DISNEY 2011

Comments

• When I did the Goofy last year we arrived on Xmas Day and went home on the 16th Jan.  I'd definately recommend having a week after the event to enjoy a few ribs, burgers and beers.  Before the race as someone has already mentioned Olive Garden is a must for good pasta.  You get free soup or salad with the main course (they try to push the salad). 

We're lucky enough to own some villas out there which we rent out so we stayed in one of those.  Not sure if it's allowed but the website address if anyone is interested is www.killervilla.com.  If you're renting a car then a villa is certainly worth considering especially for families.  It's very easy driving to Epcot and having the car to stay warm in was a god send with the seasonally bad weather in 2010 although I'm sure it'll be warmer next year for you.  Our villas are just off the 192 near Medieval Times.  The 192 although not picturesque is quite handy for training runs as it's pedestrianised and has mile markers on it.  I used to run from mile marker 15 down to mile marker 9 with a few detours on the way to add extra mileage when necessary. 

It's pretty much a flat course so definately PB potential.  In fact both my half and full marathon times are PB's for me.  They have pace runners with balloons which is pretty handy.  I managed to follow the 3:30 guy for about 21 miles before the previous days half got the better of me.     

We spend a lot of time in Florida so if anyone had any questions I'd be more than happy to help out. I ran the inaugural Wine & Dine half marathon earlier in the month and that was nowhere near as well organised and supported.  The Disney Half/Marathon/Goofy was so much better.

Cheers,

Loz

• slowfoot wrote (see)

There is no admittance to the parks afterwards even for runners. However this year there is a free ticket to the parks on the Monday morning but only for runners

Bummer I fly back on Monday, ANyone want mine?
  • The "marathon monday" is free entry on the Monday for those who complete the marathon only, and you have to show photo ID, I believe.

As we get the ultimate ticket, it's not something we're going to use anyway, but it's nice that their actually doing this now.

fizz, how will your legs feel on the flight? hope you have no problems sitting and standing like I do after a marathon...

Loz, I don't understand how disney can do the most organised race I've participated in, but then not manage to replicate that to their other races. I found Disneyland Half this year also not as good as the main marathon weekend. 

I'm still on my enforced break from running (by the physio) for another week or so, but am keen to get back into training. looking forward to Dopey!

• madaussie wrote (see)

Loz, I don't understand how disney can do the most organised race I've participated in, but then not manage to replicate that to their other races. I found Disneyland Half this year also not as good as the main marathon weekend. 

I'm sure Disney will work on it.  The Wine & Dine was a night half marathon which was perhaps part of the problem.  It didn't start until 10pm as I suspect Disney didn't want to close the parks early.  It's not that hot in October, 9pm or even 8pm would have been a much better start time. 

Also it was very disappointing that my wife and mother-in-law could not see me during the race.   I contacted Disney prior to registering for the race as to whether there were places to spectate and it was very difficult to get a straight answer out of them.  All they seemed to be interested in was selling Finish Line party tickets.  When we asked staff at the start of the race we also received very confusing information and in the end they didn't manage to see me which was a real shame as they had been waiting with me at the start for almost 4 hours. 

Perhaps Disney will think about this aspect in future.

• Madaussie, dont think it matters much about my poor legs. Kids  are supposed to be back in school on MOnday so its a bit of a stretch til wednesday as it is. Would love to say until  the tuesday as we could fly home direct ,rather than transfer at Boston. Last time we came through New York , we ended up  stranded  in the airport for three days. was a nightmare getting home. Never again.

What has you on the injury bench my buddy?

• Another vote for the olive garden.

In 2012 we plan to cruise after the race. Im so excited, when do entries open?

• Fizz, its called something I can't remember. basically the patella isn't happy with its little groove so it jumps out. very painful, and tends to be brought on by brisk walking or running downhills.

Orlys mum, 2012 entries will probably open not long after the 2011 race.

• Luxating patella.

Ouch !!!

I better start flexing my cc its not cheap !!

how much was it last year for the goofy challange? 

• I think $295, but can't quite remember...you sort of block those kind of memories.
  • does anyone know how strict they are on the keeping above the 16 minute mileing all the way round?
  • after the last person crosses the start line, then some guys on bikes follow everyone. you just have to stay in front of them.

lots of people walk (briskly) the entire thing.

• Orlys mum wrote (see)
    how much was it last year for the goofy challange? 

Looking back at my confirmation email it was $304.03. 

It is a lot of money but we got 3 really good quality long sleeve shirts plus you do get all that bling image

• thanks runlozrun. times that by 2 and its a bargain,lol.

Talking about tshirts, dad you guys manage to get any merchandise of the net , i seen cool tshirts, that say Im in training for disney marathon or something like that, I tried to see how much but the stupid web site just kept going around in circles.

p.s we are flying out on the 4th this year with virgin from london, any body else going?

• I've got one of the 'In training for the Disney half marathon' shirts, but I could only find it on the American Disney Store website, so I got it sent to a friend who lives in America who posted it over to me. I'm afraid I couldn't find them on the UK website. I seem to remember that it was possible when ordering using the American website to have them shipped straight to the UK, but it was very expensive so I saved a lot of money sending them to my friend.

Hope that helps and you manage to get hold of one, I love training in my official Disney shirt!

• Thanks Anna, I can do that too,good idea.
  • I will be going over on december 30th. Maybe closer to the day we can see who is around for a pre race meet up? Do people usually just jog around the streets if they arrive early? Dont plan on not running for 10 days before the race.
  • Depends where you are staying? villas are good, but  a lot of the hotels are surronded by busy roads, would be stopping ALL the time, where you staying, Ive probably been,lol,

APART from that...how is the training going?

• Will be staying in Best Western Orlando centre or suites or something like that.

Training is going ok so far. Hve a marathon on sunday. Havent run in the last 4 days so feeling a bit nervous about slowing down too much. Want to go for a pb.

Hve another marathon 2 weeks after that and then its pretty much fun running til Disney I reckon.

• Goofy and Donald are full. Just the marathon with spots left.
  • BUmp up here.

Nearly there folks. Is there another board or has evenyone just gone quiet?image THis

day 4 weeks and it will all be over.image

How is everyone getting on  with preparations?

I have a few alamo vouchers for car rental. up to 30$ off per rental. I have extra. If nayone wants them.

• I've had a bit of a mare preparing for this. I fractured my fibula at the beginning of June so training went into reverse for a couple of months , ever since then i've been playing catch up and unfortunately my rickety old body has really struggled.

I've currently got what appears to be hip bursitis and have been trying to shake it since early November. I had a groin (adductor?) strain just prior to it and unfortuantely it seems I didnt stop soon enough, I can only assume this has cause irritation and inflammation in the surrounding area, ie, the hip image

I've not been to the physio as quite simply, money is tight. I'm currently not running but walking couple of miles every other day with a 6 mile walk at the weekend. Sad i know but I have to at least keep moving!

At the moment the plan is to walk / run the Donald HM and take it from there. Times are absolutely off the radar, i would just like to get round any way I can. If that means run / walking and taking 7 hours, then if possible i'll do it. However, to do this I need to be pain free after the HM.

Not quite as I planned it but hey ho, got a family holiday to look forward to and hopefully will be able to at least take some part in the marathon weekend.

• Howdy

I'm doing the Goofy challenge in 2011 and am now very excited image

Have wanted to go to Disney Florida since I was a kid so thought I would combine the visit with a little run image

We are staying outside the resort but driving in, hoping the traffic isn't too bad.

• Griffster, thats terribly tough news.

Keep at it though, with medication if necessary. You should pressure your GP into seeing if you can see a physio as an urgent thing. Dont  emphasize the marathon thing, just that your hip is bad post fracture. Then when they get the referral , see if they can squeeze you in before you travel.

I couldnt recomment THE BOWEN TECHNIQUE for alignmnet issues after injury. There are lots of courses about and the trainee therapists dont usually charge for case histories which they need for exams.They are often glad to get the practice if you throw them even a few quid.

• Been struck down by flu all week so my plans for a long run this weekend have gone to pot by hopefully get some runs in next week

Fizz wouldn't mind the details of the alamo vouchers if you still have them  thax

• A patient of mine had a puncture and other difficulty when she rented a car last year. Not the fault of the car or the company but they felt so bad about her experience that they gave her about 10 vouchers or maybe more for 10dollars discount each. YOu can only use 3 per rental so I was going to rent my car twice and use 6 vouchers or whatever way I can work it for best discount. YOu are welcome to the others. Just let me know where to post them to. They have to be used before February when they expire. Thats why she gave them to me , as she wont be going back before then.
  • Forgot to ask. The expo...when and where is it on? Do we get more emails from the organisers? Have heard precious little from them since they took my money image

MUst check the weather they are having now. MIght give me an idea what temperatures to expect.

• Boy am I glad that I decided not to go for the cheap option of going out via the UK. After last year I wasnt going to take the chance, but 400 euro saving makes it worth considering. PHew. Am pretty sure we will get out ok.  HOw is everyone else fixeed for travel? Any disasters like last year?

• Fizz

You need to go the Disney website and download your race waiver go your number etc.

You can also download a programme which has some useful information, but an interesting point about the programme most of the photo's in it are faked.

As for the weather whatever happens happens I had an 8hour delay last year so will take a good book to the airport.

• Ok. Waiver sorted. Directions t expo sorted.

At the risk of driving you all mad with my posts... I was wondering what the usual temperatures have been the previous years - before they had the colder than usual one last year?

• When I did it in 2009 it was about 45 degrees at the start and in the 70's 4 hrs later.

Good luck to all those doing it this year, So Jealousimage