Central Lancashire New Year Half Marathon

Comments

• Well done Linds and Dewifor your long runs. Most I`ve done was a 10 at Stockport! image
  • I was speaking to Ron McAndrew at the weekend and we were both of the same opinion that if it's going to be postponed, we'll make the decision on Friday this time rather than Saturday.

It will be my job as the racev referee to make the decision after discussion with the organisers.

We'll let people know on here, and on as many other web sites as we can. 

If the race is postponed, I may (but no promises) post my mobile number on here so people can text me to ask if it's on. Setting myself up there for a lot of potential texts, so please don't be surprised if it's just a one or two word response along the lines of "Off", "On", or "Race off, "Race on"

Hope this helps

Merry Christmas

• Thanks Brian

fingers crossed for a thaw

• NO worries.

Going to take a helluva thaw. Minus 12 again here tonight

• Long range forcast looks promising +4 to +6 most of next week with some rain Monday and Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
  • Thanks Brian! Did a nine mile run, sorry slide, around Penwortham this morning and was pondering the likelihood of `race on`.
  • It has to be on Brian, think of those extra calories that need burning off!!

Also, got a new Garmin 310XT from Mrs Clause, so looking forward to trying it out.

Fingers crossed guy's and girls, positive thinking.......

Not forgetting Happy Christmas and New Year to you all
  • I'm meeting the organiser, Steve Ashcroft, on Friday.
  • brian porter wrote (see)
    I'm meeting the organiser, Steve Ashcroft, on Friday.

Brian,

Surely you met with the actual organiser last weekend as per your posting on Christmas Eve. If Steve Ashcroft is the organiser how come cheques are made out to Fylde Coast Running and go to 55 Poulton Road Blackpool?

Check out the details - http://www.ukresults.net/11jan.html#lancshalf and make sure you meet with the right organiser on Friday – a race referee needs to be clued up!

• SOUP...........................

"A race referee needs to be clued up!"

I am fully aware of my responsibilities as a race referee. I know who I am meeting and I know why I am meeting them.

You last posting is bordering on Libel and I resent not only it's content but it's tone. HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY INTEGRITY

I will give you this opportunity to retract your last comment.

Brian Porter

• Just the usual Soup rantimage
  • Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks for your post Brian - it's a relief to know that someone will be posting some info nearer the time!

Well done to everyone who's made it out in the ice - only managed a 4miler the other day image so a half on sunday will be challenging!!

Quick question - is there anywhere near the start/finish for kids to play?  DH is thinking of coming and bringing the nippers but i don't think it's a 2 - lap course is it?  I'm worried they might be a bit bored waiting for mummy to waddle back to the finish....!

•  Hi RunningLinds -

we took our 3 year old twins last year. My husband watched them while I did the race.There wasn't anything there for them to do but  they were quite happy just running around, there are lots of friendly people about and plenty of space for them. There is shelter if they need it and they serve hot drinks too. I hope that helps a little. Good luck, It really is a great race, I really enjoyed it last year.

I hope you all have had a great Christmas and were able to get out in this terrible weather. I was ill for two weeks and have only been able to get out today in really icy conditions. Managed to skate for 4miles and then had to head for home. Not sure if i will even make it to 5 miles, let alone 13. I am secretly hoping that the race will be postponed like last year....sorry. image

I think i will try 14 on a treadmill tonight just to boost the confidence....or not!!

• Linds - my OH was coming to watch but, having been there last year, I don`t think there`ll be enough to keep our little girl occupied so they might just drop me off.

I`m sure most folk will be short on mileage. I did 4 on Xmas eve, 9 on the day and been to the gym today. Plan to do 6 in a bit. I`m treating it as a `c` race so training but with lots of other folk! Want to beat last year`s time but unlikely to be near PB form.

SOUP...........................

"A race referee needs to be clued up!"

I am fully aware of my responsibilities as a race referee. I know who I am meeting and I know why I am meeting them.

You last posting is bordering on Libel and I resent not only it's content but it's tone. HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY INTEGRITY

I will give you this opportunity to retract your last comment.

Brian Porter

Brian,

Thanks very much for the opportunity. So kind.

On the subject of retractions you will recall what you said about Blackpool Council in April 2009: “Ron and Lewis have said this is the last marathon in Blackpool. The Council in Blackpool wouldn't know a good thing if it declared itself from the top of Blackpool Tower. Healthy, fit people filling hotels, car parks and shops are clearly to be discouraged.” After it was conclusively proved that the Council was not making extortionate (or any) charges for, or standing in the way of the organisation of, the marathon I invited you to revise your opinion. You wrote: I have no reason or will to revise my opinion.And no, I will not be revising my opinion of the council's attitude. Having worked in and around Blackpool for more years than I would care to remember, I  am comfortable with my opinion of it's Council.”
  • To clarify - there isn`t a playground in Catforth is there? Any nearby?
  • Actually, Soup, I've slept since then.

The issue I have taken with you on this thread is your libellous comment referring to me as "needing to be clued up"

Clearly, since you are so keen to refer to comments stored in your extensive database, you have no wish to remain solely in the present. But seeing as how you have brought up acomment from 2009, my views of Blackpool Council have not changed in the interverning period

I am still waiting for the retarction to that comment that I asked for at 10.45 this morning.

• ET, you're right, there isn't a playground in Catforth. Sitting here wracking my brains to think of somewhere. But as has been highlighted on here I'm not clued up so probably of no helpimage. Sorry mate

Ribby Hall holiday park is only a few miles from Catforth (about 20 min drive) if that's any use.

Link to map of the site

• Brian....think you know that most of us appreciate what you do to give us the opportunity to run in these races. Having moved from the Midlands to the North...can tell you....that you and the other folks do a great job....near perfect is good enough! I find putting your energy into the positive people is the most rewarding....let the moaners keep on moaning. It is what they are good at image

• Thanks for all the tips on what to do with little ones. image  I will pass them onto Mr RL (currently babysitting) tomorrow....

RL

• Just 2miles back toward preston there is a pub called the saddle which has a good park and good food and drink dont think landlord would mind you using it I will check on thursday when Im in having lunch.image
  • Thanks Brian and Alan for the help.

I travel from Sheffield to in-laws in Preston to race as there`s more choice and many quality fields. So keep up the good work Brian, Billy Gardner, et al!

• Well done ET for mentioning Billy Gardner for the races he puts on and usually without a mention on here.

That could be a good sign image

The race scene round here would be the the same without Billy.

• Think Keith means would NOT be the same without Billyimage

Keith got you message. You were right, but please don't go telling anyoneimage

• I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine after I enquired as to the prospects of the race being on.

Not used the forum before but may I take this opportunity to say how useful the comments are and thank all you contributors.image

I have not been to the race location previously, am based in Staffordshire, but looking forward to a good run.  

Think Keith means would NOT be the same without Billyimage

Keith got you message. You were right, but please don't go telling anyoneimage

Thanks Brian for the help

Brain going faster than typing.

On the other question message received and understood.

• Hi All,

I know this event is full, but does anyone know if there is a reserves list or will it be worth turning up on the morning to see if anyone doesn't show? Really like to run this if possible. Thanks

• Just want to add my thanks to you Brian and the rest of the team that are involved in giving us the opportunity to participate in the run. It's obvious, but without your efforts, we simply wouldn't get the chance.

This will be my first time in this race and I'm looking forward to it.

STFC, you hit the nail on the head. Respect.

Up here in Windermere, it's all melting nicely, so fingers crossed for Sunday.
  • John Wood 35 wrote (see)

I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine after I enquired as to the prospects of the race being on.

Not used the forum before but may I take this opportunity to say how useful the comments are and thank all you contributors.image

I have not been to the race location previously, am based in Staffordshire, but looking forward to a good run.  

Welcome John and i hope you have a great runimage