ASICS Super Six: Alison (Sub-3:30)

<!--StartFragment-->

Introducing the third member of our ASICS Super Six 2011 … Alison (aka Kryptonite)

Alison will be using our sub-3:30 Garmin-ready schedule as a basis for her training and will be mentored by Steve Smythe directly on this thread (starting December 20).

She’ll be posting her training progress and be receiving advice directly from the ASICS PRO Team experts live on this thread so make sure you check back regularly to find out how she gets on.

Good luck Alison!

<!--EndFragment-->

Comments

• Woop! 

Just leaving the office. Is it a silly idea to cycle home in this?! Nah!

Can't wait to have a look at training plan. Thanks so much to all voters. Am looking forward to your tips and tales.

K

• Home safe! Have to say, roads looked much better than iced-over pavements. People slipping all over the place - but maybe, it's not the ice, but rather cos it's the office party night..

Now making spanish omlette with glass of red in one hand image.

It's the weekend!!!  Right, let me consider this training plan...

• Kryptonite wrote (see)

Now making spanish omlette with glass of red in one hand image.

Probably best to put it down when turning the omlette?

• Just noticed....why is this listed under the Virgin Cockney Marathon when the super 6 are running Paris?

Shouldn't it be listed under 'Training'?

• Congratulations Alison and the best of luck.

I followed the 3:30 schedule and ran 3:29 at my first attempt at that time so it is entirely possible. I am going for somewhere near 3:30 again this year at London so I shall follow your progress with interest.

I'm sorry if you have provided this information before but I can't find it anywhere. Could you let us know your PBs at 10k, HM and marathon and also your current weekly mileage? We love all sorts of data on hereimage

Also, there is a sub 3:30 thread already going for London and it would be lovely if you could pop in and say hello.

• CG - are you some sort of stato freak?

I am image
  • I've got a pocket full of..... Kryptonite.

You do know the song right Alison? Good luck with your training image

• Morning!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in my thread, so am pleasantly surprised to open laptop this morning! Lovely to meet you all.

On PBs:

M: 3:44 (Paris 2010)

HM: 1:46

10km: 47:14

At the mo, I run about 30 miles per week at least. It's a 7 mile run to work (I alternate running and cycling), so for previous marathons I have used my "commute" as my main work week training time, but it's just turned into a plod now. Am going to focus on marathon pace training, and varying my pace. 

Then on a Saturday I'll do maybe 6 or 7, and at least 12 on a Sunday. 

Am wondering what to do today. Looks treacherous. I usually don't let the elements affect my running, and far prefer winter to summer training, but it does not look good outside...

• No - what is the song?! I will google..

I chose Krypto cos it was a nickname from colleagues when I got my first road bike and had a Kryptonite lock, and it's (very) vaguely like my surname!

• Krypto - it's interesting that your mara is probably you're strongest distance judging my your PBs.

Will you be doing any half marathons in your lead up? You should be able to get that down to 1:3x.
  • Mr Spoons - You should see my spreadsheetsimage

Alison - Your times look similiar to mine when I started my 3:30 training plan and I smashed all my PBs that year so you should be in for exciting times. Have you got any trail shoes and a chance to run off road? It may be the best option.

• I would suggest X country in the snow in vest and shorts.

Or a treadmill if you're a wuss image

CG - I too am now an expert in Excel formulas
  • Hi lovely

i knew you'd make it! good luck and let me know how you get on. I gave you my business card on the train right?

• Well done Alison image 

I'll speak to you at work on mondayimage

• Well done Alison.

I'm really looking to following this thread.  image

This will be my first marathon I will be training for. I have been running regularly for about 2 years so I have got some experience but I am sure marathon training will be very challenging.

• Congratulations!

I'll be following your thread with interest as I want to make a similar improvement to my marathon PB, although I'm a bit slower than you. I'd be interested in what training you were doing for Paris - how many runs, what types and any speedwork - so we can see how the training this time compares.

Good luck!

• Alison -What's on the schedule today? Do you have any snow or ice to overcome.

I shall get out for a 6 mile easy run as soon as Mr CG comes home but it is minus 8 out there and falling. I may have tp wear all my kit.

• Well done on getting the place Kryptonite. Also think I'll be following this thread. Starting from a slightly faster pace but feeling the jitters about breaking 3.30, so I'll be interested to see what the coach has you doing. 

Also, I see you're using the garmin ready schedule as the basis for your training? Does that mean RW are letting people mix it up a bit more this year?

• Hi Krypto - what's news?

Have you got your schedule yet? What's the plan for the week? Lot's of detail please! image

• The training plan I'm following is this one: sub-3:30 Garmin-ready schedule

Does that link work? Am such a novice!

So, today was just 4 miles, but I didn't check before I left this morning and thought it was 5, so did 5 miles!

Actually, cycled to work and arrived early - not much other traffic and certainly not many other cyclists about! So by time I arrived, I couldn't feel feet or fingers or much of face!

What better way to sort that than to go running?! So trotted along the river - I think it was the coldest run I've ever been on! Apparently minus 6 - who'd have thought.

It wasn't too bad underfoot along the pavement, although I have to say tricky to get any traction, even on the powder. Also, I found I was running extremely flat-footedly - maybe just a reaction to the snow - anyone else find that?

Day 1, done! Anyone else brave it?!

• A friend just sent me this article about taking on water during marathons - interesting.

• Can I also say that I really hope Tommygun2 "wins" the Other Six. We're in the same office so would be excellent to do some lunchtime runs and compare our Six experiences! image

Please also give him your support!

• Hello Alison / Kryptonite - I am very glad you won, because if you take 14 minutes off your PB it'll be exactly the same as I took off mine when I did a mara earlier this year - from 3.47 to 3.33 (oh so close....). I'm also aiming for sub 3.30, doing VLM this time around.

I'd say from your PBs your HM and 10k times should be a lot quicker based on your mara time, but they will definitely come down when you follow the schedule, particularly with more focus on speed work and quality sessions - not just plodding miles as you said you were doing on your run to work. Like CG my PBs for the shorter events have all improved in the last year, by quite a way in some cases (5 minutes off my 10 mile time), definitely as a result of faster paced runs.

Mr spoons - we really must stop meeting like this or people will talk image

• No support for Tommygun2 - vote Mr Spoons image

Oh - ahem - hi Freemers. Fancy meeting you here. Do you come here often?
  • Hi Alison, Congratulations on making it into the 6, obviously I was gutted not to make it myself but I’m really pleased for you none the less! Going on your flying start you sure deserve it and will do the category proud I’m certain!! Good luck with the training and I look forward to reading how you get on with it all… Fingers for slightly warmer weather in the New Year!!
  • shhh...

< whispering >

It's very quiet on this thread...

• I'll pop up to her floor and tell her that her public are waiting image

• Shout "BOO" very loudly