Llanelli parkrun

Comments

• Hi Matt,

Good to hear from you and of the activities you are up to - best of luck and please keep us updated image

A Park Run in Llanelli is a great idea but there is no rush and people will wait I'm sure, it's positive news alone that you've started the process.

Let us know when you are ready and I'll be available to help as you need.

Regards

Kev

• Cheers Kev, you should definitely come to the charity night image and probably run my track marathon too image

You doing any of the HBA events this year?

• Hi Matt,

It's my Wife's Birthday that night and as she is a non-runner, does not share my enthusiasm for a night out at Felinfoel Rugby Club - I will work on her!

I was hoping to do the HM but for various reasons / excuses training has not gone well so may do the St. Davids Day Cardiff 10k that day instead.

Will be doing the Waterside 10k and Tayo 5k hopefully.

• Plenty of time to be ready for HM Kev? You know what is best for you though.

Regards your wifes birthday let her know is not all about running apart from the talk from Rosie Pope which I'm sure will be inspirational for runners and non-runners alike. Live music, disco, yours truly as a compere, raffle, auction and hog roast or finger buffet for food too.....Would be good to put a face to the name. Was it you I mistook for a friend and abused out training last year?

• Not that I remember Matt - but I get abused a lot!
  • I remember now having checked back, was Jonathon Walters

• Hi all, I thin ka parkrun in Llanelli would be brilliant, I had just this week been racking my brains trying to think of a route in carmarthen but I had drawn a blank so Llanelli for me would be next best thing!

I would be willing to help out occasionally (4 children and husband permitting) but would love to run them occasionally too!  I'm doing the Half in Llanelli in March anyway!

Good lluck with the charity night mattoo.....i had the privilege of running a short distance with Rosie Swales last year in the Rhyader 20 mile race,.....she is so totally inspriational and a really lovely woman, you'll have a great time!!!

If you need any help at all in setting the parkrun up I would be more than willing to assist!

• Andrea we will look into this post April. I just need to know that I wont have to be there every week really because that would be impossible
  • Matt - I will probably be able to be there every other week as an average and am willing to help with the setting up as much or as litlle as you want.
  • Cool Kev lets get together over a pint in a beer garden somewhere once VLM is out the way. You still going to show your face next weekend?
  • Yes I'll be there! Even though we are away in the caravan in Oxwich me and my boy (Running Ol) will be there!
  • Mattoo - are you still out there?

Just resurrecting this thread as the idea of a parkrun in Swansea has been discussed recently. I wondered if there had been any developments with a parkrun in Llanelli or where things last left off?? (I think it was agreed in principle, but needed someone to volunteer to take it on)

Mattoo - if you read this thank you for starting this thread & for all your hard work in the events in 2011 (just gathered that from reading earlier posts in this thread) I hope the Rose S-P evening was a success & you ran well in the marathon in 2011  - that seems like ages ago now!

As a keen, competitive runner in South Wales I'd fully support a parkrun in this region, be it in Llanelli or Swansea. I think it would be fantastic to have a parkrun in this part of Wales - we've got great scenery, plenty of coastal paths & parks and many dedicated running clubs in the area.

I think setting this up would be a big commitment, but I'd be happy to help anyone who wanted to take this on (believe me if I was single I would, but my husband accuses me of being 'married' to running as it is!) image

Mattoo - would be great to hear how you are doing & to hear of any challenges/issues you faced in trying to set this up.

Cheers

• LTS I did contact parkrun and make tentative enquiries initially but has never gone further than that. Was discussing with a friend yesterday whilst out running as it happens and the issues as I see it are:

1. There are successful 5k series in both Swansea and Llanelli, series I enjoy myself and wouldn't like to detract from, at the least I think anyone organising it would need to talk to the organisers of these events. Llanelli may not be a problem as Tim at HBA I'm sure would be willing. Not sure about LC2 in Swansea though being run by the local council when it is them that would be investing some of the start up capital if following the PR business plan.
    2. Secondly it is still the organising, I haven't got the time to get it up and running or dedicate myself every Saturday morning to it although I would stil be happy to be as involved as I possibly could be. At the moment that is very little though with this challenge on the horizon for me next year http://breathefitnessandevents.wordpress.com/i-am-premier-league/

Do hope someone manages to get it off the ground though.

• It would be great as the facilities we have are fab. It really needs a club like SRR with a large number of members to take it forward. 1, 2, or 3 of us would never do it.
  • Or if in Swansea 3ms?
  • Is usually organised by 2 or 3 in my experience Kev....
  • Thanks both for your replies. Mattoo - thank you for that info - excellent & a good place to start with. Good point about the LC2...my friend works there so I might ask her advice.

RK - I'm now a member of 3M's, so will mention the idea to toher club members. I'm lucky to have a lot of running contacts in the area & hopefully know a few others who may be interested in taking helping organise one.

I think the starting point would be to decide - do we opt for Llanelli (& involve the likes of Tim from HBA & use the existing Llanelli Fusion 5k route) or do we set one up in Swansea, perhaps using the existing summer 5k route or an alternative route on one of the cycle paths? (there are excellent routes in the North of Swansea too - Gorseinon, Gowerton, Penllergaer & Clydach regions).

The Swansea bay 5k series is very popular & successful, but a big component of it is the cihldrens races, therefore I'd hope a Park run wouldn't detract too much from the race (& they'd be a good 3 days apart) but it is definitely worth thinking about.

Rk - more importantly when are you going to get yourself down to club training - come along! image

Mattoo - thanks again, v helpful & we certainly got a lot of thinking to do!

• Hi LTS - new job defo rules out club training I'm afraid.

Re Llanelli v Swansea I think that the Swansea route is harder to park, access etc? Llanelli however is better situated? I think ultimately though the decision would be more biased by which local authority would be more supportive and where founder members are located and or wish the run to be based.

I really hope someone has the time to take this forward.
  • I'm pleased to see this is still being considered. 

The park runs as far as I can see are partly to encourage those who otherwise wouldn't run to be able to do so in company and without being too pressured to be club type runners.

these people I'm sure would be able to provide some support. I would be willing to take my turn at marshalling etc. but not really in a position to commit to every week.

Can I suggest that a couple of laps around the lake in Llansamlet may be an option? (it may need somthing like 2 and a half laps).  Off road, a pleasant place and not much issue re parking?

Llanelli is not too far for people to travel however, and can help with people further west as well as those from Swansea, Neath, and Port Talbot.

• RK  image shame about the new job - long hours, long commute or both? hope you are still able to fit in running & hopefully see you along the Millenium coastal path in the future. How is the dog these days?

YoD - thanks. Great idea about the Fendrod lake. Plenty of parking, flat safe route & hopefully not too busy at 9am on a Saturday. Do you think the volume of geese/ducks which congregate by the car park may be a problem? (I wouldn't want a group of runners to scare them & vice versa). I think a 2 lap route could be feasible if you start from the car park, run along the track to opp the Renault garage & then re-enter the lake area opposite Life Gym & go on to complete the lap... Might try it this weekend to see how far it is.

It's such a shame they dont have any form of toilets or a kiosk near the lake (definitely caught me out in the past!) - I'm not sure if that may put any potential participants off?

Thanks for the info re: the running group. Will definitely get in contact with them to see what their views are. Also got a contact in the Life gym which may be useful image ...will post here in a couple of weeks with an update. Cheers.

• Just thought of another potential route, in NPT territory - Start/finish Pontardawe park, then across the river bridge & up cycle route 43 (Ystalyfera direction.) Not the most scenic route, but that part of the cycle path is quiet - it would also be safe, traffic free & in the spirit of a parkrun would start & finish in a park. Any thoughts?? Being close to the M4 this location would be accessible for those Carms & NPT way too.

Better do some work now image

• I'd be prepared to help out at a Llanelli Parkrun image
  • JD - how are you? Well done for the Elan Valley run at the weekend.

It looks like a course has already been approved (in theory) in Singleton park, Swansea, however I think there is definitely cause for a parkrun in Llanelli too & with the HBA team being based there & the leisure centre it would probably gain a lot of support. I think they could use the route they do the Fusion 5k's along.

Am going to spend the next few weeks drumming up support & potential volunteers for a parkrun in this region...watch this space image

• LTS- Hi! I'm watching too!

Other possibilities around Llanelli would include Parc Howard and Pembrey country park.
  • I think one of the key things for a parkrun is a cafe at the end for cake and tea, is all about the social side of things right?

My choice would be discovery centre at North Dock, was always my plan...

Am willing to get involved whatever is decided though LTS. I will canvas opinion amongst some Sospans and with Tim now too.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    oooh just found this thread! I'm interested.....
  • Tim at HBA has made it clear to me, in no uncertain terms, that a Llanelli parkrun would most definitely be stepping on his toes. For that reason guys I am (Duncan Bannatyne voice) OUT!

• Mattoo- think Tim needs to rethink IMHO. Parkrun is all about jturning non-runners into runners. Runners who are likely to enter HBA events.
  • jason d wrote (see)
    Mattoo- think Tim needs to rethink IMHO. Parkrun is all about jturning non-runners into runners. Runners who are likely to enter HBA events.

I agree with your thinking Jason and think for the HBA Series in general it would be a good thing with the numbers of runners in the area increasing.

With regard to their 5k races, I suppose HBA may think that why would people pay to enter the Fusion 5k on a Thursday night when they can Park Run for free on a Saturday?