Memory foam matresses

The time has come to replace our mattress. Due to long-term back problems, I have always opted for a firm 'orthopaedic' mattress but I'm wondering whether a memory foam one might be better.

I think that Mouldy has one and finds it too hot in summer but there are brands which claim to minimise this. I don't cope well with either extreme of temperature ( but at least the hot flushes seem to have finished ) and the extra warmth in winter might be welcome.

Does anyone have one of these? Do you boil in the summer? Are they really worth the extra cost? If we do go for one of these, is there anything in particular to look out for or avoid?

Fankyew.

Comments

• <lurks with interest>  I've wondered about a mattress topper for camping

• That's another option, Soupy, a standard mattress with a topper ...
  • we have one
    i love it, never noticed it being really hot in the summer
  • We have the topper version on a firm mattress - it's ace image
  • we had a Tempur mattress for years but recently ditched it as we found it a) too hot, even in winter, and b) too uncomfy (it was one of the original ones which may have been contributory - the design has changed a lot over the years).

we ummed and arred over what to replace it with and looked at many options but finally came around to a latex mattress as we'd always liked them on various beds we'd had and had never found sprung mattresses comfy.

we got the new one from Ikea (the Sultan Engenes latex one) and think it's great - excellent valued for money as well compared to the price of a new Tempur one
  • I haven't heard of a latex mattress, will have to go and do some more research ...
  • Hello Sluggie!

I have a Healthbeds Memory Flex 1400.  (I just stripped the bed to find that info!) image It's a combination of a sprung mattress with a foam topper built in.  I have just the mattress on my own metal bedstead.

link here

It's about 5 years old now and I purchased it because it won the Which? award at the time I was doing my research.  By the looks of the link it's won a subsequent award because I def purchased pre-2008.

I love my bed, it's really very comfortable indeed.

• Thanks for starting this, in similar position myself.  I've got an Ikea one which was great, but a bit saggy now (6rs+ old), I was wondering about the more expensive ones, but didn't find a 100% tempur one that comfortable, but I have used and love their anatomical pillows for years.

Reckon I'll give Ikea another go, I've got one of their mattresses on a spare bed and it's great, but they don't seem to make it any more, will check out the one FB mentioned.

• I have a thinck memory foam topper and I love the comfort factor - can't say its too hot in summer but I didn't need to replace the 4.5 tog duvet until december I was fine with the summer weight until then - I just use less bedding as it is defiantely warmer to sleep on
  • I love my bed image

Yes it is a bit warm in summer but at this time of the year it is well snuggly and it certainly helps with back/joint issues
  • I have a memory foam matress and I love it. I bought it 5 years ago due to back issues, and the matress has helped enormously. If i'm staying elsewhere, I always look forward to coming back to my own bed! I'll not buy a normal mattress again.

I haven't found it particularly hot, but I usually lie on my side while hugging the duvet, because I generally get hot at night, but I'm the same no matter what the mattress.

Happy mattress hunting!
  • Ours is a pocket sprung with a layer of memory foam and it's really comfy. I think the more springs you have the more support - ours has around 2000 and is a Sleepeeze. I'm always too hot in bed so can't help with that other than we now have a wool duvet from M&S which has no tog rating but is supposed to keep you at an ambient temperature all year round. It is better than a normal duvet but not perfect.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    This is a timely thread. image

FB - particularly interested in your recommendation, as you and P are very similar in build to Mr Jj and me, respectively. (Obviously!) Was your new one very 'spensive? And when you turn over in bed, can P carry on sleeping without being awoken thinking that she's on some sort of nocturnal trampoline? image
  • LOL @ the trampoline Jj.

It sounds as if it will be well worth looking at some sort of foam/latex dooberry but I can't decide whether this should be a mattress or a topper over a sprung one.

• Jj - Ikea ones are best value around. cost c£400 I think and no trampoline effect! much better than the old Tempur one fir that. latex ones tend not to trampoline anyway like sprung ones.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Excellent - thank you. I do turn it regularly, but the other day himself was in the bath, and I was a bit chilly so I snuck over to his side of the bed to use his residual warmth...and promptly rolled straight off the edge and onto the floor! ¦oD He compresses it so much it's like the side of a hill!
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Slugs et al - Limpette has the mattress-from-hell on a cheap pine slatted base. She recently bought two sheets of 1" memory foam on ebay for about £30 each as part of a project she had in mind. Having given up on the project both the 'toppers' are now on top of her mattress and it has become the comfiest bed in the house! Maybe a bit warm, but nothing extreme and definitely suitable for my rubbish back. It's a cheap fix!
  • That's a good thought, Limper, but I think our mattress is really due for a change.
  • I have pocket springs with a layer of memory foam, excellent, sorted my back problems and not too hot. Bliss to come back to if we have been staying away any where.
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Our old mattress, which we retired years ago is actually on SlugBoys/ the spare bed and is stillmore comfy than our current one. We went for a medium/firm rather than firm and it really has not lasted - I don't think even several layers of toppers would even out the mountain in the middle which dips down the the valleys where both of us sleep. 

We'd really like to try before we buy so it looks as if we have some trawling around to do.

• Tempur advertise that you can try for a month before you buy, but I don't know what the ramifications would be if you tried and then didn't buy.
  • A Very Merry Chrism.ouse wrote (see)

It's a combination of a sprung mattress with a foam topper built in.  I have just the mattress on my own metal bedstead.

+1 for sprung mattress with foam topper.  I love my bed image.

• Got a tempura one in Nov...love it ( girlfriend has back issues)

Thinking about  a topper for the campervan

• Had one for 5 years, would never go back to 'normal' one and I don't find it hot in the summer

from a technical point of view (and for your back) you should find it helps. memory foam by nature is designed to mould around your body shape, this means that your body is under no 'peak pressure' strain enabling the muscles to relax

• another +1 for the sprung matress with the foam bit on top.  Can't remember what make it is, got it in the sales last year and it's amazing. image