Marathon and John o Groats Cycle training

Hi Guys

I'm currently doing the John O Groats to Lands End cycle ride in 9 days this June.

I also want to do the Loch Ness marathon in October.

Is this too much to take on as they are within a few months of each other? I've already completed a marathon last year, and have kept my training fairly regular.

Has anyone got any good tips / training plans which would allow me to train for both and be successful (relatively quick times - sub 4 hour marathon at least) in both.

i'd appreciate your advice.

Charlie

Comments

• Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭

Hi Charlie,

A few years ago at the end of April / beginning of May - ran the London Marathon (2:59) then 4 days later cycled from Land's End to John O'Groats in 10 days then the day after ran the Silverstone 10k in 37 minutes. So I'd say it's very much possible!

I began training in February as I'd been off running a couple of months with injury. I'd cross trained in the meantime. Once I was able to start running I focused more on training for the marathon than the cycling, aiming to get out once a week or so for a minimum 60 mile bike ride. I was relying on the cycling fitness compensating for lack of saddle time.

The marathon went better than expected, the LEJOG was hard work - especially in the first few days as I hadn't fully recovered from the marathon, but after a few days I found my cycling legs and found that all the running helped loads on the hills in Scotland.

To be honest, your two events are months apart, so you could concentrate on the cycling up till June then after a week or so rest prioritise on training for a marathon. Once you've shaken the fatigue out of your legs you'll hopefully feel fitter for all the cycling - and those two hour plus long runs will feel like nothing after 9 long days in the saddle!

You could keep up with some running whilst training with cycling - I think that all but the most dedicated cyclists can benefit from some running incorporated around the bike rides.

Good luck!

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

You will be fine.

Plenty of time between the two.get your running upto adecent level....then you have 10 days off to go for a nice bike ride.

I did lejog in 9 days solo earlier this year. Nice scenic route.....you HAVE to go via Bettyhill in scotland...so much more sceninc than the A9 down the coast.

• Yeah I did the A9 route last summer, to be honest isn't wasn't the nicest road but it's pretty direct. I had a bitch of a headwind when I did it to, which was odd as I was heading north-east.

I did mine in a gentle 12 days, and so afterwards I didn't feel to bad at all. I'd say as long as your running training is up to stratch before you leave then you'll be fine. You can kind of cycle your way into fitness along the 9 days for lejog, so the training wouldn't have to be too focused on it.  Obviously making sure you can confortabley cycle the 100 miles needed, just eat loads along the way, you'll be fine!!

• Cheers Guys

So it's more about getting the running fitness up, with a couple of long cycle rides thrown in, rather than sticking to a more cycling specific training programme?

Would hill running help for cycling trainign as well, or is it going to be working a different set of muscles than what are required for long distance cycling?

Seeing as you guys have done so much of this in the past, what tips would you pass on for marathon training? what are the best tips for strengthening up the legs?

Cheers

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I had to cycle back from JoG to inverness to collect a hire car.....and yes it is direct, but nowhere near as much fun as through the middle. There is a hostel in Bettyhill, and one in Culrain near Bonar bridge.

It does add a little onto the journey, but well worth it in my opinion.....I took a very scenic route as i had the time to go and see stuff, rather than a simple 'shortest route' option.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    need to work on glutes not just legs....squats and lunges.
  • Yeah if I did it again I would definitely go for a more scenic route,we stayed in inverness so it was probably the easiest for us as well.

I had to cycle back from JoG to inverness to collect a hire car.....and yes it is direct, but nowhere near as much fun as through the middle. There is a hostel in Bettyhill, and one in Culrain near Bonar bridge.

It does add a little onto the journey, but well worth it in my opinion.....I took a very scenic route as i had the time to go and see stuff, rather than a simple 'shortest route' option.