Minutes per mile change

Evening all I have not posted for sometime as I have beer nursing a number of injuries over the last 6 months and I am gradually getting back in to it.
I have a question regarding pace and how it improves over time. I am wondering what was your average mins per mile when you first started and what it is now and of course how long it has taken u to get there ?

Comments

• This will be sooo slow and lame compared to most I know but I'll be honest (don't laff at me lol)

When I first started running (around 17 months ago and significantly heavier than I am now): No point in timing since I could only managed a minute or so actually "running"...

a few months and several pounds later... 11th April, worked up to my first 5 and a half miles at a pace of 10:48.5/mile (although longer runs since this date have shown a much slower average than that - my first half marathon averaged at 11:28.)

fast forward a few months and less some more pounds...

on an average 8 mile run I am now at 8:07.3/mile

My pb on shorter runs so far has been 7:20 and that was on a 2 mile run

Still mega slow I know but when you compare the change since I started running (properly) something to be pleased with I think! 

Seriously, you can stopping laughing at my snail-like skills now lol...

• I have been running for about 15 months.  I can't say for sure but my pace was around 8.30m/m when I started and is about 7.20m/m average pace now.  Tempo runs are at about 6.30m/m which I'm finding increasingly comfortable.
  • GemmysB I'm not laughing you are a hell of a lot faster than me - not even going to post my times - snails and tortoises run faster than I do. I came back after major abdominal surgery in April and I'm about 3.30 m/m faster now than I was then and still improving.

Rob a very interesting question and I shall be interested to see what people say.

• I think it's an interesting point especially when you compare what people think is slow lol. I am only just getting back in to it and my pace was over 11 min miles and i can see it's gradually falling with out even trying. I really do not want to rush things as I am just building a base but 8 min miles appear impossible at the moment.
  • 2007 GNR 1 hr 58 mins = 9.00 min miles

2010 Bridlington Half Marathon (tough course) 1hr 36 = 7:19 min miles

2010 Hull Park run 5k  20min 32 seconds = 6:36 min miles

• I'm really surprised actually - the races I've entered in always make me a little insecure when you realise you came in the last 20% of all the runners for example. Some of the really atheletic looking types can be quite intimidating but I have to remind myself I'm running against myself and no one esle if that makes sense.

8 Min miles seemed way out of my grasp at one point too and I'm so stunned/delighted that I can actually maintain close to that pace now.

I'm not sure of the figures but I've heard that for each pound in weight you loose you get faster and I've lost a few so that's perhaps a contributing factor.

k - to be out there and running after surgery like that is an achievement in itself regardless of how fast or slow you are doing it so super well done.

Rob, seriously, if I can do it anyone can - I think it's a time served thing cos I'm not exactly folowing any hardcore training prog or anything.

The difference between running and jogging is a state of mind, not a speed!

• wow, well done with Bridlington Brad - that is an awesome time / pace for a half!
  • I started in April this year and did 3 mile at about 10min mile

after 7-8 weeks i was running at 8.30 min miles on my 4-5 mile runs training for my first 10k race and some how ran it in 8.01 min mile after that my training was geting better and was running 7.45mn mile for my 8 mile runs and in my next race ran 7.01 min mile a full min faster in just 8 or 9 week

my next run was birmingham half marathon and finished in 1h 37 so thats about 7.25min miles now training for next year and my pace is still going up faster and faster i usualy do about 1.5 to 2.5 hours a day 5 days a week running and gym work hope i can do a sub 40min 10k next year

• Morgan5 wrote (see)
    What is a 'good' pace?

The pace at which an individual can run for any given distance after solid, sensible training?

I hope more people post on this thread, as it's quite interesting. Come speedy guys, show us what you got (and what you had).

I'm not sure if my general aerobic pace has increased but I do know I can run alot further at the same pace.

• If you train properly, and you're willing to only do only 2 or 3 very long runs every week, you can go from 11 min miles to 7 minute miles on 25+ mile runs within 8 months.  That's a huge, huge improvement.  Takes some dedication hough, obviously.
  • Started running @ 8.00 - 8.15min/mile pace 2 years ago and still run 8.00-8.15 min/mile pace. But 10km time has gone from 41 - 36mins. The easy pace remains the same, the only thing that changed was the mileage going from 30-60 per week and the paces during the effort sessions (track/tempo runs etc) has increased.

• I run on an average 8min/mile pace.  Is that a poor pace?
  • Morgan5 wrote (see)
    I run on an average 8min/mile pace.  Is that a poor pace?
    No, of course not. Do you run all your miles at the same pace or do you vary your training runs and paces?
  • Brussels 20K race

2007 1h36 = 7:45m/m
    2008 rehab from achilles op
    2009 1h41 = 8:01 m/m (v. hot and poor training leading up to the event)
    2010 1h24 = 6:42m/m

To give an indication of what kind of training effort went in to gaining those improvements, total training mileage for each year:

2007 - 533m
    2008 - 298m
    2009 - 1,095m
    2010 - 1,905m so far

Another point of comparison, my first marathon in Oct 07 was in 3h39 and my last marathon in Oct 2010 was in 2h58.

Just to complete the picture, my training paces (with a bit of leeway up and down of course):

Intervals 5:45 m/m
    Tempo runs 6:25 m/m
    Long runs 7:30 m/m
    Recovery runs 8:30 m/m

• All very interesting keep them coming
  • I only started running at the end of August and started at around 11min/mile pace, Now I average arounf 8.30min/mile pace on 6mile runs. I do run slightly faster when I am doing intervals and  slower on recovery. But in 13 weeks i'm happy that my pace is improved as is my stamina to run longer distances. I run with others within a club and I tend not to wear my Garmin now on training nights - but instead run with someone who I know runs at a faster pace to encourage me to up my pace a bit. I only now wear my watch when doing my weekend long run. 
  • I've been really bad at varying my training. I think I need to introduce more (by more, I mean some) tempo runs. I've been running for a while but it's only been over the past few months that I have been using apps for the iPhone to record my runs. I can't wait to tell u all about my faster paces! I'm hoping to join a running club to get some support and better training. Just waiting to become confident enough.
  • GemmsyB wrote (see)

I'm really surprised actually - the races I've entered in always make me a little insecure when you realise you came in the last 20% of all the runners for example. Some of the really atheletic looking types can be quite intimidating but I have to remind myself I'm running against myself and no one esle if that makes sense.

You are right GemmsyB, run you own race to your own goals and don't get put off by other people.

Rob - I remember seeing a significant improvement in my running when I went from running 3 times a week to 4 times a week. Getting an “extra” 5/6 mile run a wee started to make a difference, albeit small. And sometimes that's the way to approach it, taking small chunks off your minute mile pace and building it up.The kay is building up an endurance, but this can be at a relaxed pace. Then introduce some speed work once a week. Hopefully you will notice a difference aftera while.

Mogan5 - Like Blisters and Beer says, you need a mix of pace to your running. You can't run all your runs at the same pace. You need highs and lows.

• Some good advice there I am planning to build up to 20 miles a week and once I have ran 20 for 4 weeks I will start working on pace. Unfortunatley I tend to rush things and end up with injuries so this time I am trying to have some patience.
  • I started running early 2009 and PB'b a 10k at 41.19. Eased off then stopped for a while and started running again properly 1st September this year. I'm now running 45miles a week average. I've spent most of this time base training at 136 BPM (75% MHR) using my Garmin. Below is a sample of how my times have fallen on the same 5 mile run.

7/09/10 - 10:30 per mile

15/09/10 - 09:48 per mile

1/10/10 - 09:23 per mile

7/10/10 - 09:02 per mile

23/10/10 - 08:55 per mile

21/11/10 - 08:47 per mile

• I find this forum an inspiration. I love getting new advice and tips!! It makes me all excited about getting out and improving!
  • Well that my week complete. I managed 18 miles averaging just under 11 minute miles so I will be glad to see the time go down once my lillage increases.  
  • cop-out - Perfect example of the usefulness of a heart rate monitor. Good for confidence in that you can clearly see your fitness improving over the weeks. 1min45secs is a massive improvement over such a short space of time. Do you have equivalent stats for your HR over a tempo run route?

Tinsel Dicky Belgium - I've said it before, I'll say it again: you are the (reluctant) king of stats image

• Cheers BandB. I'm obviously delighted but still about 30/45secs  a mile off where I want to be (sub 40 10k). Would really be lost without a HRM!

Have really been doing mostly base training but have some tempo/race stats...

31/08/2010 - 7.45 miles @ 8:58 m/m         AvHR 156

12/09/2010 - 6.21miles  @ 7:29 m/m         AvHR 174 - (Salisbury 10k)

15/10/2010 - 5miles        @ 7:45 m/m         AvHR 152

27/10/2010 - 6.36miles   @ 8:17 m/m        AvHR150

05/11/2010 - 4miles         @6:52 m/m         AvHR 158

05/12/2010 - 8miles         @7:38  m/m         AvHR 150

• Glad I found this thread. I have just started to think about trying to increase my speed and you have all given me the stats and the inspiration I needed. Thanks! Currently ambling at 10 minute miles with a bit of sprint work thrown in. Would love to manage my first marathon at sub 4, strange how the target has moved from 4hrs 20 just by reading this!! 
  • That's the spirit FSAF! You should see how quickly I run my marathons...just as I drop off to sleep!

cop-out - Thanks for that, I was being nosy, huh?! The interesting numbers for me are your runs of 15/10 and 5/12. Your 8 miler on 5/12 was 3 miles longer, 7 secs quicker per mile and at a lower heart rate than the 5 miler on 15/10. Excellent stuff.

• Thanks Blisters - reluctant is the word. I use stats 'em but don't whole-heartedly love 'em. But if you've got the data, you can come up with some really good insights into improving yourself (which is what I really love to do).

Cop-out - well done, there's a real improvement in your times. However, please be realistic about the rate of improvement. One of the underlying factors that you need to take into account with HR monitoring is ambient temperature.  In the early Sept to late Nov runs you posted, the temps fell a long way. This means less cooling requirement for the body, which means in turn, less blood to the skin surface and more available for bringing oxygen to the muscles => less work for the heart to do, pumping extra blood around.

With this in mind, you will be less disappointed if you start to find your HR levels worsening next spring when it gets warm again

• Tinsel Decs - Mmm. That's worring... Somebody PLEASE say he's wrong, has been drinking and should be detained for his own safety! I guess only time will tell but it would be a real kick in the swingers to get to the Spring only to find that I haven't improved as I thought I had.

Blisters - I'm a bit of an anorak for keeping stats and have charts for set distances so I can plot my improvement. If Tinsel is wrong I hope that my times give creadence to the training plans and advice given by more experienced runners on this forum. 

• Cop-out - Don't panic! TDB is a fine fellow and a good runner too, as he managed to break the sub3 hour barrier for the marathon this year. He speaks the truth but don't worry, if you keep training sensibly, the way you are, the rise in HR that comes with the changing weather will not take you back to where you were. Just keep at it and you will definitely see improvement in your race times, which is what you're after in the long run.