Walking as Cross Training

Hi everyone,

I would just like your opinion on walking as cross training.

I do a postal delivery of + 3 hours per day, 6 days a week, can I class my job walking as cross training or do they mean power walking = cross training.

I am trying to find out if any walking counts, or just really fast walking only.

Charlotte

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi NO LEGS,
    I think to be used as cross training you need to working at about 65-70% of your max for it to have any benefit on your fitness. Mind you, you must get a raised HR if you are walking for 3+ hrs each day.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    If you get out of breath, it counts in my book. Especially if you are carrying a large bag full of junk mail and bills (that's all I ever seem to get delivered anyway). Must build stamina.
  • Some of the fittest people I know (who do things like the KIMM) are posties, so it must help!

I worked for Royal Mail in the mid 1990s - there was a Post Office Athletics club that used to organise track events in the summer and regional X-country events in the winter, culminating in a national final.

The regionals were always during work time and you got time off work (paid!) for them. The finals were held in a different location each year and the Post Office paid for your hotel accommodation and travel. But that was when Royal Mail was _making_ #1 million a day.... Anyway, I ramble, but what I was going to say is that the Post Office Athletics Club (if it still exists) may be able to put you in touch with someone who can answer your questions - there are some bloomin' good runners amoung the Post Office employees!
  • I had a similar query no legs. I have 3 dogs who get 2 1hr walks every day (365 days a year no excuses). My walks are very undulating (steep enough to make you out of breath). I'm sure this must count for something, also means I never get a complete days rest aching legs or no aching legs.
  • Like Ermintrude I walk my dogs twice a day, every day, except Sundays when hubby is supposed to do morning walk while I'm out running. Routes vary from relatively flat to hilly.

Before I started running, walking the dogs was the only exercise I took and I reckon my CV fitness was better than expected because of it.

I reckon it counts even if only as recovery or 'easy'. I definitely find that if I've had a hard race on Sunday, the Monday morning walk does seem to work out any residual stiffness.