Off road shoes - do you need gait analysis?

I currently only do road running and wear the Brooks Adrenaline GTS10. I had my gait analysis done when I bought these around 4 months ago, I have high arches and I over pronate on my left foot.

I now want to do some off road running but my Brooks are no good for this.

Is it the same idea for off road shoes? go to a store and get them to help you and do some analysis in them? I do not think that my gait has changed in such a short time, however when I shopped for my Brooks, they had me run in 3 different trainers that were all for the same support/gait the and the Brooks were the best, so I know that not all shoes made for the same thing feel or fit the same.

However I kind of feel that if I go and have my gait done then I have to buy the shoes from that store and there are so many sales online at the moment so I know I could get them alot cheaper than my local running store.

So, to have the analysis done or not?

Does anyone here have high arches and over pronate and own a pair of off road shoes?

Thanks

Comments

• I wear orthotics in my road shoes due to over pronation, however I get robust off-road shoes and run in them without the orthotics. I could never wear a pair of Walshes for instance but my Innov8 mud-roc give me sufficient support for off-road
  • I've been pondering the pyurchase of some off-road shoes for a while now but I'm as confused as every other road runner seems to be about them.

I tried a pair of adidas kanadia on, but they felt very tight around the toe box. Looking to do a few trail races this year so need to invest in something but dont know what. I'm a moderate over-pronator on the road and run in Asics GT 21 series. Like becki, i'd love to know if there is a sort of off-road equivalent!

• kicked-it, go and look at Asics Gel Trabucos.

I've done 13 miles on road with the Wave Ascends and was fine, the point, everyone is different so yes Becki, if you can get a gait analysis then do.  If you're in GTS then Brooks do an equivalent Trail shoe called the GTS ASR.  Get version 7 as it has a much better grip than 6.

Rossy, the cascadias are excellent shoes with superb cushioning and grip.  They are a bit skittish on roads and ice but so perfect for muddy conditions.

• I never knew all offroad shoes had stability, I thought they were mostly neutral.
  • I'd say no, you don't need analysis (although I'm far from an expert).  I've run in heavily supportive trainers in the past for an over pronation of right leg, I also heel strike.  When I off road though I just use my trusty Inov-8s and have never had any issues with post run pain other than the lovely aches that hill work and bounding over tree roots brings on.  I'd say that the most important factors are making sure the shoe is a decent secure fit (so that you don't lose it in a huge puddle of mud like I did) and that it has suitable grip for the conditions you plan to run.  Your limbs will pretty much find their own stability on the softer off road surface.

• so, I have been to the local running shop and asked a few questions, they only have around 6 different off road shoes and most of those are the inov8 range.

I was told that the gait thing doesn't generally get taken into account and that as off road shoes take on uneven surfaces and rocks and the like then they aren't looked at in the same way.

I was shown the Mudroc 290 and the Mizuno Wave Harrier, (any thoughts on these) apparently the wave ones are ideal for first getting into off road and have a little cushioning unlike most other off road shoes????

I picked up an Inov-8 leaflet so I'll take a look at that too.

so, Its either order a few different ones on the net and send back what I do not want or hope I can get to the nearest Sweatshop/Start fitness before the sales end.

This seems even harder than picking road shoes, at least the sales assistant will do your gait and then tell you which ones image

Thanks for your info everyone! I will have a look on net tonight and check out the GTS ASR, the Cascadia may not be so good for me as I want to get out on the snow and ice.

Anymore help is greatly appreciated, what are the Salomon range like?

• I've just bought the Saucony version of my road shoes after trying various different ones, I tried the mizuno wave harriers great for grip and I liked them a lot but the saucony just felt like putting on old friends but with more grip. However, OH bought the mizuno wave harriers (and he normally wears Brooks GTS10s too) about a month ago and he really likes them (he's been raving about hem every time we go out), they've been great on the ice and snow. He tried Innov8s liked the grip but they were way too tight across the instep for his feet.
  • Hi K

Does your other half have high arches?

Thanks
  • HI - I use the Brooks GTS range and when I went to get trail shoes was recommended Brooks ASR 6 (now version 7 I think). They have been fine so far
  • Kicked it..............I would also recommend looking at the asics Trabuco's................I use asics 1150's and my son uses asics 2150's for road running and we have both found the asics trabucos great............especially if part of your uns are on road or trail as well as mountainside.....................

done so many miles in them over the last year..brilliant.image

To be honest for your first pair of trail shoes i would go to a good running shop with your normal road shoes and get their advice and try on the suggested ones.................then buy the one that seems to work best..............

• Hi Becki

re the high arches - yes he does

• Hi K, thanks for that.

I think I'll have to have a look down the local running shop again, they have the Mizuno Wave Harriers, and a pair of Solamons and then the rest are the Inov8 range.

There aren't any other stores close by that sell much else. I fancy trying the Brooks ones on too.

(its me Becki, but I hadnt meant for my real name to show on posts, so have changed it to what it should be, but now you all know anyway haha)