Ultra Cost

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question really. I'd really like to do the MDS or Badwater one day, but I'm curious as to what sort of cost is involved to be able to do either. I've looked at as much information as I can about both on the relevant websites, but I want to know if there are any hidden costs to think about, and ideally what any of you guys recommend putting aside for the whole thing.

Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I think gaining a place in BW would be more problematic than the cost - as you have to have proven yourself in other ultras. You will have to pay airfare, and accommodation and also costs associated with your support team probably, and that will depend on whether you ahve your own or use of those that volunteer to crew.

Isnt entry about $750 or so? I would GUESS that you would need at least £2500 to cover everyrthing...a very rough guess I might add. I know a few who have done it, but never asked them about cost. One of them uses fetch regularly though

MdS - easier to get into I think.....but entry fees are massive....

• Super Gibo. I did MdS in 2006 so costs will have changed since then. At that time it was £2100 to enter. I think it is now £3000 but you can see easily by looking at the website.

I ran Badwater last year and can tell you that costs are a major issue. Firstly you have to have a crew and at least 1 support vehicle. Crew is between 2 and 6 people. You have to consider whether to get a locally sourced crew from the website who may be prepared to pay their own way, or whether you fly out with friends and pay for their accomodation. You will end up paying for the car. Hotels you need one night in Vegas and probably 4 - 5 in Death Valley/ Lone Pine for Before and After the race. These are not expensive but as I say if you pay for your crew, instead of $80 per night you'll be looking at twice that. You will also need to stock up on supplies at Wal mart (or a/n other) because you need 100+ litres of water and bags and bags of ice, plus food for during the race for you and the crew. I estimate I spent around £3000 but I paid for my crew hotel and had 2 cars (5 crew).

Entry: $800

Flight: £500 return to Vegas

Car Hire which is essential as you cannot race without a crew: £600 for the Friday - Wednesday (race start is Monday)

Hotels in Vegas (1 night) and Death Valley (4 nights) for you and your crew (2 - 6 people): £500

I think on a budget you could get it to work for as little as possible but the above costs you are not really going to be able to get away from. About £2100.

• Nick L is right, the Race Director Chris Kostman has raised the entry bar for 2011 again as well as reducing the overall time cut off from 60 hours to 48. You can see the details here:

http://www.badwater.com/reg.html

• Thanks guy's for the information.
    I've been on the sites for both races, and it does not look like I will be getting in this year or next at the moment, but at least that gives me the time to save up and plan everything I need.

Plus it will give me the time to get some other Ultra's under my belt as well. I'm hoping to do the Norfolk Coastal Ultra, 60 miler, in October this year, it's a new race, I think it's first one was last year, and it looks pretty good. and it's cheap image

I don't think I will be able to qualify for Badwater any time soon, but I am definitely going to work towards MDS.

Thanks again guy's
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    the coventry 40 in april is only £12 with full checkpoint support!