Sub 3h15

Comments

• Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

Would it not make sense to have a couple of weeks rest and then start on the 12 week schedule? 

Were you talking to FINgers or Keir image

Thanks for the shout on the Indian. I tend to make my own from scratch, as I really enjoy it but do sometimes need a fallback if I can't be bothered. Actually, I've just realised I've been there before! D'oh! Yeah, it was nice.

I love all this talk of food. Yep, warmed up Gul, with some brandy butter. Easy on the butter.

• MsE wrote (see)
     Keir - I hope you aren't going to go into too much detail about trying for your third child. (please)... For the sake of Speedy, Jools, Minni, Sue, Upsy, Pipes and moi (random thought - there are much more wimmin on here now!)
    I think you're in there, Keir. There appears to be a little jealousy of your wife. Don't know why a gay man's listing himself with women though...seems to be stretching the imagnination image
  • Blisters and beer wrote (see)

BOTF - parkrun on Chirstmas day? That's either total dedication or complete lunacy. Just off the top of my head, I can actually think of about 4,000 things I'd rather do on the 25th and they all start with a selection box and a glass of champagne image Which also answers Fraser's question.

Nah, it's just a nice way to start the day, and I'll probably still be back before my wife has surfaced.
    MsE wrote (see)
     Keir - I hope you aren't going to go into too much detail about trying for your third child. (please)... For the sake of Speedy, Jools, Minni, Sue, Upsy, Pipes and moi (random thought - there are much more wimmin on here now!)
    I think you're in there, Keir. There appears to be a little jealousy of your wife. Don't know why a gay man's listing himself with women though...seems to be stretching the imagnination image

The Chuckle Brothers are at it again...image 

...although Keir could keep a thread in the style of the SSX threads tracking the highs and lows of siring his next child...or maybe not.....image

and B&B, when did this thread become the "where to eat in Liverpool" thread?

Mrs AC is about to go for a run and then it is my turn later - probably 6-7 miles I think, avoiding pavements and roads..time on feet and remaining upright being the name of the game.

• Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
     and I'll probably still be back before my wife has surfaced.

Oh, is she a fish as well?

Sorry, feeling very silly.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

Seen Better Days wrote (see)
    Gul Darr wrote (see)
    Yes, but I think the swans will be skating rather than gliding down the stream image

Who mentioned swans?

I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that Keir was quoting Spike Milligan...

Well spotted Gul and SBD. I'm much more impressed with your recognition of Milligan than B&Bs many obscure Shakespeare quotes that he realed off last week. My teachers ability to spot Google use during homework was going haywire to that one!

Blisters and beer wrote (see)

Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
     and I'll probably still be back before my wife has surfaced.

Oh, is she a fish as well?

Sorry, feeling very silly.

Glad you got in their first. Was much more palatable than the comment I was going to make about our current forms of pregnancy avoidance! image BTW - No-one mention the planning for the third child thing, right. I'll get all sorts if she finds out I've been spilling the beans (so to speak!)

edited due to some formatting issue.

• Keir wrote (see)

BTW - No-one mention the planning for the third child thing, right. I'll get all sorts if she finds out I've been spilling the beans (so to speak!)

Keir, That reminds me of the Swiss Tony sketch.....
    "Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak. And then you put in the milk"

I've always found having other children is a good form of contraception.

• Keir wrote (see)
    I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that Keir was quoting Spike Milligan...

Well spotted Gul and SBD. I'm much more impressed with your recognition of Milligan than B&Bs many obscure Shakespeare quotes that he realed off last week. My teachers ability to spot Google use during homework was going haywire to that one!

Keir's new novel: "Blisters and beer : My Part in His Downfall".

BTW, I think it's more than your formatting you needed to edit!

• @keir - you have two boys already dont you 4&2 and born in 74?

reason for asking is this is a bit spooky if so...me also

general question - i have a slow 12m in the plan for sunday but am entered in a 7m race, the chevin dash above otley, would these be equivalent or do you think some extra miles on another day are required?

• dm1974 - The 7 mile race is definitely a hard workout. Is there not a tough session later in the week you can swap with the 12m slow you're meant to be doing?
  • Humph.

Mojo not helped by rubbish lunchtime run. Mean't to be 9 miles with 4 at threshold, degenerated to 1mile warmup and 1 mile at threshold followed by me a wheezing wreck by the Regents Canel followed by easy 2 miles back to office. <sulk>

In seriousness, not a great run but I have a feeling that the antibiotics and painkillers that I am on due to the recent dental work, coupled with the fact that I am not really able to eat properly, also due to dental work meant that my body is not exactly firing on all cylinders right now.

Oh well - I think that I may have to rethink my attack on Brighton, having missed a fair amount of endurance work now, my last 4 or 5 weeks have averaged less than 25miles per week..... will have a think and put something up here later on.

• Just swap the 7 mile race for the 12 mile easy. Stick in a mile or two w/up and w/down and you're near 12 miles anyway. Think of it as a current indicator of form and a marker of where you're at more than anything else
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    dm1974 wrote (see)

@keir - you have two boys already dont you 4&2 and born in 74?

reason for asking is this is a bit spooky if so...me also

Snap! image

SBD - I did type a detailed answer to your question about YakTrax pro's earlier, but my 2 yr old, wanting attention, came over and pressed F5, wiping my detailed answer. Amazing how quickly they learn to operate 'puters. He will be setting up Faceboomk accounts in my name next!

I have completed a total of 1 run (16 miles) in Yaktrax with my road shoes. No noticable difference in gait, muscle tiredness and I didn't sip at all. When you hit a bit of tarmac you can feel the springs underfoot a bit, but nothing which causes disturbance. I did have to remove them for a 1 mile stretch of non snowy road, but were easy to refit without taking off my shoes (but did need to remove gloves). They are no good on sheet ice, but ideal on compacted snow. I Like image

• FINgers - Congratulations on your happy news.

Keir - Go on, son, let's have it all in detail.

Still keeping my fingers crossed about being able to get to Blighty for Christmas, although the flights are getting to Stansted normally, apparently, and all week they've gone from Asturias no problems.

You lot are having all sorts of aggro trying to get runs in - I don't think that Multi-storey Car Park idea is such a bad one! And what is the report from Sick Bay?

A bit cold but nothing too bad (5ºC) this morning as I ventured out. I did wake up just before the alarm at 5:30 and very nearly allowed myself a Rest Week this week, but then I thought that it would be better to put my feet up next week, while I'm (hopefully) in England.

So out the door I went, with no real idea of what to do other than get some Kms in. As the minutes went (really) slowly by I decided I might as well see if I could get the first two-hour run of the campaign in, and so I did. 16.2m in 2:01:30, which is probably a bit fast, but I was feeling quite perky as time went on. It was only the first 6-7 miles that were interminable.

Good luck everyone, and keep on keeping on.

• dm1974 - Is the 12 the furthest you've done for a while?

If you are doing it more regularly, you could log the warmup/cool down miles as part of the session and treat the 7 in the middle as a tempo session. A 1.5mile warmup/cooldown at each end already takes it up to 10 miles for the day - a very tough session and more than enough on that sort of session.

But if you've not run 12 for a while and if, as you've said, you want to run the 12m slowly then I would follow what MM has said and swap it out for another session in the week. Although the race will be a hard workout, due to the pace and mechanisms they will not bring you the same benefits. Not that you won't benefit from both, but you will stress different physiological systems in the body to a certain extent and therefore you will gain in different areas.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    BTW - Congratulations Fingers! image
  • Some top quality chat today chaps/chappesses.

Had to have a chuckle to myself at SBD's sole "duties" on Christmas day comprising "preparing the wines" aka "taking the tops off some bottles". Good call sir - you've certainly bagged the easy option there

I'm weak as a kitten today with pathetic viral-ness. Has to be a day off running and do some vegging instead methinks. Just watching Jeremy Kyle carry out a live liver ultrasound scan on a Ned - marvellous

Good to see the Asics SSX sub3 fella has de-cloaked on his thread

• Congrats Fingers, give or take a few letters "paternity leave" is very nearly an anagram of "extra training time".

Remember that Adidas competition that was on RW a couple of weeks ago?  They just kindly called to say I (among others) have "won" an evening of coaching (got to pity the coach) + free shoes. He shoots, he scores!

20m along the canal just now, can't pretend it was fun, just too cold, but it's another tiny brick in the jerry built wall. 

Good luck with the journey Ant, it's a tad grim over here

• LOL

Fraser Wells wrote (see)

Just watching Jeremy Kyle carry out a live liver ultrasound scan on a Ned - marvellous

Love it - you can't beat a good bit of JK to make you feel better about yourself - no matter how bad things get you will never reach those true depths...... Anyone for a lie detector test?

• Congrats to you FINgers.  I think SBD's  got the most important duties of Xmas day. I'll be cooking so if I don't get a run in after pressie opening it won't be happening. 

10 miles for me today on the treadie at 7:20 pace. Hope the snow's gone by Thurs, yeah right, as I was planning to do a long one.

• Cheers for all the congrats peeps! We're very excited aboutthe whole adventure ahead.

Mmmm, suggestions of paternity leave - I will of course be taking some time off but probably not as much as I would like as I work as a contractor - no work = no pay and all that.... But I do like the anagram....

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    BTW - Congratulations Poacher! image
  • FINgers wrote (see)

dm1974 - Is the 12 the furthest you've done for a while?

If you are doing it more regularly, you could log the warmup/cool down miles as part of the session and treat the 7 in the middle as a tempo session. A 1.5mile warmup/cooldown at each end already takes it up to 10 miles for the day - a very tough session and more than enough on that sort of session.

But if you've not run 12 for a while and if, as you've said, you want to run the 12m slowly then I would follow what MM has said and swap it out for another session in the week. Although the race will be a hard workout, due to the pace and mechanisms they will not bring you the same benefits. Not that you won't benefit from both, but you will stress different physiological systems in the body to a certain extent and therefore you will gain in different areas.

no not at all...did dublin mara in october and have been on an RW maintenance schedule since, using the 'Smart Coach' on here.  Clocking in on average 60km a week since October with an average LSR on a Sunday of 16m.  basically 14m, 16m, 18m

just not sure mrs dm wants to hang around on a cold hillside on boxing day whilst i warm down but i will give this a try...thanks a lot for the advice image

• Blimey, Poacher - you spawny get! I really hope I get the Saucony Vizi-Pro stuff, or the Brooks kit.
  • Just looked up "spawny" as not heard the word before. The first definition that comes up on Google is unequivocal. Thanks Ant

• Well done Poacher - can't beat some free Adidas kit that's what I say image

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs273.ash1/20048_252801026467_531206467_4426212_1209677_n.jpg

I'd prefer the boys' version image
    You might have seen these as I was wearing them whilst SPANKING your arse at about the 6km mark of the Regency 10k this year. Or not, as I disappeared quickly into the distance image
  • (Note to self: remember to drink a litre of cherry brandy for breakfast, then throw up all over my shoes).
  • MM's all man - he's 100% comfortable with his sexuality - just ask MsE