Bike Fit question

Grrrrr.... just lost a long post on this, so now trying a shorter one!

I have a Boardman Team Carbon road bike, that is, if truth be told, a touch (maybe 1cm) too big for me, but that and a set of Profile Century Aerobars is all I have for IM Regensburg.

I'm going to get a bike fit done. Should I try to get a position that is as "tri" a position as possible (happy to swap aerobars, cant afford to swap bikes!) or get a fit for a road cyclist?

Until recently I would have plumped for Road bike position straight off (it's a road bike after all) but the couple of times i have used it in any endurance anger (at the Swashbuckler HIM and the Ballbuser Du) I had quad cramps early into the run, which might be partially fitness, but might be possibly in part my position on the bike?

Second question.. anyone had any experiences of these bike fit approaches?

Retul Bike Fit

or

Dialed in motion

Thanks

Comments

• There is no harm in getting a bike fit other than to your wallet.   Personally I think they are a bit unnecessary - you have 3 contact points and the pedals are pretty much fixed - how hard can it be to sit on a bike ?

Having got the Victor Meldrew bit out of the way - I would ask the bike fitters what they think.   I can't see that it would hurt them too much to give you two positions - one with and one without tri bars.   They may say that counts as two fits but if they aren't willing to tell you how much to move the saddle and the bars they are being a bit precious imo.   If they wont it's hard to advise - which is more important to you ?   You spend most of your time training probably not on tri bars - but setting a position on tri bars is probably more tricky to get a position you are happy with.   I think ultimately you need to be happy with both so I'd really try to get someone that will do both - and then take their advice. 

My only experience of those two is a mate just had a Retul fit a month or so back.   They told him to raise his saddle right up - he reckons more than he would have arrived at fiddling with his position himself - he seemed very impressed with the process and has followed their advice.  

• I had a road bike fit as I can move the seat forward  if I fit aero bars to this one. Your still going to be on the road bars quite a bit Ali compared to the aero's.
  • Oh yeah and my seat is higher than I would have fixed it at myself. And it feels ok to me on the short distance I've tried it on which was 13 undulating not hilly miles. So I was in the saddle all the time.
  • popsider wrote (see)

Personally I think they are a bit unnecessary - the pedals are pretty much fixed - how hard can it be to sit on a bike ?

We changed the length of the cranks when my new bike was set up.........

• Hi Ali

I recently had a very thorough bike fit at the LBS when my insurance replacement bikes arrived. I too have a road bike which I will put aero bars on for long distance next year so by default we are looking for a compromise position he was also conscious of saving run muscles where possible so a position that will slightly bias the quads on the bike. For the winter I will be commuting/training without aero bars though but dont like having two bike set-ups as I would rather get my body used to one position (I do get the odd lower back problem which has come on before with aggressive road bike set-up)

My fitter arrived at a reasonable non-aero bar position so I was comfortable and efficient on the hoods and the plan is to change to a tri-specific saddle when the bars go on next spring. Apparently they are longer so you can move forward on the saddle to compensate for the longer reach.

I don't know what fitting system he used but it mainly involved sitting me on and off the turbo and tweaking around with the stem/saddle until we were right.

I have found the new position gives me no back pain and it does feel like I am transmitting more power through the pedals. Not had to run off the bike yet but feel confident that it will be ok.

• Agree with Popsider, a bike fit can be unnecessary if you concentrate on the 3 basics (assuming you have the correct size bike)

When you fit Tri bars on a road bike you're never going to be in the best body position, that's why Tri bikes have different geometry to accommodate.

I'd suggest a set of Tri bars that allow some adjustment back towards the rider so that you can get a decent elbow angle and lean position such as the Profile Design T2+

Er, no I do not work for PD image
  • Ali
    Don't know if you ever pop into your LBS,  but Guy & Paul do bike fit,   never had one done by them but they certainly know their cycling.

LBS

• Cheers all, some useful thoughts, keep them coming!

re Corriodori Jaffa, yes have been in there, nice guys. I looked lst night on their website and was going to include them as a third option but the site seemed down. Looks OK this am though. 

Another one to add to the mix! 

• Retul are superb. Have had road and Tri bikes done. www.bikefit.co.uk
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    popsider wrote (see)

Personally I think they are a bit unnecessary - the pedals are pretty much fixed - how hard can it be to sit on a bike ?

Did they recommend longer ones ?   Most bike fitters seem to favour longer cranks.   Personally I'm going back the other way to 172.5s next time - easier to get a decent cadence with.   

• Ali,

Give me a shout when you have decided. I will then tag along based on your research.

Have you tried Windy Milla/WyndyMiller/WindyMilla on the hogs back - a bit nearer than MK. They have one they can adjust on hyrdraulics whilst you ride. I presume they use their machine to work out the measurements first and then transfer to your bike for some final testing.

Meface

• Ha, gotta love this. £60 quid to tell you to lay off the pies and the pints, and you *might* go faster.

I'm off to register www.statethefeckinobvious.com and make millions image

• AliAird wrote (see)
    I had quad cramps early into the run, which might be partially fitness, but might be possibly in part my position on the bike?
    Wot, crouched by the side of the road swearing at the bike bits scattered on the grass ? image
  • Ali

re position - are you planning on riding IMR in the aero position..?? if so thats where you will be doing most of your riding in the 3 months leading up to it.....  no point having aero barsif you are not using them...

I shoved my saddle all the way forward on my boradman, ,to open the hips a little apparently, andhave not suffered with cramping.....

If you are too stretched out you can always get a slightly shorter stem.... ebay has a few 90 - 100 mm ritchey stems, and not many people buy the comp stuff as everyone wants wcs.......  so a replacement stem shpould be pretty cheap, when it eventually comes up.... 

I have not notcied any problems / poor handling with the saddle forward - its only an inch or so after all......

Finally re cramps - how is your flexibility....?? esp of your hammis...    Could be a good tiome to take up yoga or just start to do lots of hamstring  stretches / forward bends etc etc....

• popsider wrote (see)
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    popsider wrote (see)

Did they recommend longer ones ?   Most bike fitters seem to favour longer cranks.   Personally I'm going back the other way to 172.5s next time - easier to get a decent cadence with.   

Yes longer ones, But then again I am 6ft4 so fitting me to any bike is an art !

Now if only I coould ride it