Sub 3h15

Comments

• 7.5 miles Very slow for me tonight. Much to dark and snowy to attempt strides, so I left them out. Av pace a wonderful 9.11mm. Due to my usual route having no lighting I ran alongside roads with street lighting and despite the slow pace I even over took a couple of cars!!

Hope the little niggles clear up. I find I get little calf niggles when trying to run on ice and snow. A hot bath and some tablets seem to sort them out.

B&B I have family who live/drink in Lark lane, I also spent a large part of my study days in the Kingsman, opposite Liverpool Cricket Club (some good days/nights there as well) and just up from the best Indian restaurant in the North West; The Gulshan. My nearest pub is the Turnpike Tavern, but moving to the posh part has coincided with my training/cut back in going out. I still tend to drink in Anfield/Tuebrook area from my younger days. I quite like Allerton road but very rarely get out there.

• All this talk of running on dreadmills due to ice and snow outside is making me feel right at home. Congrats to everyone who is actually getting outside to run.
    With regards Yaktrax - do they work just as well on ice as on snow? It's when the snow gets compacted down that the nightmare's really begin. I've only had one fall so far this winter - and that was just walking from work to the underground... no wonder I stay indoors for my training.
    RJ: Sorry to hear about your travel problems. Really hope you get back soon. I'm due to fly from Norway to the UK on Wednesday. No idea where I'll be spending Christmas this year. Could be an airport, could be on a train, might even get lucky and get home to my parents image
    Stay safe everyone and get well soon to all those carrying some form of lurgy.
    (PS: I'm off to see The Nutcracker ballet at the Norwegian Opera tomorrow! How cultured is that?)
  • x-post

FW My schedule calls for 5 runs a week. All going to plan, I will do all 5 days back to back which will give me the weekend free. If not I will run my LSR on Friday, like last week, which will leave a 4 mile recovery run for when the dinner is cooking (if permitted).

• Sounds liek everyone is slipping int their schedules/plans well.
    Fraser Wells wrote (see)
    What's everyone's running plans for Christmas day ?? Quietly slip out the back door and come back a couple of hours later ???
    Depnds if the pub is open. image
    Keir wrote (see)
    Anyone else suffering from B&B deja-vu?
    Nice easy 6 miles tonight at a steady 8.10 pace.
  • Managing to run to and from work currently. we have snow on the ground and all it's doing is slowing me down. Not bothered tbh as that's what I have planned currently. Wednesdays club session may not happen so I'll probably just log some more steady miles. No point doing speed work in these conditions.
    Windy - it seems I'm getting ribbed on the SSX sub 3 fred as well as this one! Do you lot never give up? image
  • Hope everybody quickly gets over their coughs, colds and the like. And watch it on those icy roads.

I'm still confident about getting over on Friday. If it was tomorrow, I woulfdn't be so sure...

•  Get well soon all those with illness.

Scooby & B&B as i live over the water in the very very very posh part i will have you know i don't talk with a funny accent...now wheres are my cucumber sandwiches???

• Still no thawing out taking place here in the Midlands but the pavements are reasonably ok to get out on. Managed 5.58 miles on the way into work this morning in 47m27s at 8m30s pace and will look to do likewise on the way home. Keep on folks
  • Walked to and from the pool this morning and swam a mile. So much slush about where it was much warmer overnight, bit too slippy for running on. Didn't see any runners when i walked through the local park on the way so felt happy about that and like i wasn't woosing out! image

Looks like another snow spell coming tomorrow then reasonably clear after that.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    -17 here last night and still piles of snow everywhere.  Dont know if I can survive my planned 10 on the treadmill.....
  • Well done, MM. Hopefully all the snow, ice and colds will clear up soon and peeps can get cracking on their mara training.

Relatively ideal running conditions here in Norfolk image 8 mile general aerobic run for me this morning (5:20am) @MP+15%.

Fraser Wells wrote (see)

What's everyone's running plans for Christmas day ?? Quietly slip out the back door and come back a couple of hours later ???

No running on Christmas Day for me! Now starting a recovery week, but I'll make it two instead. So just keep ticking over for now; no strides or MP.

• x-post.

-17?!! image  I'm in the tropics here, Minni.

• It's starting to melt a bit here - hovered around freezing all night and +2 now.

Christmas running for me will most likely be Bushy or Frimley parkrun on Christmas Day, with a fallback of a run from Windsor Castle along the Long Walk if they get cancelled. Then I'm organising Black Park parkrun on Boxing Day, so I'll most likely do a long one on Monday.

• Lorenzo - I'm genuinely impressed at your ability (and willingness!) to burst into song and entertain a train full of strangers.  And Nympho Jane is a karaoke rapper.  How about that?

Two treadmill miles on Sunday and another two planned for this afternoon.  This will bring me up to about 270 miles for the year.  A spring marathon's not going to happen, is it?  Anyone need a number for Edinburgh?

• Morning all,

Blimey, I don't pop by for a couple of days and the thread goes from 3 pages to 45! A lot of reading back is required me thinks!

From my brief skim back it looks like people are doing well to get some running in even with the weather.

I've had less luck, w*rk/Life/run balance is not great at the moment - too much time spent sat at my desk, being busy at home or to be quite frank CBAing. Not great TBH, the week before Christmas is always a busy time for me but this year it's been more hectic than usual, coupled with the bad weather, long commute, poorly and pregnant SPO and broken teeth means the P&D sched has not really started. So, short of it is I seemed to have lost two good weeks of training. I'm not going to moan tho I just need to pull myself together and get it sorted. I think that although I have a love affair with my Duvet in the mornings, I'm going to have to suck it up and start morning running. Never been much good at that tho but needs must.

On a seperate note, I've recently discovered the Marathon Talk podcasts which have been keeping me entertained listening to old ones, and I'm currently catching up on some that were recorded around this time last year and it is interesting to hear that the weather was causing everyone the same problems last year and we all came through it ok in the end! A good tip that was mentioned today was that if the roads are bad and you need to do a session, find a multi-storey carpark and run up and down it - it's likely to be empty as there are no cars on the road and it's all under cover!

Happy running peeps and swift recovery to those who are benched/ill.

• FINgers wrote (see)
    A good tip that was mentioned today was that if the roads are bad and you need to do a session, find a multi-storey carpark and run up and down it - it's likely to be empty as there are no cars on the road and it's all under cover!

Blimey it's coming to something when the choice of route is between a multistory car park and a treadmill. image

Good to see you around these parts Fingers - remind me, what is the target for Spring?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Another 6" of snow in the night. A mate has just dragged me out for an early morning cross country run. 5.5m in just under 1 hr, 10.40 pace. Head full of snot, so just pleased to get out. No sign of a thaw in Kent.

No chance of running on Xmas day, anyway it would disturb my gluttony! Although I will run the 10 miles to the in-laws on Boxing day.

Minni - 17! image As today is the winter solstice, does that mean you don't get to see the sun all day, living in the arctic circle as I assume you do! image

• A.C wrote (see)

Blimey it's coming to something when the choice of route is between a multistory car park and a treadmill. image

Good to see you around these parts Fingers - remind me, what is the target for Spring?

I don't have a dreadmill so not much choice for me!... image

Goal race for me is Brighton marathon in the spring where I will be having a crack at 3:10 to try for GFA place in 2012, would be nice to run in the Capital in Olympic year. WIthin this campaign I also want to get my HM time down a little to somewhere around 85-86 mins at Reading, but that will be what it will be as I won't specifically be tapering etc for it.

Oh, and did I mention that somewhere in there we'll be having a new member of the familly come along in Feb...

Am I asking too much of myself this year?!

• FINgers wrote (see)

the week before Christmas is always a busy time for me but this year it's been more hectic than usual, coupled with the bad weather,..................and broken teeth

Are you Santa or the Tooth Fairy?

Going to be running home from work today for the 8 miles planned, but due to waiting 50min for a bus this morning to get to work thought I'd try a double tomorrow instead. Schedule calls for 11 miles but it is only 5 miles to work and I know that it is a time on your feet thing, but would a 5/7 or 5/8 be as beneficial??  Any thoughts appreciated?  (running wise preferably, but I'm not choosy)

• Windy - I know maths is not my strong point but 5 + 7 = 12 and 5 + 8 = 13. Shouldn't you be looking for 5.5/5.5 or 5/6?
    Anyway, splitting the day up into running commutes is a great idea and as long as you keep it steady I can't see much difference in training effect.

Other thoughts:
    Never eat yellow snow
    Never wear check with plaid
    Blue and green should never be seen, except with a colour inbetween
    Never bet on the favourite at the 2.30 at Chepstow

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

MM Sharing his wisdom as always! I liked the way that even JBFAR started by giving you marathon grief on the SSX sub 3 thread without realising it! image

Fingers - Congratulations for Feb. How many kids have you already? With paternity leanve you might manage to get some extra miles in, but I reckon the stress and disturbed sleep will cancel out any advantage. Good luck! We are planning to get 'jiggy with it' again in Spring / early summer for a 3rd and final kid. Considering that VLM is in April, I might have to keep things constrained till later in the summer! image

Windy, 11 miles will have more of a training effect than a 5 and a 7. I reckon a 5 and a 8 or 9 would equal an 11 in 1 go. But then again the snow factor means that a 9 in this weather equals a 11 in normal conditions. So prehaps a 5 and 7 in snow would equal an 11 in non snow or a 9 in snow so on reflection and considering all these factors........ I think after all the bus is better. image

• Windy wrote (see)
    FINgers wrote (see)

the week before Christmas is always a busy time for me but this year it's been more hectic than usual, coupled with the bad weather,..................and broken teeth

Are you Santa or the Tooth Fairy?

PMSL!

Windy wrote (see)

Going to be running home from work today for the 8 miles planned, but due to waiting 50min for a bus this morning to get to work thought I'd try a double tomorrow instead. Schedule calls for 11 miles but it is only 5 miles to work and I know that it is a time on your feet thing, but would a 5/7 or 5/8 be as beneficial??  Any thoughts appreciated?  (running wise preferably, but I'm not choosy)

During last years campaign I did this double a few times - a 5-8 split worked quite well for me. I ran the early 5 very slowly though as I don't do mornings very well. Occasionally I would do the 5 at Lunch and then the 8 later in the day. The hardest thing was the refueling enough to make sure my legs could manage the last mile or so of the pm 8.

• Keir wrote (see)
    I didn't think you were listening the first time and it was important. Na, it must have been something to do with the fact I was reading the thread on the bus, on the way to the pub.
    The Accidental Runner wrote (see)

Anyone need a number for Edinburgh?

Yes please, 3:09:59 if you've got it! Sorry to hear it's still not going so well for you. Is there a last date for transfers? You never know what'll happen in the next couple of months so it might be worth holding onto it.

FINgers - Congratulations! I shouldn't worry too much about your running mojo, you'll find it if you want it.

Scooby - Never been to the Gulshan but Mayur, on Duke Street is a good choice. Well, I've been 3 times and it's nice. Upper class Indian cuisine so it'll probably suit the likes of you and efc-col!

BOTF - parkrun on Chirstmas day? That's either total dedication or complete lunacy. Just off the top of my head, I can actually think of about 4,000 things I'd rather do on the 25th and they all start with a selection box and a glass of champagne image Which also answers Fraser's question.

Should be running about 10 miles tonight but not sure how to approach it. The roads and paths are incredibly slippery but I can't face getting home, changing and going to the park to start my run at 7:30. Should have had the induction on the treadie at the gym.

• Keir wrote (see)

Windy, 11 miles will have more of a training effect than a 5 and a 7. I reckon a 5 and a 8 or 9 would equal an 11 in 1 go. But then again the snow factor means that a 9 in this weather equals a 11 in normal conditions. So prehaps a 5 and 7 in snow would equal an 11 in non snow or a 9 in snow so on reflection and considering all these factors........ I think after all the bus is better. image

Yes, but I think the swans will be skating rather than gliding down the stream image
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr wrote (see)
    Yes, but I think the swans will be skating rather than gliding down the stream image

Who mentioned swans?

B&B wrote (see)

Should be running about 10 miles tonight but not sure how to approach it. The roads and paths are incredibly slippery but I can't face getting home, changing and going to the park to start my run at 7:30. Should have had the induction on the treadie at the gym.

So has anyone actually run on the Yaktrax Pros?  They sound like they will be useful but I'm just wondering how they would feel like in practise.

For Christmas Day it's traditional for me to prepare the wines.  Of course, these need to chill or breathe for a couple of hours and what better to do in these "waiting" hours than go for a runimage

Boxing Day could be a problem as P&D have scheduled a 16 with 8 at MP.  You'd think they would take in to account the fact that it's the day after Christmas and I may well be worse for wear.  MP could certainly be a challengeimage

• Seen Better Days wrote (see)
    Boxing Day could be a problem as P&D have scheduled a 16 with 8 at MP.  You'd think they would take in to account the fact that it's the day after Christmas and I may well be worse for wear.  MP could certainly be a challengeimage

Not if it means "Mince Pies"! No problem at all.

My worry with ordering those Yaktrax is that they're not likely to arrive before Christmas. I'm thinking of doing the poor man's version and sticking some screws in my old pair of trainers. Unfortunately, like everything else, they're in my lockup image

• Seen Better Days wrote (see)
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

Who mentioned swans?

I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that Keir was quoting Spike Milligan...

Blisters and beer wrote (see)
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)

Not if it means "Mince Pies"! No problem at all.

I think I'd prefer the first 4 warmed-up rather than the 4 cooled-down.

• Keir - Cheers... this is the first....

<checks emoticons to find appropriate one for how I feel and makes choice>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• FINgers Congrats on the future arrival on your littlen'. Would it not make sense to have a couple of weeks rest and then start on the 12 week schedule? 

B&B The reason I mentioned the restaurant is it should be close to you, they are really good and they do take away. What could be more civilised than a full day at the cricket followed by the best Indian in the North West? 

SBD As I said before I was meant to do some strides yesterday, but thought better of it. HMP scheduled tomorrow, again I don't think I will attempt these. As RJ and MM amongst others have stated the MP/speed stuff doesn't/shouldn't be added until a lot nearer the big date. Time on feet/miles in the legs is my objective for the next couple of weeks.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Managed 8 miles very slowly and left out the strides as my calf is sore from the slight pull from Sunday. Averaged 9 m/m. The snow and ice does seem to be thawing but I found it more tricky to run on for some reason because I kept slipping everywhere.

FINgers - good luck with the looming new arrival. Of course your goals are achievable. After all, you aren't the pregnant one are you?! If I can aim for similar goals after spending the last 8 years being pregnant or lactating, with sleepless nights thrown in for good measure, then I forbid you from lowering yours without much ribbing.

Keir - I hope you aren't going to go into too much detail about trying for your third child. (please)... For the sake of Speedy, Jools, Minni, Sue, Upsy, Pipes and moi (random thought - there are much more wimmin on here now!)