Newbies FIRST MARATHONing in 2011

Hi I'm Rox, I started running in february 2010 originally to loose weight but am now completely hooked! I've completed two half marathons,  a couple of great fell races of 12 & 15 miles and some regular shorter distance races on and off road. I have absolutely no structure to my training i just love running as often as i can over a variety of distances ,speeds and terrains.  I've set myself a personal goal of completeing a marathon in Spring 2011, i know that this is a major step from what i've done so far and where i'm at right now - approx 25 miles per week. Its going to need some proper structured training if i'm going to a) start the race in one piece b) finish the race in one piece and anywhere near my target of 4hrs 15mins.

I'd love to chat to anyone eIse out there aiming for their first marathon in 2011 and exchange apprehensions and thoughts on training and working towards this shared goal! image

have you entered yet? if so where? are you following a plan? whats your target time? and a million other questions.......!!!

Running Rox

Comments

• RR, I can't pm you as you've got your pm facility turned off, otherwise I would.  But great idea for a thread and this is what I was trying to explain and suggest to you the other day.  I hope that you get a lot of people coming on here and joining in.

I was hoping to do my first one last week at Luton, but couldn't, so I'd decided to do one anyhow, just running around my local area, the weekend before Christmas when I had enough time to myself.  I had marked out my route, 10m lap in one direction, 10m back, which would take me, at 20m to my front door.  I was going to use it as a water station, leaving spare bottles and Shot Bloks which I'd then pick up for the final 6m, as I have a route that I use regularly.  My target time would be around 4hr 30, but I'm hoping to be able to improve on that.  Training has been hard lately, but I've just been diagnosed with asthma, which I think was the cause of the problems, so all training is off for the moment and my A********  Marathon will have to be put back into January.

I run about 50m a week, every day except Saturday, for my weekly runs, I get up at 5am in the morning, as that's the only time I can do it.  Sundays are my LSRs.  I do HR training, which I find works well for me.

I'm looking for spring marathons, but due to family commitments, I'm very limited on dates and locations - but I prefer to support small, local races anyhow.

• Hi Jeepers - thanks for ur post! i had a good rootle around and couldn't find a thread in recent use aimed at first timers so rather than hijack an older one i thought i'd take the bull by the horns and start one. Do you know of a sub 4:30 thread that i could join as well? I seem to be able to find sub 4 & 3:30 etc etc i'm sure there must be one but i was getting dizzy looking!!

Wow ur plan to do ur own marathon route from ur own front door shows serious commitment to completing one, it would take some real grit & drive to get around in target time without the andrenaline buzz of race day so would be twice the accomplishment i reckon!!

It must be frustrating for u to have been diagnosed with asthma but on  the plus side if you've been struggling for some time hopefully now with the correct med plan you'll be able to move forwards all the stronger. I  had asthma quite badly up to my late teens by which time i'd grown out of it to a certain extent, it only flaired up if i got a cold etc When i started running in Feb though it was my nemesis, i had to double dose inhalers before going out, whilst out several times and when i got back and still i'd get to the point where i couldn't get enough air in so would be wretching which was NOT attractive!!! A friend trained with me up to my  first half M, she started fine but as we started trying to pick up our pace she seemed to be struggling with running generally more and more, i thought i recognised the signs and suggested she see her GP who said she had exercise-induced asthma which is quite common apparently - as soon as she started using inhalers ahead of running she felt like a different woman... so i've no doubt you're gonna be firing on all cylinders again really soon!!

Have you got any spring mara's in mind? I'm stuck between two - Taunton 3rd April (v v local, small event) or making the trek to Brighton on 10th April for the atmosphere. I love my local events but am gonna need all the adrenaline in the known universe to get me round!!

• Brighton's already closed, I looked, the only places are charity and I'm not prepared to pay for those.  I did my charity run in the GSR last year - never again - hate the crowds!

There are two threads that people use:

shades marathon training

and

The 2010 Marathon Thread

so you could post on there too if you wanted.

It would be interesting to have a time-specific thread, there may be some around, I'm not sure, if there are, then they'll be under "hot threads".

I haven't managed to find a local race that suits me time-wise, think the earliest is May! 

The asthma is annoying, looks like it was triggered by an infection that I picked up a few weeks ago.  But it's a relief to know that that was the reason for my struggling, I kept thinking that I was going backwards, very rapidly in training, for no apparent reason.  I'd done a 20m quite easily a few weeks before, yet last week, could hardly make it out of the front door.  Anyhow, quiet week or two to see how I get on, managed to walk around the shops for an hour without feeling too bad, so things are improving image.

A couple of friends have offered to run part of the way with me, which will be nice, but I'm quite happy running on my own. 

Come on all those of you lurking, start posting!

• Hiya Jeepers - thanks for the pointers to those two! I've also found a sub 4:30 on the VLM thread now - they're a lovely bunch! sub 4:30 or thereabouts

Am glad to hear ur on the mend again, sounds as if you really took a hammering from that infection. Do you think you will get back on track for your solo marathon attempt? My neighbour was just saying that Gloucester is in january (haven't had a chance to look ths up and verify!) not sure where you are and what radius you can travel in though....?

• Hi to those dropping by..... please drop a post!

It would be nice to hear who's entered what as their first marathon goal or what races people are considering signing up for..........?

what's motivated you to embark on a marathon?!

• Hi there I'm planning my first marathon in 2011. Was a bit reluctant to post on your thread because I am MUCH slower than you (and probably a lot older too) but after your invitation here goes...

I  returned to running in April after a six month hiatus for major surgery so it's been a long haul. I'm also asthmatic and don't find it causes any problems as long as it's well contolled. In fact, if anything, running has improved it. I take the usual precautions - take inhaler, cover mouth with a Buff if very cold (I find changes in temp set it off) avoid catching colds, if I can, as they always go straight to my chest. You'll probably find once it's controlled it won't cause too many problems although sometimes it can be a bit of trail and error finding the right medication or combination of medications that work for you (e.g ventolin, the standard blue inhaler, does nothing for me at all so I use double strength Symbicort.

Anyway aims for 2011

• Lose a few pounds
    • Get faster
    • Shakespere half in May 
    • Fingers firmly crossed if I can save enough pennies - New York in November on my 50th birthday (because it's actually on my 50th, it's in New York and even slow as I am I know I won't be last by a looong way LOL.
  • Hi Newbies,

I am a 45 year old man who only took up running in May this year. My Mum sadly died of Cancer 2 years ago so I decided to raise money for Cancer Research in her name by running a marathon. I am fairly fit but not built for long distance running at all. I am built more like a rugby player than a runner so training and running a fast marathon was always going to be tough.

On Saturday 11th December 2010 after 6 months of training and over 750 training miles I ran in my first marathon. It was very hard work. At times my body felt like stopping but my stubborness and determination carried me through. I managed to complete my first marathon in one piece and despite the pain I loved it and feel on such a high. Not just through raising money for a good cause but on a personal level for proving that a non-runner could get off the couch and in under 6 months complete a marathon.

What tips could I give you? Train hard and stay focused this is important because the more miles you put in while training the greater benefits you will get on race day. Marathon running is lonely but keep thinking of your goal and every step you take in training will bring that goal closer. Fitness is only a part of what you need to finish the race. Get your head in order, if you can pschologically focus on running and forget the pain you will be halfway there. For me the last 8 miles were the worst my legs were tired, my feet ached, my back was shouting at me to stop but somehow i kept on. People told me that when you hit the wall you just have to carry on and you will come out the other side. It is true there are points when you feel another 100 metres would be impossible let alone the 6,7 or 8 miles you have left. Keep going and I promise in 10 or 15 minutes you will feel better and can run on. The pain may return but it will go again and before you know it you will be at the finish line with a medal round your neck.

Keep hydrated before and during the race and take fluid and energy gels with you. Don't rely on the water stations they might have everything you need when you need it but then they might not. Dress for the weather. If it is cold wear layers rather than thicker tops because then at least if you warm up you can take a layer off as you run and either disgard it at a water station or tie it round your waist. You should aim to be feeling slightly colder than you would like at the start of the race because once you start running you will soon warm up. Aside from running training try some sit ups or anything to strengthen your lower back as you will feel pain there later in the race. For my feet I wore a pair of anti-blister running socks with a larger ordinary pair of running socks over the top. On my toes where I had previously experienced blisters in training I applied plasters making sure they were comfortable. I think this helped because i have no blisters only one black toenail which is a small price to pay.

As for training plans I used a book called The Nin-Runner's Marathon Trainer by David Whitsett which is an excellent book for new runners with limited time who want to run a marathon but not put in hours and hours on training runs. The book is good because it gives you the physical preparation and also the mental techniques which will get you through those last few miles.

Remember I am a slightly overweight 45, year old man with a young family and not much spare time. If I can do this then so can you. The training and the marathon itself are hard it wouldn't be a marathon if it wasn't hard but looking back every second was worth it. Only two days after my run I feel fine and I am already thinking what shall i do next.

Good luck to you all.

• Hey K Welcome & thanks for posting!! Time & age are utterly irrelevant here, trust me.... We're hoping to add the Marathon letters after our name!! What an fab goal to have in mind for your 50th it sounds perfect and i'm v jealous but crossing my fingers you save the pennies too - it would be an experience of a lifetime wouldn't it.....

Fairplay to you for making the comeback from that surgery - one of my team had that op earlier this year so i know it must have been a challengestarting again!!  The Shakespeare route looks great being in such a historic location, I'm contemplating signing up to the marathon there - the only thing that is putting me off is that its laps of the same route and i'd prefer an a-b or out and back but i really could be tempted! sounds like a great plan for a half though .... had you been doing half's before you had the op? whats your target do you think for May? What tictacs are you using for building on your speed?

• K, you're not older than me, you're younger, so no worries on that score!

Thanks for the info re asthma, I'm breathless just typing this, so image but I'm sure it will get better - some day!

Good luck with your training, one thing that I would  say is that if you can get some miles in before starting the marathon, then I think that that would help.  A lot of people go from 0 - marathon miles and it's asking quite a lot.  If you're going for NY, then you'll have plenty of time and with the HM in the middle, you should do really well.

FWIW, I would concentrate on building up a good weekly  base if you can, the minimum would need to be around 25 - 30m (is that feasible?) then when you're comfortable doing that, look at marathon training, but possibly not starting at the very beginning.  I know that a lot of bods on here have adopted that approach and it works well for them, avoiding the niggles that sometimes come with going in cold.

Well, that was the advice given to me and I've followed that, leaving my first marathon until now.  I've got a good base of miles and I know that I can comfortably do 20m, then it's only another 6m after thatimage. I've found that HR training works well for me, it might be something to look at as if you're coming back after injury, you need to be careful and HR training works on the basis of more, slower miles, not depleting glycogen stores.  I've had major foot surgery and was being conservative, not wishing to incur further injury, so was only running about 30m (3 / 4 days) per week, but by doing HR training, I've been able to increase mileage and run 6 days without (touch woodimage) any problems.

• Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome, encouragement and tips.

Definately need to build more of a base Jeepers, at the moment I'm only running about 15miles a week tops. I keep thinking next November is ages away but I really do need to get my arse into gear. I must admit reading this and Peter's thread have really inspired me to get on with it. Going to sort out my diary and training plan over Christmas and work out when I can get those extra miles in. The lighter mornings will help when we get them (can't abide the dreadmill).

I use an HRM anyway so will take a look at HR training.

Rox I'd been doing 10 milers until I was forced to stop but never managed to get further - mainly through lack of goals and focus. I've been doing just some simple fartlek so far but contemplating joining track sessions that our running club do (again need more focus). I'm a bit Run Fat Boy Run (or rather girl) I need someone behind me with a spatula yelling at me to get a move on.

Good luck with the training Rox, hope the asthma calms down soon Jeepers (sometimes takes me a couple of weeks to get it back under control if mines gone a bit off the wall). Peter thanks for your tips will reply on your other thread, enjoy your R and R and good luck with your next  venture.

• Hey folks!

I'll be running my first marathon in 2011. I have chosen my home city marathon -Edinburgh.

Running a marathon is something I have always wanted to do. I get quite emotional watching the london marathon and hearing all the great personal stories that go alongside this. I got into running 5 years ago but for some reason I never stuck at it and haven't run in about 4 years. That was a big mistake. I started running again in October and I am absolutely loving it, I'd forgotton what a buzz you get from it. I'm up to 10km now, so pretty pleased with my progress, although the snow has got in a way a bit of the training. I'm just trying to build up the miles slowly and get used to running again before the real hard work begins next year.

It will be good to get inspiration from others going through the same thing on here. Although my main inspiration is my sister. She suffers really badly from M.E and she is so brave. I'm going to run it for an ME chairty. I haven't told her yet. In fact I've only told one person so far. I was waiting to see how my initial training went before i made it public.

I hope you can save the pennies K - NYC would be amazing

• Hi all,

I'm running my first marathon in April and have entered a half marathon at the end of January as part of my training...

I have never really run any real distances before but my husband has done 6 halves and 3 marathons so I thought I would jump on the band wagon! I've been running 4 times a week since September and feel really good for it...I ran 7.5 miles on Sunday which is the longest distance I've done although I had to stop a couple of times due to really bad ice/snow on the pavements.

As my training has progressed, running has become such a big part of my life and I really love the feeling of starting the day with a run.  I know that completing the marathon will be such a great feeling and I can't wait!

At the moment, I'm more apprehensive about the half marathon - I dind't realise when I entered but I think its quite a competitive course and lots of the runners last year seemed to do it in a really quick time! There is a time limit on it and if you don't finish in 2hours 45mins, the marshalls pick you up and drive you to the finish line! I just hope I'm quick enough that this doesn't happen!

Anyhow, good luck to all those who are training/running...I'm sure we can all keep each other going through those long, cold (although hopefully not too snowy & icy!!) winter days!

• Peter - thanks so much for dropping by and sharing this experience, its given me a real insight into whats ahead, i felt like i was there with ur blisters and black nail reading that then!! You've given me real food for thought and a bucket of inspiration to shake off the fear thats set in from reading alot of threads on massive mileage and massive frequency being the only way to enter into marathon training. I know that would be the ideal approach point to be at with a spring mara in mind but i'm not there but still desperately want to do this so thank you once again for the reminder that people from all walks and rund of life embark on this journey!!

I'm gonna start on the back exercises straight away as on my long runs its always my back that tells me im tired so i already know thats going to be a major factor in my "wall"!!

I wish you a fab r&r time revelling in your achievement and keep us posted on what you book up next!! Rox

• Rox I have problems with my back and see a sports pysio every so often for massage and ultra sound treatment. She recommends pilates for strengthening the core and protecting your back, it's made a huge difference to controlling my back pain and my general running style etc.
  • K - sounds like you're really getting in the zone sounding determined to plan out the training! As Jeepers says there seems that theres no doubt that building on the base mileage and long runs is crucial but i can definately definately recommend mixing up the shorter speed sessions for giving you a real confidence boost as this seems to show real results really quickly which can't fail but keep you more positive! I signed up to a five mile series that started in sept and have had that and the marathon as simultaeneous targets - that way i get to play mind games with myself to keep me going with all the different training: i know the more long runs i put in the easier the shorter distances feel and the more fast shorter races / sessions i put in the more and more comfortable i feel on my LSR's....... yep definately my top tip (not that i know anything about anything!!) mix it up and feel the results mentally & physically!

• Freaky we posted simultaneously.

I agree I've noticed my LSRs seem much easier when I've done I faster session in the week and week by week I'm getting a little faster. I used to cross train during the week but that's fallen by the way side recently so will so will pick that up again too.

• Hiya Casslass & Smurph and welcome!! This is great, i'm loving chatting to people all heading in the same direction, thanks for posting! image 

Casslass - you should be pleased with your progress!! thats a quantum leap in a really short time and its gonna pay off when you start telling people your plan and seeing the admiration on their faces let alone what it might feel like to cross the line at Edinburgh! Jeepers can offer some great advice about buidling up that mileage,  i think you and i are both gonna have to be warey of incurring injuries as we are starting from a less than ideal base mileage! Peter has suggested a book that sounds like it might have some top tips and K and I are mulling over methods of improving speed so I hope we can all help each other out here!

Smurph - it's seriously addictive once you start int'it!! i never in a million years would have ever believed i'd make a runner, madness!! You're gonna have your very own coach in your husband keeping you on track then, i'm sure this will be a great help 97% of the time but there might be the odd 3% where you want to push him off the pavement (at least thats what my husband says he wants to do to me when i'm giving him "advice"!!!!). I reckon the competitive edge to the half you've entered is gonna be a real bonus to your training, having it in the back of your head that this is a race for "proper" runners will keep you focused pushing towards that target time, then when you get there you'll realise that their all perfectly "normal" runners after all and you'll be running with loads of others at your pace and you'll discover you are infact a proper normal runner!! Keep us posted on how that mileage is building up &  Good luck!  Rox

• K - spooky!!! great pointer re the sports physio & pilates, thanks... I know my core strength is hindering my progression now so i've gotta get to grips with the cross training too, its hard though isn't it t give the cross training the same focus as the running? the running always feel more important but i know it isn't, just have to put that into action!!   
  • Yeah the low base millage might be a problem - i really hope we dont get injuries.

I want a massage now you folks are talking about it! Not coz my back is sore, it would just be so nice and relaxing,lol!

I've already bought the book Peter was talking about, i was chatting to him about it on another thread.I've read chapter 1 and then the other chapters relate to specific training weeks so I'll read them in the New Year.

That will be great to run with your husband Smurph, it will be nice to share a common goal. I'll need to find myself a hunk to run alongside!

• Hi Smurph21 and Casslass, sorry forgot to say hi to you.

@ Casslass - I always get emotional when I watch the London Marathon I always feel such a twit glad to know I'm not the only one. I wouldn't be so sure about the sports massage being relaxing. My physio does something called illiotibial band stripping on my leg when my hips are tight and after a recent knee problem. She works deep into the soft tissue of my outer thigh and I can honestly say it's almost more painful than child birth (if you watched the peogram about Eddie Izzard running round the UK it's what he had done and it made him cry like a girl LOL) - it's very, very effective though even if it does leave your legs black and blue for a week.

@Smurph21 - I also have my hubby as trainer - it's a mixed blessing I find (I've definately wanted to push him off a pavement a few times image). He's pretty nippy and a foot and nearly a foot and a half taller than me (6' 4" to my 5'!) so he can walk at my running speed which is a bit depressing but he is so supportive, particularly on long runs. We run across county so it's nice to know I'm not on my own too. My main problem is I get really snappy with him when my blood sugar drops so by then end of a long run I'm ready to gouge his eyes out - he knows the signs now and carries jelly babies or a sports gel image.  Good luck with the half in January make sure you build up a solid base of long runs. I ran the GSR (10 miles) in October I'd been running consistently and built up to it but had only run 10 miles twice in training and I found I flagged towards the end which I was suprised about. One thought I had was my long runs are a mix of trail and road and very hilly where as the GSR was pancake flat but all on road so I think it was the fact I was running on hard tarmac for the whole 10 miles that was part of the problem when I'm used to a softer surface - a good arguement for doing plenty of training on the surface you'll be running on. I went out too fast which was the other problem - must pay more attention to my Garmin.

I do a fair bit of race marshalling for our running club, if they're good they'll give you loads of support and encouragement to get you through.

Slightly fed up with the ice now, I run on ungritted roads to get to the footpaths and they are lethal I'm paranoid I'm going to slip and get injured.

Sorry bit of a long post. Happy running everyone.

k

ps just hit Amazon with an order for some running books for Christmas for me (shall give one each to daughter and hubby, who both run, as well then I can read them too image)

• Hello everyone!

K - I completely agree with the ice situation - I've just been out and done 5 miles but its started raining and the water on top of the ice on the pavements has made it lethal...I ran on the roads for part of the way but only until I hit the country roads where the cars are all going 60mph!!

Rox- I completely agree - running is so addictive now.  i used to be a real couch potato but now, if I don't get out at least 4 times a week, I get so restless! If someone had told me 6 months ago I'd be doing this much now, I'd never have believed them!  I really hope I can keep up with those 'real runners' in the half in Jan!! Am going to try for 10 miles this weeked (weather permitting) and then hit 12 miles the first week in Jan before tapering...I think!

As for training with the hubby, well it is definately a double edged sword - he is great to ask for advice about running general but as for training with him - I hate it!! He is so much quicker than me so I find I either try and keep up with him (which means I burn out really quickly!) or he tries to run at my pace and literally runs rings round me without breaking a weat - very disheartening!  Now, I tend to run in the morning (he isn't an early riser) so tend to go solo which I love - its nice to have some time to myself before the world wakes up!

Have any of you been out today yet? Need to get the runs in before all that snow arrives again!! image

• Pilates is great, I used it a lot to strengthen core, I went to local Pilates classes at first, but they were expensive and we never seemed to move on, so I bought this and did the exercises at home.

I also do a lot of stretching, I had really bad PF when I first started running, typical beginner's mistake, too many miles too quickly with no stretching.  I built up a routine for all over stretching, but particularly, calves and feet.  The Inverted V stretch is great for hammies, calves and back all in one. 

I also wear orthotics permanently.  I'm tall and had back problems all my life.  A few years ago, I ruptured tendons in my feet and had to undergo surgery.  When that was over, I was prescribed orthotics which corrected my posture and since then, I've been pain free. 

I do think that it's important to build up a good base of mileage, but as someone said, mixing in speed.  My weekly runs include LSR (at slowest speed), tempo sessions (number of repetitions of shorter bursts of speed with recovery,) at full effort, almost gut-busting, and then steadies which are shorter than LSRs, but run at a faster and consistent pace.

I really like HR training, I got into it last year following the January challenge and for whatever reasons, make more progress on that than going by pace alone.  I was recommended the John L Parker Jnr book, "Heart monitor training for the Compleat Idiot".

• Hi guys!  Hope it' s ok to join in... I'm doing my first mara in April in Madrid.  It's the same day as London but much easier to get into and I have friends living there who will offer accomodation and support which is why I chose it.  I've only been running properly since March.  Did my first half in September and have two more halves planned before April (Watford in Feb and Reading in March).  So busy start of the year for meimage

I've managed to get my LSR up to 16 miles and probably do about 35miles on average per week.  Also run with a running club doing a track session and a 6 mile tempo session each week.  I think I have a good base but I'm a bit worried about the hills in Madrid... apparently the last 6 miles is basically up the hill... can't quite imagine it. image

• Hi all.

I first started running about 5 years but always seemed to keep it up for a couple of months and then not go for up to year! This year I entered the Cardiff Half Marathon and it really gave me that incentive to keep it going and I started running 1-3 times a week from July before doing the Half Marathon in October. I've since done a 10K and have recently started a 20 week beginners schedule for the Great Welsh Marathon in Llanelli in April.

I'm pretty much bang on schedule at the moment running 4 times a week doing 15-18 miles per week for the first 3 weeks.  From next week it steps up a gear and moves onto 20-25 and eventually 25-30 mile weeks. Christmas period is going to be tough but I've planned ahead and am going to try my best to stick to the schedule.

Good luck with the training everyone and thanks for the tips so far. I’ll definitely be checking this thread again very soon.
  • Hi All,

My mind seems to be making the first tentative steps toward a marathon on it's own. I appear to have had no real choice in the matter and slowly I am beginning to think "You know... I'd love to give it a shot!" 

Reading the stories here isn't helping! 

Last January I gave up a 30 a day cigarette habit and began the C25K and now I run about 20m a week (2 fast... ish 3.5m, one LSR of 8m and one 5 mile hilly). I never thought I'd make a runner and although I'm slower than a slow thing, I do love it. I've never entered a race and always said I ran just for fitness but....image

I'll follow this thread with interest. You never know, I might find myself signed up.

• Hi everyone

I wanted to complete a marathon before I was 40 and was hoping to do this years Chicago (I have family out there) but.....sciatica struck me down for a good six months (first time, ever) so.....I am slowly working my miles back up. This time I decided I would put a load of marathons in a hat and pull one out for next year. I got the Loch Ness marathon!! (Three times!!) so I am being true to my word and registered as soon as it opened......a hard first one and I can't quite believe what I am planning on doing but I am giving myself plenty of time to train. I am also doing yoga and pilates to try and stop my sciatica from coming back and strengthen my lower back.

Good luck everyone!!

• Welcome one and all.

Smurph take care not to make too big a jump in milage all at once believe me I speak from bitter experience - 10% per week increase with a step back week every few weeks is recommended.

Hi Zoe sciatica is, literally (or can be) a pain in the bum. My magic physio and pilates keeps mine under control.

Go on Gazagirl you know you want to.

• Just back from a long drive with my work and made the mistake of sitting down before going out for a run. It's still too icy to run outside in the evenings and I have almost cancelled tonights running effort. But just read this thread and I'm just about to pack me gym bag up and head to the local gym. I know the treadmill is a bit rubbish, but at least it'll get me off the couch and keep me to my big plan!

cheers guys!

Welcome to everyone who is just as mad as me for signing thereselves up for the big M.

• Urgh urgh urgh blurrrr grrrr urrrrgghhhh..... I did the dreadmill tonight!!!!! How can something be so bloomin DULL?!?!??! why does 3 minutes feel like 3 and a half months and 9 minute miles feel like a speed only made for springbok?! I don't get it.... shouldn't the fact that the floor is moving making it easier?!??! Rant over...........I got home mega late tonight and my husband banned me from going out so i dusted off the treadmill (bless it, it's very retro with walnut panels and everything!!) and decided to put do ten minutes warm up then 30 HARD minutes doing intervals with an 8 % incline thrown in for good measure. Am feeling quite magnanimous that i feel like i had a good work out AND more importantly i didn't actually die from boredom. an achievement me thinks!!!

Casslass - way to go you for not caving to the lure of the sofa and hitting the gym! i hope you have a less soul destroying relationship with the dreadmill than me!!

Zoe H - welcome & thanks for joining us! I love the fact you tried to beat the hat three times - hilarious!!! Fairplay to you for movig the marathon goal on a few months and not abandoning it all together, i hope you sty on top of the sciatica. I think i might try this names out a hat game to determine which marathon its gonna be, thanks for the idea!

Gazagirl - hahahha! Go on do it!! There's no turning back after a race mind, you enter into this whole new competitive era... not with other people, its entirely with yourself and no-one else!! The world of PB's!! keep us posted where your mind takes you (with or without consent!!) oh and a massive congrats for kicking the fags and swopping to running... that's a massive turnaround!

Ledgend777 - Ooooooo thegreat welsh sounds amazing, is it full yet? i might add it to my "hat"..... If you can stick to that plan over xmas you're going to be well proud of yourself.... go on, we reckon you can do it!!

Mon 77 - Welcome and of course it's ok to join in! wow Madrid in April sounds fab too... that might go in the hat as well!! You've come a really long way since march and have a really enviable training base going on. Just think that last hill section will be the bit that gives your "marathon tale" extra gravitous when you're regalling the tale to anyone who will listen afterwards......" and the last 6 miles were up hill!" yep that's definately impressive! Do you have hills / motorway or railway bridges you can do hill training on? Failing that definately hit the dreadmill at the gym to get some hills in - they're a mental challenge every bit as much as a physical one. Wishing you the best of luck an keep us posted!

• Jeepers - youve really been through the mill health / injury wise haven't you, its inspiring that you are training at the level you are after that! I haven't tried HR training at all, is it complicated? I think i might need to upgrade my garmin for that as mines virtually an antique off of ebay!

Smurph - you are a "real" runner - its a state of mind! and anyone who's out running on rain on ice in this weather definately has that state of mind!!!

K - you cracked me up with the risk of gouging eyes out statement!! My husband has just started training with me, i am revelling in the fact that i can outrun him for at least the next 48hours, after which i will be well and truly into eye gouging territory!!! Top tip about the tarmac definately taking its toll if LSR's have been on mixed terrain - i can vouch for this. Oh and a cunning plan about the books!

Casslass - let me know how the book goes! I think you should book a sports massage AND a nice pleasant holistic massage to help you recover from the sports one!!

I might be sounding a bit vague about which marathon i'm planning on... that's because i'm holding my breath and crossing everything till thursday when the results of the RW Asics Super Six competition are announced. I applied about a month ago for this competition and was stunned to make it to the longlist and from there to the final in the sub 4:15 category. The winners get full pro support and coaching from Asics and entry into the Paris marathon in April! The two other finalists in my group are both very worthy winners so i'm not holding out a lot of hope but being immensely superstitious i refuse to enter an alternative tilll friday!! I'd hoped on Brighton but its closed now so i'm accummulating a list to put in the hat".... whatever the outcome of the competition, i will be training for a marathon in the spring and i'm so glad to have already found so many others heading towards the same goal!