The 2011 Marathon Tread

Comments

• Happy New Year all imageimageimage

Finally back online after the festive period. Had a good time, ate and drank too much so puts me in a good frame of mind to get back in the swing of things now image

Managed a few runs at Center Parcs over New Year, including a nice 12.5 miler around the country lanes from Crockerton to Horningsham past Shearwater Lake on new year's day.

Haven't caught up yet on all previous posts, but will do at some point when I'm not so tired!

Colder today than recently, but hey, running on tarmac/grass/mud rather than ice/snow makes one hell of a difference... although my Boxing Day run around Cwmcarn - following the Scenic 7 route - was very picturesque. 6-12 inches of powdery snow and all white and pristine. Awwwww image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Just over 14 miles this morning at 5:30 am lots of black ice about but ran to HR between 140 and 145 and 145 and 150 for second half legs feel great and very very happy as this is the biggest week since Feb/Mar last year, todays run gave me a total of 93.1 miles for the week image new week starts tomorrow for me with a shorted Sunday run as this is my recovery week, so far so good only 14 weeks to go now and only four more weeks base training before starting to add more tempo sessionsimage.

Jayc glad you had a great time away it sounds like you still managed to fit in some good sessions.

• Hi Jay

Managed 1.5m this morning. I still had a minor chest ache although not as bad as Thursday. It feels slightly bruised while running and is fine the second I stop. I will try again tomorrow and ring the doctors on Monday if tomorrow is not OK.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.

-----------

Mr Spoons,

I think I'd still go to the docs either way.

• Hi Jay. Sounds like a nice holiday.

Excellent weeks running NP.

Gym/swim session sorted. The day ahead awaits...
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Welcome Paddy, quite a few doing VLM on here. image

jason you are rotten!! image Well done on running on empty, some say it's good for you, just depends on the individual I guess.

More nice training NP, impressive mileage. Hope this week is a 55 for me. Great that you got out in those conditions. I had planned a run in a remote area (no phone signal) but lots of snow this morning so decided safer to give that a miss. Ended up doing my 20 on the treadmill which was fine but it's better to get out!!

Looks like a good plan AGF.

Good to see you back jayc.

Take it easy for a bit Mr Spoons.

F

• No pain  - great base mileage sir - what sort of time are you after?? - Was v happy with my 2.43 in Dublin. Hoping to improve in VLM. Nursing a hamstring strain at moment picked up in a recent xc race - but slowly getting back into it.

USB - had a few piri probs meself last year - stretching done the trick.- DTT - daily training thread.

Training in my plan is supposed to start proper on Monday - the first week or so will have to be eased in. I have a good few weeks before the injury so not to worried as long as it goes v soon.

Talk soon.

• Leg has been feeling a lot better today although got a bit achy by the end of the afternoon.  Opted to take the day off though as I thought a hill session could aggravate it and I would prefer to be able to do my 11 miles tomorrow.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening all-

NP- well done on mileageimage

Paddy- good luck with planimage

Mr S- I agree with HY4image

Bridget- sounds like a sensible decision. I'd take it steady on the LR tomorrow too...

2x 6ish miles for me today- all good. First 20 of this campaign due tomorrowimage

• I will Jason.  Bud has said steady and relaxed so I shall make sure I am able to sing along to my music image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Paddy thats a fantastic time and a massive improvement from 2009 which I see was another great time and sub 3hrs. I would be happy with 2:59 but I do have another time in my head if everything is 100% on the day. My pb is 3:02 which I did last year and this will be my last chance before the big 50. But there is a lot of people over 50 running sub 3 hrs. I liked the video from last years Dublin Marathon great for watching club mates.

USB not much in RW about the super six but plenty about another group of runners doing other marathons, think your in a couple of photosimage.

Jason nice running mate.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Just entered Chester and Snowdoniaimage

3 weeks apartimageimage

• NP - i think this issue would have gone to press before they announced the result.  I had a look while in Sainsbury's but haven't got mine through yet.
  • New to runners world and looking for a bit of advice. I have set myself a couple of challenges for this year the Leeds half marathon in May and the Chester marathon in October. I currently run twice a week, a 5-8k and a 10-15k.  I also cycle to work 4 or 5 times a week (when it's not snowy/icey), 20-30 miles per day.

I have been looking at training schedules for half and full marathons and they all seem to assume that you are not really doing any other exercise, unless they include a bit of cross training, especially on rest days when in reality I am likely to be cycling on rest days. 

Does anyone have any tips on the training schedule and how I should account for the cycling and other exercise?   

• Morning Andy and welcome. Most people (including myself generally feel running is the best training for running and X training will help your overall fitness and also reduce your chance of injury. There is a cyclist at my work who cycles loads and only runs around twice a week. He does the occasional half marathon at around 1:40 time. This is obviously built around his cycling training, although when I say he cycles loads I mean LOADS.
  • Update: went for a little jog this morning. I felt fine so finished up at 16.5 miles. I had a couple of very minor chest twinges so I'll ring the doc's tomorrow.
  • Hello Andy... Is it possible to cut out one cycle as you add one run? That might work?

Mr spoons... Nice long jog.. Hop all goes well at the docs....
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Hi Andy & welcome to the thread.

Mr Spoons,

Well done & good luck with the docs appointment.  Hopefully they should be able to get you in quickly.

• Hey Paddy, good to see you over here image

NP: wow, that is serious mileage. Respect.

Bridget: about time someone got back to you.

Hi Andy and welcome.

Another 19 miles d&d today. Was a truly rubbish run but it was my own fault as I did lots of things yesterday that you shouldn't do a day before a long run (hill reps, leg strength and lack of food). We were out and about most of the day and it was either bad food or none. As I'm trying to lose weight I opted for the latter. Bad mistake. Legs were sooo dead it was torture. Anyway, it's done. I just hope the next LSR goes better!

Do you guys take sports drink on the long runs? I wonder if I should - right now it's just water and no nutrition (can't stand gels image) but I think I may have to work on that a bit.

69 miles for me this week. Happy with that.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Just tried to drive & couldn't initially open the car door but once it was freed off could do.  Managed to get the seat belt on with some discomfort & turn the car on but when it came to moving the wheel had problems turning it to the right so that didn't progress any further.  As for typing with both hands that is proving to be very painful even for this short bit so back to the docs tomorrow (should be able to get an appointment fairly quickly) and one handed typing.

--------

Chickadee,

If I'm doing a lsr of 6 miles or more I will have a sports drink otherwise it's just water.

• Good luck at the doc hy4
    Well done with your long Run chick. It sounded like a tough one. Yep I use energy drink over 2 hours.

A solid 8 miles today. Happy with that!!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

Thanks.  I bet you're happy with the 8 miles.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

HY4 and Mr S- good luck at docs

Mr S- nice little jog!image

AGF- good run

Chick- nice running- all miles in the bankimage. I try to use the same sports drink as the event on LRs and gels.

20.33 for me today (20 lr and 0.33 warm down) 8.05 av pace for the 20image

• HY4 frustrating indeedimage

Hello Paddy, SL and Andyimage

Mr Spoons definitely worth getting checked out. Hope all is well.

chickadee at least you know why it didn't go well. I have decided to try and use something on my LSRs mainly because I don't want to suffer stomach problems again like I did at Newcastle. Although I think part of it was the stress beforehand but still I want to try and toughen my stomach up as it is something that I do seem to suffer with.

USB hope your niggle is improving.

Gave the parkrun a miss yesterday as the wind and rain made a lie in a better option and just went out for a steady run later. Two and a half hours this morning in much better conditions. The longest run since Newcastle and felt good. Total 59 miles for the week including my obligatory rest dayimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Weekly stats: miles run: 81.81, alcohol consumed: 0 units, weight: -4.25lbsimage  
  • The mileage is jacking up nicely for people on here image

My 49 sounds a bit poor really compared image

But - this isn't a "who can do the biggest mileage competition" ... Or is it....

Just water and gels for me now, as that's generally what I'm having in races. I will often have half before and half after though.
  • Did you decide on a schedule Mr Spoons or you own plan? Not just the miles but how you run them that is important I think.

Well done on the weight loss jasond - that is a lot in a week.

• Hi Zion - I'm still on my own to be honest. These schedules all look a bit constrictive to me. I do have a vague plan and I make sure I get in some intervals, hills, speedwork, long runs etc. I'm not very good at all that "I must do this session on Tuesday" type stuff. What do you do?
  • Sounds just like my plan. Only set session is my rest day on a Mondayimage The rest of the time I go by how I'm feeling, the weather to some extent and what life is throwing at me. Like you I have a rough idea of what I want to do but none of it is set in stone.
  • Well, due to recovering from in jury i managed only 17 miles this week including today's 10 miler. I had a half mara planned for next week but have had to write off as losing the week training, coupled with the injury recovery means that i dont want to do anything fast for another week or so.

For the coming week (as long as i get the go ahead from the rubberman tomorrow) i'll be concentrating on a few miles to get back to normal volume and then jump onto my plan at week two.

MP - youre not a detective by any chance are you??

Chick - nice to see you over here (and again, nice LSR).

Talk soon!!