Lakeside Canal 8 Frimley

It's that time of the year again. I like this one. A nice non-standard distance and with some rather scenic bits in it. There was an excellent pie wagon at the finish line last year, I hope it'll be there again.

Bit concerned about the weather between now and then, and will need to take the day off work, but a definite possibility ...

Lady Wot Jogs, Mr K ... this is in your neck of the woods, I expect you both to be present and correct image

Comments

• Hi Muttley - it certainly is a lovely course, one of my favourites anyway.   I was back runner last year so got a freebie place image.   

It's being run by the timing chip company this year, Race Timing Systems, so i'll have to pay to run at the back next year image.  Although having said that it's the morning after the club annual dinner so i'll have to give it some thought......... image  

• Mr.K will be along in due course. 
  • Err....... um....... when I say Mr.K will be along in due course I do of course mean as soon as the snow has cleared and Gatwick is fully operational again!   image
  • Oh. Is he stranded somewhere? If so, I hope it's warm and exotic ...
  • Egypt......... I'm not saying he's a jinx, but if ever you want a cheap trip abroad book up with Mr.K.  That's twice now within a month he's had a freebie extended stay abroad. image

• Well, maybe someone should have a word with the local sharks image
  • He's back.  I'm sure he'll be along shortly.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Mr K checking in....................well nearly but you get the idea image

I`m getting better - Spain was a 4 day delay & Egypt was 3 days.... image

• Ah, Mr K, there you are ... you up for this one then? I'm intending to but first I need to get some running in and for that to happen I need this bleedin' ice to go away.
  • Signed-up to this at the weekend in the absence of any other 'normal' races, and besides, the canal is a very peaceful place for a run!

Just out of interest (and a question for locals I guess), but have any of you ran in the Run Rampage Event hosted at Bagshot MOD, or the Asics Iceman Trail run  at Deepcut Barracks? They both look more like assault courses than runs.......

I did the Knacker Cracker up on Box Hill on New Years and am looknig to return to a sense of normality, hence the question. image

• Signed up today. I did this 2 years ago and thought it was a cracking run. Grim Challenge this weekend to get through first though
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Always have a splash around in the canal afterwards (or during) if not fully clean from the `Grim` image

Watch out for the canal bridges

• Was that a dig at me Mr K?

(Bashed my 'ed on one of the bridges a couple of years ago and ended up in Frimley Park hospital!)

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

image I`m running this one as I cannot find a pub en route to wave you guys by like I did at Yateley.  

Are you doing this one Nick?

Where`s Muttley gone?

• No - not this year - I've retired from races over 10k!! (Except for triathlons and duathlons)

I expect to enter for 2 or 3 of the Yateleys.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I'm here Mr K but unable to do this one now. Laid up with achilles problems and really unfit. And working on the day. Poo.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

image Thats a shame Muttley. I`m just coming back from a tight achilles tendon too. Worked out why today - I spent most of December in flip - flops things so it was tight from that and then managed to tread on a kerb just to make sure it was fully stretched (the 20M over Box Hill - Tanners 20 - didn`t help either). Slow 10Km last w/e and this Sunday uping it 10M+ (rude not to run there on Sunday). Are you at Wokingham?  

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I am ... at least, I have a place. The plan is to gently resume running and check the achilles. If all goes well I should be fit to just plod round sedately. Carrying an injury and the post-Crimble flab at present.

Haven't you had enough of Box Hill in the past?

• Hello I am running this too - I only registered yesterday and have never run more than 10k before, so it should be interesting.  I'm planning to do the Fleet Half in March and the Great South in October, with a few 5ks and 10ks inbetween.

I will watch out for the canal bridges - I tripped up last week and gave myself some huge bruises, then I dropped a full water bottle on my foot so I don't want any more injuries!!

• Has anyone had race-day instructions/numbers for this one?

I've seen nothing yet. Signed up back in December.

Thanks

• Wokingham is next up for me too, after Lakeside. I always feel a bit of personal PB pressure at Wokingham because it's so flat and fast.

I had some physio for a painful achilles which had an inexplicable lump on it over the summer. I basically got told to do lots of calf strengthening exercises, which I did, and to cut back on running for a couple of months, which I didn't.

You lot seem to do a lot of the same races as me - Bracknell half and Maidenhead ten coming up for anyone?

• I'm doing Wokingham and Reading.  I'm thinking about Bracknell, but haven't entered that yet.  Where abouts are you chillies?  
  • Nigel - race instructions will be emailed to you shortly - i think!    It will be collect numbers on the day anyway so just turn up with your safety pins ready.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)
    Nigel - race instructions will be emailed to you shortly - i think!    It will be collect numbers on the day anyway so just turn up with your safety pins ready.

image ...............looks out for e-mail image

I`m doing Wokingham & Maidenhead - shame I`m missing out on Bracknell.   

• Not that far away then chillies.  

Mr K i've sent my entry off for the New Forest 10

• Nigel: Also slightly surprised not to have received any info yet despite signing up a while ago.  Will keep an eye on email...

Any recommendations as to whether trail shoes are advisable for this race? I am a relatively new-comer to the running world, this is my first race over 10k and not sure what would be best.  Grateful for any tips.

Thanks!

Louise

•  Mick Mick ✭✭✭

LP - my advice re shoes... if it's wet, trail, if it's dry - road.

Assuming same course as last year, there's a bit of woodland track, 3 - 4 miles of road and 3-4 miles of canal path. The canal path is mostly hard shale, but can be quite wet, muddy with puddles if wet (or icy).

I think the massive puddle from 2 years ago is now avoided by using a different route - but that beat any type of shoes anyway!

So far weather forecast for the rest of the week is dry, so probably normal shoes. Unless LWJ, as local expert, gives update later in the week.

• From memory of 2 years ago it's more road than trail, and most of the trail is stony paths as Mick says, so I would (and will) wear road shoes, especially if you normally wear shoes with plenty of cushioning.

An as I always say after offering advice, "Not that I know anything, of course"

Also, I do sometimes keep my most recently retired road shoes going for a while if I'm doing a race where it's going to be a mix of a bit of mud and a lot of tarmac - It feels wrong to get a brand new pair of Kayanos filthy in their first 50 miles image

• I remember THAT puddle Mick.  There was no way whatsoever could you get round it.

I believe the route is going to be the same as last year as Mick says, woodland, road, then canal path.

I will let you know Saturday pm what weather conditions are like.