Male Vets Over 40 Discussion

Comments

• Its hard to train in this cold weather but i have been determined to see it through, meant to do 10 miles on the beach but alas had a head cold and gave up after 6 miles, not going out tomorrow if i feel like this
  • I guess all us oldies (image) had to hibernate over the holidays.

Had a nasty shock when I got on the scales the other day, where did that 5kg come from? The perils of getting old? image

• did my first real session since well before christmas due to flu, felt fine tonight and did a good session, bring it on
  • 57.5 i am the same weight since i was 18 and cannot put weight on, like my beer too but stomach like a washboard
  • I restarted in Feb March 2010 running to rebuild calf muscle strength following an avulsed (ripped away) achilles tendon in June 2009. Operation 2.1/2 days later, plaster for 4 weeks then a ROM boot then physio for 6 months.

I ran a 10k in July 2010 at 50'44 but then stopped for three months due to inflamed right achilles. During which time I had a full bio mechanical assessment and now use orthotics which have transformed the way I walk and run, no more aching knees after running 6 miles.

I restarted in November and ran 23'02 for 5k in December having got lost twice on the club's handicap route round the town.

I am only running once a week on club nights but I want to run twice a week (Sundays) to get a little quicker.

I would like to run sub 45 for 10k and sub 20 for 5k.

I jut have to build up mileage slowly and allow for recovery time.

I need to redefine my objectives as I have pretty much achieved what I set out to do restoring strength to my calf muscle.

• Sounds like a very sensible strategy Jack. Sub 45 10k sounds like a breeze with a bit more work, good luck with the sub-20.

Sawney, I've always been one of the lucky people who tips the scales right on my weight at college without doing anything and really has to hit the beer to put on weight (thanks for the genes dad). Suddenly I'm 5kg heavier having had a pretty reasonable training schedule going for the last few months. Hope I can blame the ludicrous amount of cakes that appear every week at my new workplace and the marathon training will work it's magic.

• glad this has been bumped back.

was absolutey gobsmacked last night. haven't done any speedy stuff for a while due to chrimbo, weather etc but have been running regurlarly over the hols;  snowy off-roaders and such-like.

anyhoos, did my standard 4 x 1 mile interval with 2.30 min rest last night and was aiming for the usual 6.30 ish. times were 6.05, 6.11, 6.15 and 6.07???

how the f*** did that happen? answers on a postcard please, electronic of course...image

• Bit more effort than usual to train in the snow so you've been working harder than you thought DR?
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Well I qualify for the over 40 bit but you're all a bit faster! More modest aims for me too! Target is sub 3:30 Prague marathon this year (3:41 Dublin 2010). Main problem for more training is working offshore 2+ weeks at a time I can't manage much more than 35 mpw time wise. Know what you mean about the extra 5kg 57.5 DoP - basically it's eat and run or not eat these days which really sucks!
  • did 2 x 2 miles with 4 mins recovery last night 6.15 6.07 6.02 5.59
    relaxed running, track tomorrow God willing
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What was trhe idea behind that session Sawney? Starting just above MP and easing up the gears whilst comfortable?
  • good question Steve, i ran at about 85%, was meant to run first two at around 6.15 pace and open up a little on the second two, i just ran free and comfortable in the 2nd set and didnt look at the garmin, trying to keep my form etc, dont know if this was the right thing to do lol
  • Hi 57.5,

maybe. more effort is required in the snow i suppose but i thought to get quick, you need to run quick.

not complaining though.

• track yesterday, 2 sets of 2 x 200 and 2 x 400
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    quality running 2 days out of 3 Sawney?
  • no Stevie, Thurs and Sat, i think i posted on the 7th about the 6th. I am learning not to do stupid things like do two sessions in a row, bring a little bit if gym work into my running and do a long steady distance once a week, ie today, 12 miles, too much beer last night did not help, went around in average of 7 mins 40 today
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    that's still 2 days out of 3 isn't it? image Sounds tough to me though, but you're in good form.
  • i suppose your right mate, i think this is the first time in a while that i have done three quality sessions in a week, usually its tues and thursday, but fitted in a saturday this week as well, yesterdays 200s were 34/35's and the last two 400's were 72 and 73 secs. NOW is three sessions a week too much?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

maybe, but with the times you've been putting on the table who's to say that image

those are some fast 400s. I suppose you're not doing many of each, but still...

• i think running is like buying a car and you listen to advice "dont buy a vw" "dont buy a ford" blah blah in the end you have to decide for yourself. I have made various training mistakes, two sessions in 2 days, 2 races in 4 days, etc etc and i have been pondering about the three sessions a week since yesterday to be honest. Will it make me a better runner, will it make me stronger?? Oh and I forgot to mention StevieG, I played football during the hols, i could hardly walk the next day, Do you still play??/
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it'll work if one or 2 of the sessions are fairly short as it sounds a couple of yours were. If they're block busting 7-8milers maybe not.

I think I had a couple of games last year, but I'm an all or nothing character. I fuel completely into what I do, and truth be known now I don't miss playing, the kind of nasty people you get or any of it. I find in running that you 99% of the time get the result that you deserve, whereas in football I'd perhaps enjoy/ be satisfied say 1 game in 5.

Risk of injury doesn't make it worth it to be honest.

Having said that it leaves me free to watch loads more live games which pleases me.

• i played Saturday at a reasonable standard in Surrey and Northern Alliance in the NE but ended up playing Sunday mornings at the end, its was like the killing fields with people diving in, i do miss playing with my friends in the Highlands but running is my thing now. I will have to think about the three a week and see how i feel
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image  I played at the lowest level, and was always the fittest player on the pitch, so when I arrived at games to find the team boasting about their wanton lifestyles and nights out, or smoking at half time I realised It was a bit of a waste in football at that level. The running is a sport you're 100% rewarded for staying disciplined.

The more my running came on, the less brave I was on the pitch both in tackling and at running with the ball!

• DR,

I would say snow training is a bit like hills. Working different muscles to keep a solid base and balance plus the extra effort involved for a given speed will pay off in extra speed on a regular surface. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

I value my knees and ankles too much to play contact sports these days. Even a game of squash takes me out of running for a couple of recovery days. In comparison running, biking and hiking are pleasantly pain free.

• thought i would re-energise this thread, still training hard and wiser i hope, 2 pb's in a week last month, 10 mile 57.40 and 10k 35.26, looking forward to a few more this year
  • Hi Sawney, forgot I dipped into this thread on the first page and forgot to hang around.

My main goal this year is a sub 30 minute 5 mile. I got close the other year with 30.33, but had a crap year last year and loads of races were in the extreme heat. Got a PB at the end of Feb of 38.38 for 10k and got Close to my HM PB in March with 1.25.50, so an encouraging start to the year.I was traig for amrarthon and I think the overall amount of running helped.

Any advice on cracking a sub 30 time? I think in previous years I have neglected endurance in the summer and I think concentrated more on the speed with the weekly mileage suffering.

• its not far away from 10k so maybe adopting these type of sessions, mate of mine on facebook was advised to do 20 x 300 metres with 100 metres recovery on track, as hard and as fast as you feel but even paced throughout
  • 6 x 1 miles
    2 x 2 miles
    3 x 2 miles
  • Sound like good seesions. What sort of pace/recovery would those be at?
    The 20 x 300m sounds interesting, although I'd probably lose count after 10!
  • maybe 10k pace but just run comfortable, i plan to try it soon, car broken so couldnt get to track today so went to park and ran a speed session no grass
    i did 2 x 2 miles with 4 mins recovery on tuesday and tried to keep it at 10k pace ended up 5.38 5.32 5.33 5.29, this was on road