Sub 3h15

Comments

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. I've been feeling a bit homeless since the Abingdon thread closed so is it ok to drop in here? Good to see a few names I know from that thread - Keir, Barry B and RJ. I've read through this thread from the start and am interested in your training talk, eg. the stuff about doubles, as I've found they've helped me.

I'm not really sure what my plans are. I've got my London Champs application by the door, ready to post...although it has been there for a month now! I'm rubbish at winter training as I get frequent viruses (being a teacher, a mum to 2 littlies at nursery and someone who eats chocolate rather than fruit) but I love summer running. So my thought at the minute is to aim for around 3:15 in a spring marathon to keep things ticking over, then go for Abingdon again where I got 2:58 this year.

I've barely run since Abingdon and am not really doing much at the minute as I have another cold.
  • Hi Jane, running 3.33 in LN and then 3.26 a few weeks later at NY is impressive stuff. You must have been pretty tired at the enod of it all.

Did you pretty much follow your plan above to train for that? It sounds as if you are pretty good endurance wise, What are your longest runs leading up to a marathon?

Hi Kier - sorry about odd way this is written - i don't seem to have a "quote box" in my window

i reckoned that since i was fit i would be good to go again 3 weeks later in NY as my longest run before a marathon is usually 23 miles 3 weeks before. Well, when i say usually i mean (in my limited experience of 3!) Thats what i did for London and it seemed to work so i stuck to that. That is the problem - i don't actually have a good plan. i just try to run faster every day for distances i listed earlier and keep it up for longer and longer distances at the weekends on my long runs as i work towards the big day.
  • (Wanders back in from the thick snow and think it's about time to start posting again.)

Have been doing a bit of running but nothing spectacular or worth posting about so have just been following things from afar and lurking.

Most importantly, have cast my vote for you KR. Hope that you get it but don't think that you will, I feel that you have been selected as a token male for the category, with the sub 3 category choice being all male it is unlikely that RW will have two males in the fastest two categories, (I might be wrong)

The snow up here is unbelievable so on wednesday I put on the cold weather kit for running, two pairs socks, tracksters, long shorts, two tops, thermal jacket, two pairs gloves and hat. Well it was -13 degrees and that was in the garage on the treadmill.

The thaw has started so hoping to get back outside to run this weekend.

• OGL - I tried to get out on the roads. Still all very dubious and the pavements are a nightmare - accident waiting to happen.

Jane - yeah I think we've had the worst snow for over 40 years. Hmmmm. Where are your family based ? Echo Keir's sentiments about your impressive improvement in just one year. I did Loch Ness too and couldn't really do anything for a month afterwards (!) so doing NY so soon after is mega. You'll make great strides once you start doing something more structured with some quicker stuff. How are you faring for shorter distance PB s?

Welcome Pipes. Great time at Abingdon for your ! Which spring mara are you thinking of ?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Pipes wrote (see)
    (being a teacher, a mum to 2 littlies at nursery and someone who eats chocolate rather than fruit) but I love summer running. So my thought at the minute is to aim for around 3:15 in a spring marathon to keep things ticking over, then go for Abingdon again

Hi Pipes. Good to see you back. Everything you have said applies precisely to me! image 

In spring I am mainly focusing on a faster HM time then hope for a sub 3.15 a few weeks later. But main focus for the year is Abo, where I hope to improve by 10 mins or so to achieve the time you did this year.

OGL - Good to see you back as well. image -13 is crazy. You should move south and then you can complain then it is -3 for 3 days running like the other soft southeners down here.

Some good LSRs there then Jane. Use the speech marksunder each post to quote and paste quotes.

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Fraser - I've now posted my London entry so probably that one, if I can do it fairly cheaply. I haven't done London since 2005 so it would be nice to go back. My club organises a coach to go down on the morning so there would be good camaraderie.

Sounds like a good plan, Keir. Which half (I know that info is probably on the list I saw a few pages ago but I can't find that list now!)?

Jane - I can't do bold or speech marks, so it's not just you. I think it's because I use a Mac/ Safari but am happy for someone to tell me it's just my incompetence! I have a button for bold, but it doesn't do anything. And if there are any speech marks under each post, I can't see any. I would love to be able to do these things.
  • Hi Pipes - you'll enjoy the banter on here too - a new home for you!

OGL - thanks for the vote, not sure about the gender thing in my category? You should put a radiator in there! Hope the snow melts soon for you. One of my neighbours (who never close their curtains and always have their main light on) has a treadmill in their dining room. I the 4 years I have lived here I've never seen it being used. Maybe I should introduce myself and ask to use it!

Hi Jane326, good to see you on here now, you'll pick up oe good tips if you hang around. What browser are you using? I know that when I use Safari all the quote button disappear and yet Firefox is ok and works.

Work Xmas party last night and feel a bit knackered today. I might try and go for a gentle run later tonight.

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Knight rider. And I'm glad you agreed with the Safari thing. I don't really think the gender thing is an issue either, although I can see what OGL is saying. I'm another person who looked at the posting history of those shortlisted before even reading the Q&A bit or registering the gender. I have voted now image. I do wish they have a female in the sub3 bit, though.

Well, slow 3.5miles done today. Got to re-start somewhere. My chest isn't really liking it though. It felt very mild out there (sorry OGL/ Fraser and anyone else with snow).
  • Glad I wasn't the only one out on the tiles last night. KK - what exactly did Liz say?

Taking it easy today (i.e. no running), but will head out early tomorrow morning. At least all the ice seems to have disappeared.

Welcome too to Jane and Pipes - can confirm what others have said about the fact that there's plenty of good advice thrown around by the folks on here (it helped me go sub 3:15) but a good plenty of serious and not-so-serious.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Pipes wrote (see)
    Keir. Which half (I know that info is probably on the list I saw a few pages ago but I can't find that list now!)?

As good as excuse as any to repost the list. Feel free to add your a goals guys and galls

07.11.10 - SteveC1975 - Regents Park 10K - Around 40 Mins - 40:14 - job done
    21.11.10 - AfE - Abbey Dash 10k - sub-39 as a marker/indicator - 38:22 - job done
    21.11.10 - BOTF - Brighton 10k - under 40:30 - 40:02 - job done
    05.12.10 - GE - Regents Park 10k - sub 38:30
    05.12.10 - SteveC1975 - Regents Park 10K - Sub 40 Mins
    23.01.11- Barry B Gloucester Marathon - Sub 3:15
    23.01.11 - AfE - Brass Monkey Half - sub-1:25
    05.02.11 - Lorenzo - Thames Trot 50 - Sub 8 hours
    13.02.11 - Matchstick Man - Wokingham HM - 1h23m
    13.02.11 - SBD - Wokingham HM - 1:24
    13.02.11 - BOTF - Wokingham HM - 1:25, but seeing the two entries above...?
    20.02.11 - BOTF - Bramley 20 - sub 2:25
    06.03.11 - Scooby - Marathon Catalunya - 3:09:59
    06.03.11 - MsE - Bath HM - Sub 1.30
    06.03.11 - Joolska - Bath HM - tbc...
    13.03.11 - Knight RIder - Retford Half Marathon - 1:26.xx
    13.03.11 - SBD - MIlton Keynes - 1:24
    19.03.11 - Badbark - Larne Half Marathon - Sub 1:30
    19.03.11 - Speedy - Stafford HM  - 1.31.59
    20.03.11 - FINgers - Reading Half Marathon - Sub 1:26
    20.03.11 - Ormeski - Reading Half Marathon - Sub 1:25
    20:03.11 - BOTF - Reading HM - 1:25
    20.03.11 - SteveC1975 - Brentwood Half Marathon - Sub 1:28
    27.03.11 - Keir - Paddock Wood HM - Sub 1:25
    10.04.11 - FW - Chris Hoy HM Edinburgh - Sub 1:20
    10.04.11 - FINgers - Brighton Marathon - 3:09:59
    10.04.11 - Knight Rider - Brighton Marathon - Sub 3.15
    10.04.11 - B&B vs MM in the Regency 10k Smackdown! - Sub39.
    17.04.11 - SBD - VLM  - 2:49
    17:04.11 - Ant - VLM - 2:54:59
    17.04.11 - Joolska - VLM - 2.59.59
    17:04:11 - AfE - VLM - 2:59:59
    17.04.11 - Lorenzo - VLM - sub 3:10
    17:04:11 - BOTF - VLM - 3:10 ish
    17:04:11 - MsE - - VLM  - 3.14.59
    17.04.11 - Speedy - VLM  - 3.14.59
    17.04.11 - SteveC1975 - VLM  - 3.14.59
    17.04.11 - Ormeski - VLM  - sub 3.15
    17.04.11 - Race Jase - VLM - not sure on target just yet, but hopefully I'll be in PB (sub2:39) shape.
    01.05.11 - Gul Darr - GEAR 10k - sub 42
    08.05.11 - Keir - Essex & Halstead Marathon - Sub 3.15
    22.05.11 - B&B - Edinburgh Marathon - 3:09:59
    18.06.11 - Lorenzo - Picnic - sub 4:45

• Nice to see some more laydeez on here, for a while there was only me and Joolska posting regularly and I was feeling rather outnumbered!
  • Hi Kier/ Pipes/ KN/ Lorenzo - i dont have the speech marks. i'm on a mac/safari too and think i'm not getting correct screen view. i only have 3 options - 1message member/ignore or send to friend. have noted as a bug so hope RW techies can help ...KN - think you are right - may change to FFox

Hi Frazer - Loch Ness was my fav so far. loved it. bit shocked at the hills though - did not realise there were so many. am looking forward to improving and feel sure i can if i follow advice/ tips in here. my shorter PB's are crap. 45 for 10k (split in NY) and 1.39 for half.
    not done too many shorter races.

sister in Edinb, another sister in dalkeith, brother in Balfron parents in dundee image

all snowed in - im taking my skis up for xmas and going to aviemore or glencoe image

• OGL -are you in Scotland too?
  • mmm firefox not working either
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Welcome to Jane and Pipes.

Jane - I think we need to get you to run at a range of paces rather than a constant 7:50!  Running slower is the key to running faster - just ask Antimage

Pipes - I had a good view of your heels at Abingdon as you came storming past at 24 miles.  I managed to hitch a ride for a few hundred meters but then you dissapeared in to the distance.  Not sure what your pacing strategy was but you looked in very good shape at 24 miles!

5 recovery miles for me this morning - all very easy stuff although probably a little high on the HR as mentally I've decided that I shouldn't run my recovery runs at slower than 8:34 m/m paceimage

• Is that on a treadmill SBD? 8.34 pace sounds random, except for the fact that it's 7mph.
  • Hi SBD- you've lost me already. i'm too new to this. thought i needed to run faster? ant please explain image
    im off out now !
    8 miles again ....
  •  Keir, would you be so kind as to add my goals for 2011 as i seem to be just as poor on the laptop as running...copy and paste just doesn't seem to work for me...thanks

23.1.11- efc-col Four Villages Half Marathon-sub 1.25

17.4.11-efc-col VLM-sub 3.10

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    Is that on a treadmill SBD? 8.34 pace sounds random, except for the fact that it's 7mph.

Outdoors only at weekendsimage  I work in kilometres, so 5:20 m/km is my new recovery run pace which just happens to be 8.34 m/m!

Talking of treadmills, I still can't work out how to set it for more than 60mins. I've tried all the various options but none of them seem to work.  Any clues anybody?

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

SBD - I work in a gym as a trainer. "Usually" the treadmills usually have a default setting of 1 hr so they will automatically stop after 1 hr. The gym will have a code to re-programme individual treadmills but unlikely they'll change it so it's probably the stop then start again Im afraid.

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    SBD - that's exciting - I don't think I was conscious of much around me at 24 miles. Were you happy with your Abingdon time? I was always told to see the marathon as a 20 mile run and a 10k race, and that has worked at my last 3 marathons (although Abo was the first since 2005). I also assess the situation at halfway and make slight adjustments.

Abo this year was a bit difficult to judge as I got a hip injury 2 days before the race -I was unsure I was going to run even when I woke up that morning. So I was very tentative and miserable in the first half...until I realised I could actually finish and relaxed. I also happened to be running with a really supportive guy (who I didn't know) who urged me on the rest of the way. I imagine you saw him too when we passed. The hip was ok but put me out of training afterwards for a few weeks. Nothing serious - hip was out, muscles around it and all the way down to the foot got tight and angry.

I'll add my goals when I've worked them out. Most likely just going to be:
    17.4.11 Pipes VLM sub-3:15
    But my computer won't do bold on here so I won't ruin your good presentation!
  • Hello guys and gals. Welcome to old returnees and the newbies. I see you've settled in quite well Jane! It's been a really busy week for me, what with being ill, returning to work on Friday (a day too soon) and signing a new contract on a new rented house. (Hooray Scooby - I'm out of Tuebrook!). It's been quite good fun just reading the thread rather than posting my normal inane drivel. Still no running for me since getting the lurgy on Tuesday but might try something tomorrow.

Quick mention to BarryB for his cracking 23 miler a couple of days ago. A great confidence builder and it looks like you're setting yourself up nicely for January.

I have a question regarding the 18 week P&D schedule and the LIverpool HM, which falls on the Sunday of week 10. That Sunday is meant to be a recovery week and only calls for a 14m MLR. For those without the bible in front of them, the Sundays go as follows:

Week   8: 20m LSR
    Week   9: 16m with 12 @ MP
    Week 10: 14m MLR (Liverpool Half Marathon day)
    Week 11: 20 LSR

Any ideas how I should approach it? I know running flat out is probably not a good idea so was thinking of doing it as just 13.1 @ MP but is this a bit risky when the schedule's advising a recovery week?

St Helens duathlon tomorrow. Err...don't think so image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Updated but need you to tidy it up a bit B&B. Glad you are almost recovered. You students seem to move house every 3 months! Is this to avoid baliffs? Personally I would have a R&R week as wk 10 and then AVIT in the HM, using the week as a bit of a taper. Far enough out to recover from. But I don't reckon others will agree with me.

07.11.10 - SteveC1975 - Regents Park 10K - Around 40 Mins - 40:14 - job done
    21.11.10 - AfE - Abbey Dash 10k - sub-39 as a marker/indicator - 38:22 - job done
    21.11.10 - BOTF - Brighton 10k - under 40:30 - 40:02 - job done
    05.12.10 - GE - Regents Park 10k - sub 38:30 - ?? - job ??

05.12.10 - SteveC1975 - Regents Park 10K - Sub 40 Mins - ?? - job ??
    23.01.11- Barry B Gloucester Marathon - Sub 3:15
    23.01.11 - AfE - Brass Monkey Half - sub-1:25

23.01.11-  efc-col Four Villages Half Marathon-sub 1.25
    05.02.11 - Lorenzo - Thames Trot 50 - Sub 8 hours
    13.02.11 - Matchstick Man - Wokingham HM - 1h23m
    13.02.11 - SBD - Wokingham HM - 1:24
    13.02.11 - BOTF - Wokingham HM - 1:25, but seeing the two entries above...?
    20.02.11 - BOTF - Bramley 20 - sub 2:25
    06.03.11 - Scooby - Marathon Catalunya - 3:09:59
    06.03.11 - MsE - Bath HM - Sub 1.30
    06.03.11 - Joolska - Bath HM - tbc...
    13.03.11 - Knight RIder - Retford Half Marathon - 1:26.xx
    13.03.11 - SBD - MIlton Keynes - 1:24
    19.03.11 - Badbark - Larne Half Marathon - Sub 1:30
    19.03.11 - Speedy - Stafford HM  - 1.31.59
    20.03.11 - FINgers - Reading Half Marathon - Sub 1:26
    20.03.11 - Ormeski - Reading Half Marathon - Sub 1:25
    20:03.11 - BOTF - Reading HM - 1:25
    20.03.11 - SteveC1975 - Brentwood Half Marathon - Sub 1:28
    27.03.11 - Keir - Paddock Wood HM - Sub 1:25
    10.04.11 - FW - Chris Hoy HM Edinburgh - Sub 1:20
    10.04.11 - FINgers - Brighton Marathon - 3:09:59
    10.04.11 - Knight Rider - Brighton Marathon - Sub 3.15
    10.04.11 - B&B vs MM in the Regency 10k Smackdown! - Sub39.

17.04.11 - Race Jase - VLM - not sure on target just yet, but hopefully I'll be in PB (sub2:39) shape.
    17.04.11 - SBD - VLM  - 2:49
    17:04.11 - Ant - VLM - 2:54:59
    17.04.11 - Joolska - VLM - 2.59.59
    17:04:11 - AfE - VLM - 2:59:59
    17.04.11 - Lorenzo - VLM - sub 3:10
    17:04:11 - BOTF - VLM - 3:10 ish

17.04.11 - kittenkat - VLM 3.10
    17.40.11- efc-col VLM-sub 3.10
    17:04:11 - MsE - - VLM  - 3.14.59
    17.04.11 - Speedy - VLM  - 3.14.59
    17.04.11 - SteveC1975 - VLM  - 3.14.59
    17.04.11 - Ormeski - VLM  - sub 3.15

17.04.11 - Pipes VLM sub-3:15
    01.05.11 - Gul Darr - GEAR 10k - sub 42
    08.05.11 - Keir - Essex & Halstead Marathon - Sub 3.15
    22.05.11 - B&B - Edinburgh Marathon - 3:09:59
    18.06.11 - Lorenzo - Picnic - sub 4:45

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

B&B - You could ditch Liverpool and find an alternative the week beforeimage  Alternatively,swap or rejig weeks 9, 8 and 7 (numbers as per P&D) so that the recovery week is after the HM.   For Brighton, I ran a HM for the equivalent session inbetween HM pace and MP whereas for the LSR with MP in week 5 I raced a HM.   Both worked but the more conservative run was the easier to recover from and more rewarding! 

Pipes wrote (see)
    SBD - that's exciting - I don't think I was conscious of much around me at 24 miles. Were you happy with your Abingdon time? I was always told to see the marathon as a 20 mile run and a 10k race, and that has worked at my last 3 marathons (although Abo was the first since 2005). I also assess the situation at halfway and make slight adjustments. Abo this year was a bit difficult to judge as I got a hip injury 2 days before the race -I was unsure I was going to run even when I woke up that morning. So I was very tentative and miserable in the first half...until I realised I could actually finish and relaxed. I also happened to be running with a really supportive guy (who I didn't know) who urged me on the rest of the way. I imagine you saw him too when we passed. The hip was ok but put me out of training afterwards for a few weeks. Nothing serious - hip was out, muscles around it and all the way down to the foot got tight and angry. I'll add my goals when I've worked them out. Most likely just going to be: 17.4.11 Pipes VLM sub-3:15 But my computer won't do bold on here so I won't ruin your good presentation!

You were pretty focussed Pipes but your running partner was uber relaxed.  I remember asking him what you'd done the last mile in to be told 6:35.  I finished 34 seconds behind you but was more than happy with that as Sub 3:00 was the only goalimage

RS - A bit annoying but at least it's good that I can use the treadmill for 60+ mins without complaints. 

• Jane - yeah those hills around the 21-24 mark were b*$tards weren't they. I knew they were coming but they kind of hung over me intimidating me for the whole race before I got to them

Even tho it's been 8 degrees all day here the permafrost has far from melted so did my MP session in a sweat-fest on the mill. 4 @7.30/2 @7.00/5 @6.40. Felt quite hard going I have to say

BandB - sounds to me you need to do a bit of creative swapping around to keep all the sessions in place- don't lose sight of the A goal for home town glory ! Might be up for forming a small 3.10 train with you at Edinburgh BTW (at least for part of it)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    MSE - no schedules at this. I'm a weak swimmer, novice cyclist and ok runner. I have done 2 x IM this year and 1 last year.  I typically run or bike in the morning and swim on workday lunchtimes and then top that up with some OW swimming in the summer. I simply include the key runs when it gets nearer marathon time (LSR, midweeker, maybe a bit of MP). This will lead to too much running to be teh best I oculd be at teh 1/2 IM and not enough miles to be the best I could be at VLM, BUT........I'm not trying to win either of em and it is what it is. I made commitment to myself to improve my weak swim and bike and VLm is teh best dauy out you can have for ~£30. However, running approx 3hr marathons on 3 runs/week is flipping tough and lead to a whole world of quad pain on the day. Bike and swim work the aerobic engine but running a strong marathon needs plenty of impact miles in teh bank.