Sunday 26th December 2010

Concentratin' on truckin' right

Morning! Been up a while listening to the cricket: England back on course to win the Ashes, methinks.

What: half an hour later, hopefully
Why: see no reason not to

Last rest: Dec 21 09
Last hard: Occasionally throwing in a few quicker bits on alternate days

Yesterday's lyrics were When a child is born, Johnny Mathis, as everyone knew.

Hope you all had a good day yesterday, and have another one today. Wondering where NZC  is, and what Christmas was like on the other side of the globe.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Seem to have managed to acquire an extra 2lb overnight without actually overindulging much - will try for a LSR but it's forecast to be -9C at 0900hrs and conditions underfoot aren't good. At least it will give me some 'me' time.

41H - it's great - I've nearly finished reading it already!

Madame) - my MiL tries really hard, it doesn't always quite work but the thought is always there. Sounds as though you had a nice relaxing day.

Gobi - I'm sure any excess won't be allowed to stay around for long.

What:                  an attempt at a LSR.
    Why:                    I'm fat.
    Last hard:          not the brussels.
    Last rest:            18/12.

Lyrics - yes.

Have a good one!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Lyrics - yes

Today nowt again - lazy. image

The temp is now up to -2 but there's still frost on the frost. I don't do cold.

• Afternoon

LMUH - seem to have acquired 3 lbs since yesterday i didn't really eat much must have been the Disarono champagne and the cider image oh and the Christmas soaked and lit with the Brandy

What: 2.03 miles
    Why: Its the 2nd day of Christmas
    Last Hard: Today again getting out the door
    Lyrics: I think so

• Gym and run in a bit.

The snow is melting.

Talk later

• Afternoon all,

Our family feast is today, as that is when people could get here. Turkey in over, everything else primed and ready to go.

Got all this set up early, and ran out to sailing club for the Frostbite Spoon race. I never had any intention of sailing, just intended to be a good ghoul. It was cancelled, and the sailors all went off for a walk together. I got there too late for the walk, but son 1 had stayed around to give me a lift home.

It was a good run with training partner, and with Lucy carrying about 4kg. Probably got away with it, although pf started complaining ominously by the end. Will know tomorrow whether I did or didn't.

Good day to watch the water birds. Since much of river was frozen, on the unfrozen stretches there was much going on. Grebes, dabchicks, moorhens. I thought I saw a tree with lots of dead leaves, rather large dead leaves at that, and it turned out to be cormorants sunning themselves. There were plenty of them on the water too, diving and then resurfacing to poke their yellow beaks up to the sun. Great day to be on the towpath.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Stickless enjoy your family feast...

What - Basingstoke Parkrun and some extra miles
    Why - Building up
    Last hard... Ice running...
    Last Rest - Yesterday

Take care all

• Pammie - thankfully it had all gone by the time I got back from my run thankfully - hope yours disappears as quickly!

Stickless - hope you have a lovely time with your family.

Managed 12 miles in the end this morning - though it was a lot slower than I would have liked, still it was cold, difficult underfoot in places and hillier than I'm used to and it's all miles in the bank isn't it?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Hi all

Birkmyre - yes cricket was great! And no, I did not get yesterdays lyrics image again! There's always one ...

What - 60 min steady on  frozen snowy fields and trails  

Why - keeping it going

Lyrics - I HAVE got todays! Yippee image

• Afternoon

What: 13 miles on the frozen tow path - 8C here
    Why: Me time
    Last Hard: That was, running on snow and ice is tough
    Last rest: monday  /Tuesday? I have lost track of the days

I don't weigh myself over christmas it only leads to disapointment

• Afternoon all and Merry Christmas, if a day late. image

What: 9 miles on the treadmill at my father-in-law's gym

Why: it had to be done and there is WAY too much snow in Cardiff...and it's pretty damn cold too

Last rest: yesterday

Last hard: today

It was pretty hard going on the treadmill today. I'd never run for that long on one. Glad it's over but glad I at least had the option of the treadmill and didn't have to just can the run. I don't do well with being defeated, even if it is by an inanimate object such as snow and ice. image

Have a good one all. Enjoy your food Stickless.
  • Merry belated xmas everybody!

Hope Santa was nice to all of you image

What: 3 hrs xc skiing
    Why: a perfect day for it
    Last hard: ??
    Last rest: Wed
    Lyrics: yes

Going to catch up now.

• Treadmills are odd beasties, When I was going to the gym on a regular basis I could run for what seemed like forever on one. Now I can barely manage 10 mins. It's all in the mind I'm sure, though I do wonder if it's also because it's too warm in the gym? Having got used to the fresh air and I spose a greater oxygen content? I've been having it easy?

Anyway - the pools open tomorrow so I shall be happy.

• Evening all.

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday. I have to say, for me personally, nothing like two little kiddies to make it a very tiring, yet very fun day. We had a ball of a time image

What: 8m easy* d&d.
    Why: another run day, another mile.
    Last effort: ?
    Last rest: 24th and 25th.
    Lyrics: nope.

I'd resolved to run without a HRM limit today because 1) previous HRM spikes, and 2) I wanted the option to run as I felt. Needless to say, within 200m my HR was reading 171bpm! Though I kept the pace very easy, it was a little quicker than previous runs and was enough to enable me to work up a little sweat, and, lo and behold, the HRM readings started becoming consistent (except for when I ran through one area with a mass of powerful electricity pylons which has always played havoc with readings, and was therefore expected). This leads me to reason that the gel I had been using is not suitable for the job as I had guessed. I'm seeing my physio Wednesday so I'll see what he has in stock and also try some ky jelly.

* I decided to ease through a few gears for the last mile to get an idea of how much effort was required to run a sub-7 mile at this stage. Answer was 6:48m/m for 168bpm. When fit I'd expect to run a mara in the mid 170s, so for now it looks like, as I'd thought, my current MP would be in the 2:55-3:00 range, so I now have an idea what my easy HR should equate to pace-wise.

Have fun all image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: same as yesterday
    Why: life works that way
    Last hard: in the past
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: no
  • Evening all on here, new and old!

Ward Green 6 (5.67M) race today, a former local race for me, but since I've moved to Sheffield, I got my partner to drop me off and pick me up later (after the post-race drinks)!

I've done this race, now, 7 times in 11 years, fastest time of 35.49 and slowest, so far, of 41.14. but after recent happenings and averaging 18-20miles a week for the last couple of months, I wasn't expecting much today, except a good day out! Blooming cold weather and some icy conditions but happy to be there amongst past club mates.

My times for the tough 2 lap course were:
    1M  =  6.54  (a big downhill)
    2M  =  7.14  (flattish)
    3M  =  8.22  (uphill)
    4M  =  7.08  (down again)
    5M  =  7.28  (flat)
    0.67 =  5.36  (the last hill)

Really pleased to finish in 42.38 in about 37th place, definitely a lot faster than I could have hoped for. I was having a great chat to a bloke from my old club for most of the last lap so pushed the pace and put in more effort than I probably would have done without him! 7.32 av miling today so I think I'll be doing a few more races in future, and maybe rejoining a club to run for them, but not train with them due to work and home constraints (got my wedding in April, so frenetic planning at the mo)!

Saw Gobi was racing today, anyone else?

• Happy boxing day all!

I have to say Pammie / LMUH, weighing yourself on boxing day does seem like asking for trouble! I won't be stepping on the scales for a few days.

What: 6m
    Why: Fresh air, over indulgence yesterday and it above zero here today, lovely!

I came within 2ft of a very large coyote today - I don't mind them from a distance but this one was big and close and there wasn't another soul around, a little unnerving!

No clue on the lyrics again!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    FL - I didn't really race but I was at a race :¬)

Rach and I get on the scales tomorrow
  • Evening!

Lyrics were "I don't like cricket", 10CC...just what a lot of Aussies were saying today! Realised part the way through the morning that I used these in May.

FL: nice work. Up the training, race a little, and you'll be trim for the wedding. Have been to Ward Green many moons ago...all I remember was that it was cold and hilly.

Gobi: don't do cryptic clues very well.

I usually save the scales until Jan 2nd, with good reason!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.