What should I pace my next 10km race @?

Right, I'm running a 10km race @ the end of September. I have a Marathon PB of 3:04 (Aug), and a 10km PB of 38:56 (May). I'm hoping to run a sub 6:00 min/mile 10k @ the end of September. Is it achievable?

I ran the marathon Aug 17th, so I still feel I'm recovering. but this morning I ran 4 X 1 Mile XC in 5:40-5:45 off the back off 90 seconds recovery. I'm obviously breaking my self back in, but I felt capable of performing @ least another two reps @ the same pace. As per usual, the first rep felt hardest.

Drew/anyone else. What do you reckon? Also, do you know any good indicator sessions for 10km pace that I could try? As usual any input appreciated...
KK

Comments

• Looks promising. Try longer intervals?
    If you could manage 3 x 2 miles off about 3-4 mins jog recovery in 11:45 or less that would make you firm favourite for sub 37 mins I'd have thought......
  • KK

When I was running sub 37 10k's my favorite session was 6 x 800 in 2:41-42 or 5 x 1000 in 3:30-32. 400 metre jog recovery in both cases.

Sounds like you're not far off.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys,
    on the subject of mile reps I'm hoping to start doing some again now my fitness is getting back. I will start by doing 4 building eventually to 6. I'm a little confused though as reading the above it appears that the rest between each is only 90secs. When I've done them in the past my recovery has been 3 mins is this too long a recovery? Past times for my reps are between 6.25-6.40 and my fastest 10k is 42mins. To get back to this form what are ideal reps and recovery? Thanks in advance.
  • I only used 90s second recoveries because I'm trying to build up a strength/endurance base as my actual core speed seems to be up to scratch for the sub 37:15 attempt. Also, my runners knee seems to stop me from running much faster than the given pace, so all I can really do to improve is reduce my recoveries. Having said that, I probably will do some off 3 minute recoveries next week, knee allowing, to see what I can do.
    KK
  • Hilly

I think the simple answer is that you need to take as much recovery as necessary to complete the planned session. That said you could run 4 x 1 mile in two sessions both of which have different objectives e.g.

Session 1 - Speed development

4 x 1 mile @ 6:00 - 6:15 with an equal time recovery.

Session 2 - Stamina

4 x 1 mile @ 6:25 - 6:40 with 2-3 minutes (or less) recovery.

Although if I was trying to develop speed for a 10k (session 1) I would probably run shorter than a mile and maybe a little faster.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    KK, I did my PB 10k about 5 weeks after FLM.(it's been downhill ever since) Your mile reps look ok for the sub 37 min 10k.

Is is a flat course?
  • Hilly,

Ideal reps and recovery vary according to fitness and how much (and what type) of "speed training" you've got under your belt already.

KK has demonstrated he's got the basic speed (and more) to achieve his target time.
    The 90s recoveries suggest he's also acquired a decent level of speed endurance, which perhaps could be extended further by running longer efforts at or above his target pace.
    In contrast, you're just starting again, so concentrate first on getting used to running at the required speed once more - i.e. you're just doing a "pure speed" session. Therefore, make the recovery periods generous. If necessary, run efforts of less than a mile to begin with. You're just getting your muscles and central nervous system used to running once more at a faster pace.

Subsequently you want to be able to maintain that pace for longer i.e. "speed endurance". When you're able to run whole miles at your 6:25 (or whatever) target pace, you've already achieved an element of "speed endurance"; subsequently you can enhance it by shortening your recovery periods.
    90-second recoveries a la KK would be hard going indeed. My own preference for incomplete recoveries on mile efforts is to jog a fixed distance (1/3 of a mile) before starting the next effort.
  • Took a while to put together as I was trying to work at the same time....I've only just now seen MartinH's contribution which is more or less along the same lines....
  • ....but your contribution was so much more lucid Mike!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks all,
    I attempt my first mile rep session tomorrow evening with a friend who runs a similar pace, will let you know how I get on.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Ok guys I've completed my first mile rep session since before doing London and here are the results. I would like some analysis of this session as I tend to run as I feel normally, rather than targeting my training towards particular races etc. My aim at the moment is to get back some of the speed endurance I feel I've lost through health problems this summer so that I can run races in general from 5 miles to 1/2M.

Last nights session.
    1 mile jog warm-up
    3x1 miles reps (felt that I shouldn't attempt 4 having not done any for a long while)off 3 min recovery.
    ist rep:6.38
    2nd rep:6.40
    3rd rep:6.42
    2 mile jog cool down to finish. Also, I wore my HRM, something I don't do very often and it reached 167bpm, which I think is 90% of MHR. That's going my age formula as I haven't doen a stress test to find true max.

How should I look to follow this session over the next few weeks?
  • Hi Hilly...first time reply to you.
    That's some going for 3x1 reps. 6:38,6:40,6:42. I never done reps. Not even 1 mile reps as you've done. That kind of pace...is quick. Any chance of training with you ? Having read your bit, i feel i have to give it ago, as soon as my damn achilles get better. My actual running MHR went way above my (age - 220) thing by a long way also. Keep up the good work..SPEEDY. I'll be reading your conquests in the forums. HAPPY RUNNING.