Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Oh what a shame! I was really rooting for KR and if not then Jane. Ah well, not to worry as we can continue with the sub-3.15 aim on here, eh? Commiserations but onwards and upwards (or rather downwards from 3.15 that is...)

Cheers, B&B and enjoy your snowy pub crawl!
  • Kier and Moraghan ... very funny boys image
  • Commiserations KR and Jane image
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Did the 3.27 pb guy get in for the sub 3 category?
  • KR + Jane - hard luck that really sucks the big one. TBH although you will miss out on the SSX experience you'll get all the advice and support on here without the backbiting and pressure which seemed to go with the competition last year.

Just done 10 'good for the soul' miles in the sun/snow before the staff party this evening for which I will be teetotal!

• jane326 wrote (see)

Hear hear She must have done as i asked over 20,000 people image
    Well, nearly 350 posts in a short time shows you've done your work! Upsydaisy has been on the forum though, as she's posted 58 times.

I've done a little investigating and I think 5 of the selected are new to the RW forum. One hasn't posted for 2 days, one for 3 days, one for 4 days and one for 5 days! This could be interesting. (Or not very interesting at all).

• Keir wrote (see)

No - it was the 3.06 chap - which is a shame I would have loved to have seen the 3.27 guy take on a sub 3.00 (for all the right reasons, of course!)

• Keir wrote (see)
    No - Peter is the guy with a 3h0x to his credit. he seemed to me to be the most likely out of the three to acheive the target imo. The other guy had the right times to convert but they were almost 9 years old and he had 4 kids under 4? Couldn't see that happening myself

"Having been selected from more than 1,100 contenders" Well there's the "London" effect for you. The same quote from last year says: "Having been selected from more than 2,400 contenders"

I guess that answers a few questions about the difference between London and Paris huh?
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Matchstick Man wrote (see)
    knight rider wrote (see)

Good luck to UpsyDaisy in her quest for a Sub 3.15 in her first marathon.

Really? Her first? I know Keir has done it but he's got an extensive endurance background as an ex Elite level cyclist. Has anyone on here gone sub 3h15 in their first ever marathon?

What can I say? Some of us can keep it up longer than others! It was hard at the end though.

Oh dear. I'll go now. image

• B&B - i've come the conclusion its not about the existing community.

A.C - me too. that would have been interesting. i think he could have done it actually
  • You don't count, Keir! And 3 minutes 15 seconds is nothing to be proud of image
  • Matchstick Man wrote (see)
    Has anyone on here gone sub 3h15 in their first ever marathon?

I ran 2:56 but died the sort of death you'd expect a natural 400m / 800m runner to die.

• Yeah, Jane. That was pretty obvious early on, huh? I suppose you can see their point from a marketing point of view but they certainly shouldn't suggest, in future years, that "the candidate should be an active member of the forum", or whatever it was.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)

I ran 2:56 but died the sort of death you'd expect a natural 400m / 800m runner to die.

Bloody hell Moraghan! I guess you sort of know what your talking about then, huh?
  • Moraghan wrote (see)

Not like you didn't have an athletic background though, was it? And I bet you knew what it would entail before you embarked on it and then put the serious miles in.

Show off!

• Moraghan wrote (see)

Slow and horrible I hope? image

Peter Thompson ran the Christchurch 10k at the weekend http://www.christchurch-runners.org.uk/results/xmas10.htm and came in 21st with 36m33s as an unattached runner. Hopefully this bodes very well for his attempt on sub 3. Hopefully he'll join in with Bournemouth C&AC and get some advice off Marigold and go training with Liz Yelling!

• I wouldn't have minded seeing the 3:27 chap having a go (and voted for him for the same reason some others did, no doubt) but Peter Thompson obviously has a very good chance of making sub 3 and is the sensible choice.
  • Blisters and beer wrote (see)
    Not like you didn't have an athletic background though, was it? And I bet you knew what it would entail before you embarked on it and then put the serious miles in.

Show off!

Ha ha.  I was running seriously (training for the mile) before embarking on a 20 week Autumn marathon campaign.  Believe it or not I was forced into it for health reasons.

It was indeed slow and horrible - cramping hamstrings / quads / calves and shins all at the same time with 3 miles to go.

• He's only got to shave off 6 mins though - its too easy image
  • What's your PB for the mara now, Moraghan? And for the mile, for that matter?
  • jane326 wrote (see)
    He's only got to shave off 6 mins though - its too easy image
    In a sense, yes. What it should show is his basic speed 8 days before he embarks on the RW schedule suggests a 2h51 time. I'd like to see him post how he gets on and how he progresses and how good his conversion is. All I can hear is Just Been For A Run's comment from her sub 3 thread that to go sub 3 you really need better times than 1h23 and that a 1h21 HM (for example) is a better indicator.
  • I retired the next day - until 2015 anyway.    

4:23 over the mile, but slightly quicker (relatively) 1500m this summer. 

• Moraghan wrote (see)

I retired the next day - until 2015 anyway.   

That bad, huh?! Your mile's a belter. I'd be happy with 25% slower than that, which is a bit scary.

MM - Don't they generally say, on the sub3 thread, that the conversion should be roughly HM x 2 + 10 mins?

• just back from a run wrote (see)
    BR:
    4 most important lessons;
    1) Have more then a 16 week build up. I think because I had time out after my IM I lost some base fitness. If I had kept the running up I think I would have been in better shape at the start of the 16 weeks.
    2) Everyone has lots of different ideas and methods for training. Have a plan that you have complete confidence in and know why you are doing each and every session...what is the point and what are you going to gain from it- know what pace you should be going. 3) Never underestimate the marathon. You can not cheat it. Aim for well below the marathon predictor times for 10k and 10mile and 20 mile races to hit sub 3.
    4) Have fun in training as it becomes a massive part of your life

Taken off her thread but tbh I think it also counts as much for people aiming at 3h14m59s as 2h59m59s

• The voting doesn't affect the outcome at all.  I'd be amazed if RW even kept a count of the bloody votes.  That's all just for the benefit of marketing, and getting the readers interested.  Mind you, I still voted (for KR) just in case my ill-informed, half-baked theory is a pile of cock.

In any event, I agree with B&B.  This will all prove to be either interesting, or not interesting. 
    Wise words my friend, wise words.

Today's physio news is 'stop whining and start running a bit'. 

• Jane and KR Hard luck. As others have also stated, I also believe it may be for the best. There is enough pressure during a mara campaign without outside pressures being added.

Moraghan A closet marathon runner. I alway knew you loved us really.

Negative side of working away, when home complete lack of work nights out to attend.

Schedule called for 18 miles today. Decided for either 20 progressive or 22 slow for time on feet. Biggest problem, as always, is my negative mind both prior and during the run. Fortunately I managed to give myself a good talking too during the tough 6-11 mile stretch prior to turning around. In the end I managed the best image or worst image of both worlds.  Time on feet and progressive!

Miles 00-10       av   8:26mm     HR  73%   MP +15%
    Miles 10-20       av   8:10mm     HR  75%   MP +12%
    Miles 20-23       av   7:09mm     HR  86%   MP  -01%

Total 23.07 miles in 3:08:00.  

Once I sorted my mind out it all felt very comfortable until approx 18 miles, by which stage I had already decided to add an extra mile and run the last 5km at PMP, but did they feel tough. 

• MM - good find there - I seem to remember JBFAR had a lot of injury. And although she had some good short times and tri background, not much in the way of running endurance which harks back to the point that TR was making recently about this being the biggest issue for those of us to overcome in the 2.55-3.15 bracket.

• Scooby - that is awesome on a cold and snowy Friday
    i am super impressed