Sub 3h15

Comments

• Band B - the test 20 last campaign was 10 @7.33,10 @6.33. So MP worked out 6.50 or so. Either the test isn't really exactly representative of doing a full race eyeballs out or the terrain at LN made enough difference to account for those 17 or so seconds per mile.

Is today the big day for the SSx then ???

• Belated good luck to KR and Jane.

B&B - Cracking mid week long run, and you were commenting on my pace.image

Rest day for me today, was sorely tempted to go out for a few miles but resisted.

• TR - Nearly 20% improvement overall's not to be sniffed at. I find swimming very dull but should probably get back into the pool at some point. Over 25 minutes you'd be about 500metres ahead of me. Re cycling: our thread ex-elite, Keir says cycling's just steady TiTS but it's hard to reach your potential in triathlon if you can't dedicate all your time to it.

Good restraint shown there, Barry

FW - So 6:33 was the plan, had the mara been flat? I'd like to think the hills added 17 secs per mile but I have it in the back of my mind that those early downhills made up for it in my case. Definitely undulating though, which doesn't make for an easy run.

Does the lack of word from Jane and KR mean they've been informed but aren't allowed out to play?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Snowing again here in South Kent. Got almost an inch in the last hour. Luckily an easier few days planned whilst I undertake round 1 of the Xmas binge.

I would like to say that after my last message revealing some personal details that I have been swamped with PMs. However thank you my fellow Chuckle Bro for ensuring that I at least received 1 message!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

B+B - swimming is boring, but to do it right takes lots of concentration for me at the mo. The dream* is to get to my bike whilst more than half of the bikes are still in Transition. My cycling is defo getting better, my main limiter is still muscular endurance, meaning I still cant pedal hard enough to damage myself aerobically, which on the plus side means I always motor the run leg.

* I also told my kids that I would AG podium one day in one of the NF 1/2 IMs. Reckon it could happen when I get to V45 (in 2012).

• still no news yet on the SS - either way?

Will have to wait till tomorrow now.

• Hi All

8 miles today at 8.10 (slow i know ... had to keep stopping to throw sticks for my dog)

No news yet (i thought we would have been told by now actually. KR you're not keeping the good news quiet are you? ) Either way i will be happy so good luck KR. I'm pleased i entered as i got some nice new kit sent to me this am and also v pleased to have found this thread as i now feel i have the tools to chip away at my time so happy days

snow now in central london although it wont lie ...
  • 8 miles for me this evening. Discovered a new route that I'm christening 'The hill run of death up to Guildford Cathedral'. Club leader chap dragged all our backsides up there.

1st mile flat, 4 miles up hill with short spells of flat then three miles back down hill. Av. 7:32 so good solid run, feeling very tired now.

Looking forward to first xmas binge tomorrow and just chilling out! Trying to snow here but nothing really yet.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Jane - The SSX is a bit of a curse really. I am not gutted that I didn't get past the initial stage as there is a lot of pressure on you to perform. Certainly it seems the faster you are, the more people have views and opinions about what you should be doing. It is a great opportunity and one that most of us would gladly jump at, but there are certainly down sides which I don't think become apparent to us outsiders.

• Blisters and beer wrote (see)
    FW - So 6:33 was the plan, had the mara been flat? I'd like to think the hills added 17 secs per mile but I have it in the back of my mind that those early downhills made up for it in my case. Definitely undulating though, which doesn't make for an easy run.

The workout is designed to give some confidence and also more information rather than use the output as a definite.  It's use as a predictor has to be used in conjunction with someone's conversion from shorter distances imo (their personal stamina index for want of a better term).  So if someone has a sterling conversion they can certainly consider 6:33 all the way as realistic as a result of the workout.  If someone doesn't convert quite as well you will have moderate the pace to a more realistic goal pace. 

If I remember correctly FW wasn't all out on this run.  If he had been all out and not managed 6:35's, and taking into account his previous conversions, it would have told us pretty definitively that 6:45 - 6:50 miles were out of the question. You have to be a bit careful because this type of thing is either a confidence destroyer or confidence giver.  FW would have averaged 6:59 for 20 miles in this - a few more weeks training and 26.2m at 6:53 with a taper feels very, very doable.

This is a good workout for a c. 3hr marathoner - you could probably make it more difficult for a 4 hr marathoner and easier for a 2:30 marathoner for example.  

• Kier - totally agree. I thought i would be totally gutted if i didn't win but realise that there is a lot of pressure to perform. Don't get me wrong - i'm happy with pressure but rather it was pressure put on me by me if you know what i mean. That is the manageable kind.
  • Moraghan wrote (see)
    The workout is designed to give some confidence and also more information rather than use the output as a definite.  It's use as a predictor has to be used in conjunction with someone's conversion from shorter distances imo (their personal stamina index for want of a better term).  So if someone has a sterling conversion they can certainly consider 6:33 all the way as realistic as a result of the workout.  If someone doesn't convert quite as well you will have moderate the pace to a more realistic goal pace.
    Which is why it's done 8 weeks out from the mara. 5/6 more weeks training (depending on taper length) with adjusted pace and you know exactly where you are. I get it, thanks.
  • 7.3 very slow miles tonight with a couple of ladies who are just starting out on their marathon training. Cold and a few flurries of snow, but we were going just fast enough to stay warm.
  • jane and KR - thank goodness you have both posted that you haven't heard.  i was beginning to talk myself into the idea that they'd told the winners and told them to keep quiet again.  I even took my phone on our club Christmas run tonight!   *creeps off back to a slower thread*
  • jane326 wrote (see)
    Hi All 8 miles today at 8.10 (slow i know ... had to keep stopping to throw sticks for my dog) No news yet (i thought we would have been told by now actually. KR you're not keeping the good news quiet are you? ) Either way i will be happy so good luck KR. I'm pleased i entered as i got some nice new kit sent to me this am and also v pleased to have found this thread as i now feel i have the tools to chip away at my time so happy days snow now in central london although it wont lie ...

Hi Jane - like wise, I'm pleased I entered and hope whoever gets picked (in all the categories) does well and to the best of their ability. I know there will be a lot of pressure both in the training and also in the forum, but I guess we knew that before we entered given the past SS competitions.

Hi USB, I thought when I got the shirt & magazine this morning that it was a softener to say sorry you ain't got through kind if thing?

• I am just in the process of reading back the 8 or so days I have been M.I.A (Cold/Fluey Nonsense + Work hours), blimey, you lot talk a lot, what have I missed?!

Anyways, have just started on the P & D 18 Week plan (upto 55 Miles a week) with a few tweaks here and there to fit in some races/life etc, please could any of you experts care to take a look and see if all is fine, mostly interested in the paces I have set myself, but any other comments feel free!

Excel File I created can be downloaded from here, should be all self explanatory

Many Thanks

• KR - the only deliveries I took yesterday were a box of chocs and an XBox (ssssh, don't tell my son).  Perhaps that is a good omen image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Wow Steve that is what I call a spreadsheet!  I will study it later when when I have a free hour! I've been meaning to do a conversion chart for minutes per mile to kilometers per hour for the treadmill but I see you have it there. 
  •  good luck again to the hopeful SS peeps...let us all know ASAP....

• B&B - cracking run mate.

Ormeski - hill run of death? I'm glad I live miles and miles away from any hills.

Still no news on the Super Six?

I found a knotty lump whilst massaging my calf last night and gave it a good going over, which seemed to help. So I went out for a 6 mile recovery run this morning around MP+25%. Pleased to report all seems fine. Not sure if I over did the strides on Tuesday or just didn't warm-up or stretch properly. I had a 12M MLR planned for tomorrow, but I'll use and out and back route so I can cut it short if need be. Probably just stick to MP+20% too.

• Right, just read back 10 or so pages, loads of good running and a few newcomers/delurkers! All good!

Using up my holiday days from work so going to be doing DIY and a turbo training x session later and then my first ever recovery run tomorrow! Xcitin stuff!
  • Steve - that chart is quite extraordinary.  Disappointing to see that you aren't planning to go faster than 4.36 m/m on the treadmill though. What happened to speedwork?  image  Good luck in following the plan.
  • knight rider wrote (see)
    jane326 wrote (see)
    Hi All 8 miles today at 8.10 (slow i know ... had to keep stopping to throw sticks for my dog) No news yet (i thought we would have been told by now actually. KR you're not keeping the good news quiet are you? ) Either way i will be happy so good luck KR. I'm pleased i entered as i got some nice new kit sent to me this am and also v pleased to have found this thread as i now feel i have the tools to chip away at my time so happy days snow now in central london although it wont lie ...

Hi Jane - like wise, I'm pleased I entered and hope whoever gets picked (in all the categories) does well and to the best of their ability. I know there will be a lot of pressure both in the training and also in the forum, but I guess we knew that before we entered given the past SS competitions.

Hi USB, I thought when I got the shirt & magazine this morning that it was a softener to say sorry you ain't got through kind if thing?

From memory last year we were rung up late on in the day (like gone 5 p.m) and I'm sure it was a Thursday or Friday when we were contacted. However, everything was earlier last year and this year things look tighter. When does the Paris 16 week plan start? Monday isn't it? So I'd hazard a guess that all applicants will be contacted today to denote if you've been (un)successful with your threads started for you this weekend?
    Again, all just guesswork
  • Keir wrote (see)
    I would like to say that after my last message revealing some personal details that I have been swamped with PMs. However thank you my fellow Chuckle Bro for ensuring that I at least received 1 message!
    Lies, all lies! Well, sort of.

Jane - Throwing sticks for the dog?! Do you have to pay a marathon entry fee for (Alfie?) too?

Steve - That's an impressive bit of spreadsheet work. No wonder you haven't been around for a week. Will have a look at that over the weekend and wait for MM to comment!

Gul - Glad to hear the lumpy leg doesn't seem too bad. These things are only to be expected now as you've made your way back up to 30mpw.

• B&B - If i did he would win. Archie would outrun us all. hell he would outrun haille or meb and easily set a new record image
  • SteveC1975 wrote (see)

I am just in the process of reading back the 8 or so days I have been M.I.A (Cold/Fluey Nonsense + Work hours), blimey, you lot talk a lot, what have I missed?!

Anyways, have just started on the P & D 18 Week plan (upto 55 Miles a week) with a few tweaks here and there to fit in some races/life etc, please could any of you experts care to take a look and see if all is fine, mostly interested in the paces I have set myself, but any other comments feel free!

Excel File I created can be downloaded from here, should be all self explanatory

Many Thanks

Yeah looks great Steve! I can't see anything overly wrong with it and you look to be holding back and hitting the paces already. You've obviously taken on board the 10 + 10 long run to determine what MP could be and then you've got a rest week leading into the HM to test out that PMP. Nice.
    The only thing I'd tweak is the last long run - try and make it a 3hr run where you concentrate on time on feet rather than distance. I did 22 mile in 3h07 this spring as an example.
    Also, don't go any longer than an hour the Sunday before, I was advised by Liz not to go any further.
    The last two weeks you should know what you're going for so try and practice your MP
    6th APril - instead of 3 x 1mile repeats, why not do 3miles at MP?
    The last week try and keep it lighter than you have got. Liz didn't overly agree with the mileage that P&D proscribed in the final 7 days, she thought it too heavy for runners of our standard
    Make Tuesday 30mins max with 4 x 3mins at MP
    Make Weds 30mins easy
    Thurs - nothing
    Fri - 30mins easy
    Sat - 10mins easy
    Sun - sub 3h15 baby yeah! image
  • Taken off the blurb for the Super Six

"You will need to be able to commit to following and completing the RW marathon schedule, and be ready to begin training on December 20."

So yes, I'd guess that phone calls *should* be today as if you're starting training on Monday, you'll need contact with your mentors asap!!!!!!

• I am finding it really hard not knowing what running I will be doing next week.  I have a work meal Monday night and my OCD means I want to plan Monday now image