads in the middle of the countryside. It was pitch black with nothing more than star and moonlight.

I ran with the Fenix on the 120 lumen setting and it provided more than enough light. I actually ran some of the way on the lower 50 lumen setting but after using the 120 level, the 50 level seemed a bit dull. The 50 lumen level is adequate for roads but I thought I might as well benefit from the more powerful 120 level. At 120 lumens I could make road signs and cats eyes twinkle at a distance of around 200 - 250 metres. The Fenix is also waterproof which sounds a bit extreme for running but at least you know any sweat or condensation shouldn't cause it any problems. I'm not sure how waterproof the Lenser is. The Fenix also has a regulated power supply which is good. 

The weight isn't an issue for me on the runs I have done with it (up to 10 miles). I don't have a Lenser to compare it to but I do like the idea that you can control the lighting levels and not be stuck to presets. Although in reality, I suspect I would end up using it at an unnecessarily high level and burning through the batteries.

It is best to think of the Fenix as a 120 lumen torch as the 225 lighting level is only available in 3 minute blasts. I am doing a night race through a forest next week and that should be a good test for it.

I am very impressed with the build quality. 

• The 225L level is ideal for night time navigation when you need the extra power to spot attack points way off into the distance. For all other times the 120L is more than enough and keep in mind the fenix can supply that 120L level all night long!

• thanks for those comments

Can you switch between power levels on the H7

• Smalleyboy wrote (see)

. I am doing a night race through a forest next week and that should be a good test for it.

Just a comment on this, if you are running in dense forest consider using the fenix diffuser on the light. When I purchased mine it came free and it simply clips on and you can flip it into place when required. To give you an idea of the effect of the diffuser see the pic below

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/images/img0640.jpg

• Yes, there's a continuously variable arm on the back of the H7 on the battery pack for brightness. Having said that I still prefer My Princeton Tec after a few days of evening running now the clocks have changed.
  • shawkshawk ✭✭✭

The jump from 50 to 120 lumens is significant. I've done 4 or 5 night runs now both on and off road and lack of light has never been an issue.

When choosing between torches the biggest negative I had for the Fenix was it's weight, but honestly, when running you don't even know it's there, very very comfortable and balanced. It being waterproof is very reassuring, the build quality is excellent - I really wouldn't swap it for anything at the moment.

• I've had the Lenser as a birthday present from the old man. Given it a quick whirl in the garden and not surprisingly theres plenty of light. I don't think light output is an issue for either torch. The light it self is a well made aluminium affair and the focus is very smooth. It goes from spot to fairly diffuse. That said, mid-focus (about 1.5m wide beam) seems best which is probably where the Fenix is fixed at anyway.

I'll take it for a spin this week and let you know where it stands re comfort.

P.S What's good about a regulated power supply?
  • My understanding is that on a torch with an un-regulated power supply, as soon as the batteries are first used, the light level fades gently over time until the batteries are fully depleted.

Whilst, a regulated power supply keeps the lighting level constant over the life of the batteries until right near the end when it drops off very quickly.

Therefore a torch with a regulated power supply will give you constant lighting levels but when the batteries are done, you may not get much warning.

• All led lensers and others from the same maker are unregulated. Princeton tec apex for one is regulated. Don't know about the others.
  • Did a 10 mile run last night in heavy rain with the Fenix. It was reassuring to know it is waterproof and i didn't need to worry about it failing due to water ingress.

Great bit of kit.

Fenix is regulated.

• Took the Lenser for a test through the forest and local trails last night. In short, its fine. Plenty bright enough, comfortable, doesn't fall off your head. It doesn't make the mud any shallower though.

From other peoples comments the Fenix is also perfectly fine. Since they're pretty similar in price I'd say the Fenix edges it for a) waterproof b) regulated power supply. In all other things they seem equal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the lenser. But the kind of person who heads out onto the trails at night is also the kind of person that will head out into the rain and there, on paper at least, the Fenix has edge.
  • Still undecided

About the lenser, it says max power is 170 lumins, is that on boost mode or is that continuous? What is the highest lumin on the lenser that you can keep it on for hours?

• I believe the Lenser can be kept on full brightness all the time. However, I doubt you would need it this bright.

The Fenix can only run at the 225 lumen level for 3 minutes before it then switched back down to the 120 lumen level. I did a night race last night and only used the 120 lumen level and it was brighter than all the Petzl and Black Diamond torches which the other runners were using. 

• thanks

do you know what the next one down from the top power is on the Lenser? If the brightest is 170 then that will prob drain the battery quite a lot.  I supppose ideally I woudl want something that can stay on about 100 l for several hours

• I believe the Lenser is infinitely variable so you can set it at any lightness level you want. This is one of the big plus points of the Lenser. I believe you can also adjust the width of the beam from a spread of light to a spot. The Lenser gets good reviews. I chose the Fenix over it because the Fenix has an extra head strap over the top of your head and it is waterproof.

I don't have a Lenser but those that do, rate it highly. It is slightly lighter in weight to the Fenix.

• Both of the torches being discussed look excellent but I think i will get the Fenix HL20, seems fantastic performance for the money, and is mega light and works off 1AA. The weight saving over my Myo XP will be significant even taking into account carrying a couple of spare AA's and the regulated output will be a real help as the brightness of my headtorches drop off significantly after an hour in my experience.
  • You can now get a programmable regulated rechargeable battery for your Petzl torches. (Well the latest ones anyway). You can set the two light levels you want and whether you want it regulated on your computer, it basically allows you to program your headtorch for the light levels you want depending on the event you are using it on.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-features/petzl-gets-programmable---core-first-impressions/7472.html

• I went for the fennix.  Just used it once so far in the snow so maybe not the best test.

The prob I had was that there was a very bright spot just infront of me but really it wasnt big enough.  I dont want to get all technical (cos I cant ) but my alpkit shines a consistent beam which is a fairly big circle.  The fennix a bright spot in the middle of a bigger circle but the bit that wasnt bright didnt seem as bright as the alpkit circle if that makes sense.

am I doing something wrong? Is it meant to be like that cos if it is then I dont think it is what I want.  Ideally I want the beam to be about as wide as the alpkit but brighter , none of this bright spot which is quite small larky

• I also have the Fenix and it does have quite a concentrated beam. I use it for night racing and I find it excellent for that purpose.

If you want a wider spread fo light, you probably need a diffuser. I think Fenix do one for the HP10 but it will probably just spread the light at the expense of the distance it throws the light.