Gloucester Marathon

Comments

• hi folks, good to hear we're all in high spirits with just over a week to go.

I've just printed off the details from the site, agree not the most user friendly process and I'm not quite sure what they spend the entry fee on as it's not anything to do with pre-race info but i'm sure it will all be good on the day.

i can't work out what distances the drinks stations are at, and does anyone know if they provide energy drinks or is it just water? a nice cup of tea would be ideal but that might be too much to hope for!

good luck with your tapers and i hope to trot along with some of you on the day image

• Anyone know if it is clockwise and anti clockwise on the 7 mile loop? It says clockwise in instructions, but mile markers on map show anti clockwise.
  • Last year it was ran anti-clockwise. Would assume that is a typo.

• Jill can't remember the distance between drinks stations last year, but there seemed to be sufficient with both water and energy drinks in cups.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I seem to remember there were two drinks stations at opposite ends of the loop - one at Elmore and one at Longney.  Not sure about energy drink - I always carry my own in any case.  I'm sure you'll find the route is anticlockwise around the loop.

I'd forgotten about the dramatic start for the 50K.  This is as it was in 2009 (50K not run in 2010).  You have to quickly fall in behind the race car just as you see the marathon leading group belting towards you.  The big danger is trying to keep up with the marathon runners!

• Woody, yeah a few set backs so I'll use this as a training run for the next 1, dutchy, then Taunton, London, shakephere, Stockholm etc, got loads lined up this year all a base for Berlin. lob a few Halfs and 10ks in for speedwork then hopefully it will go to plan, I hate training for 1 race and don't do speed work or high mileage, I rely on x training and regular races.

Think your doing the right thing with x country always good to do a short fast race day before a long run and it will build strength. good luck on the 3.15 in London, I find London or any big city marathon hard for a time coz you always end up doing 26.6-27m due to the crowds, at least like this race we can run the blue line. I am a big believer in x training, makes you stronger, especially for endurance races.
  • Gary/Sean - I agree - it was anti-clockwise last year.

I am really pleased it's on the same Longney/Epney loop as last year.  It's a nice course.  All the Glos AC events seem to have been driven elsewhere by an unfriendly attitude from a minority of the locals. So let's keep it tidy and not upset any of the residents, folks!

• I am all for cross training. Although, I am slightly biased, as I am a triathlete really. Reduces wear and tear on your body and exercises additional muscles that would not get used in single sport athletes. It has made a change to only train for this event over winter. Back to normal after this, well for a while anyway, I have entered Edinburgh Marathon. I'm also considering Snowdonia.
    Hoping for Sub 3 hours. Think I might fade in the last few miles. This is uncharted territory for me.
    See you on the start line. I guess I will be the only one wearing Manchester Tri Colours.

• Muzza, Gary think we are more or less singing from the same hymn sheet . I to plan to run less marathons and incorporate more swimming and biking in an attempt to knock an hour off last years IM time.
  • I am planning on more marathons but less running miles. Mixing training up is the way forward for me, I know I can't do more than 25 a week, so make it up on spin bike, swim, ski machine etc.
  • I still have a spare room at the Travelodge in Gloucester for £29 if anyone is needing some accomadtion.

Happy running
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Looks like a triathletes training camp

I'm just trotting round the 50km
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi Gobi.  So would I have been, only at a slower trot than you!  But have been out of running for 2+ months with achilles tendonitis.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Rex. Is it improving ?
  • Bad news Rex, takes time for that injury! Hope it's not to serious.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    No ruptures, just  bad pain and tight calf muscles.  Can't run at the moment.  Can hardly walk properly.  I'm taking it easy  -  I don't want to make it worse by aggravating it - and having deep tissue massages which are outrageously painful. A slow improvement, I think.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Rex - deep tissue is torture indeed. See you soon, maybe Snowdon this year.
  • Hi all,

I've signed up for this one again after doing the marathon and 50k there for the first time last year. Infact they were my first at those distances. Thoroughly enjoyed the events last year and was hoping to improve on my 4.40 50k time this year. Due to those weeks of snow and ice my training hasn't gone as i would have liked it to so i find myself running a 22 or 24 mile run in the morning. Not the best kind of tapering!!

If i remember correctly, did we not have coaches to take us back to the sports center after the marathon? Is this the plan for the 50k this year also?  I don't recall reading that buses have been laid on.  I sort of feel like i know some of you guys after scrolling thru this thread and previous race threads that we have completed in. Would be nice to put some faces to the names on the day. It's always a bit of an anxious wait hanging around before the start.

Hoping to get around under the 5hrs cut off although really i want to do a pb. Here's hoping.

Take care all x

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi, Vicky.  Good luck with PB attempt, but winter training not been much good for most people.  Says shuttle bus every 20 mins from Peregrine Close (over bridge on LHS).  Or 15 min or so walk.

Gobi - yes, I'll be at Snowdonia.  Also Dingle and Abingdon this year.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    excellent, maybe this year Iwill enter in time :¬)
  • T Rex, if the deep massage hurts ya getting a good one worth while, keep it going. Kills but its the most important part of training. Hopefully see u at Abingdon and Snowdonia, Usually do dartmoor Vale on same day as Abingdon but I am planning on going for a PB in Berlin so gonna use Abingdon a fast backup incase it goes flat in Berlin.

Vicky, good luck on PB, im only doing marathon, saving my ultra of the year for Dartmoor Discovery, LOVE IT!!

Gobi, Snowdonia entries are open now.

• well i've been getting in as much training as possible since my flu and hope to finish ok but don't think it will be wise pushing for a pb. did 15 last sunday, spin and run 4 times this week with 12 today and spin tomorrow, maybe run wednesday or thursday just to keep the legs spinning over then rest for a couple of days.

Having the 3 weeks off realy knocked it out of me and my confidence aswell.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Paul.

• Paul, looks like were in same boat, confidence thing, I am just gonna start as I would like to do and make a decision early either way on how it's going, always another marathon. Just get through as comfortable as we can
  • Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'll be on the start line but not in the greatest shape- like most of us training wasn't as good as expected during the winter so it's a case of taper this week properly, turn up on the day and see what happens!

I'm actually doing this as my last very long run for the London Ultra 50K in Feb so my main goal is to get around maintaining a constant steady pace. I've done two 20 milers- but they jumped straight from a 12 miler in tthe snow so no gradual build up with 14, 16, 18 milers image. Did a 12 miler yesterday and that's it now. Just a couple of short runs this week. In my build up to VLM I was much more sensible image

Looking forward to it though- just running a different route will be interesting!

• Hi Ladyfe not seen or heard from you since IM would be good to catch up, if I miss you all the best.

T Rex  have you tried Eccentric Achilles tendon / calf exercise?  it worked wonders for mine, I started in the second week after the injury and was fit enough to run Dublin 4 weeks later. Unfortunately the website I got the exercise from is down at the moment but this is similar to the  type of exercise I did. The web site I followed said if the exercise wasn't painful  add weights in a back pack.  Good luck and I hope you are back at it soon.

Good luck with the PB Vicky

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Thanks for input, woody2run.  I'm gradually increasing my knowledge base on this injury and grateful for any advice.  Contracting the tendon/calf muscles or standing on tip toe was the very thing my physio told me to avoid doing!  In any case pain from the tendon prevents me balancing on tip toe on the injured foot, even leaning against a wall.  Whatever muscles needed for that exercise don't seem to work.  I'll look at your "proper" website if you'd kindly post a link when it's back up and running.

Best wishes to all runners on Sunday.

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Hi woody!  I've been busy since IM. I have a blog on realbuzz through which I gradually made a lot more contacts and we also swap training news via facebook!  I carried on training for the Brentwood marathon but had to pull out a few days before due to an achilles injury which was a bit pantsimage. First ever running injury. I found the 'stair exercises very good for that. Since then I've run a 15K and got a pb miraculously. But then concentrated on rebuilding mileage for my A race the London Ultra. Of course The Snow happened so it didn't go as smoothly as wanted. I decided to enter the Glos marathon as it fits in nicely with the long run schedule for the ultra.

I'm also planning to do Grizzly in March and Edinburgh marathon in May....

My return to IM won't be until next year at the earliest...still need to sort out my swimming properly!

• might come along and spectate and cheer u all on

see hows things go

• Cheers MnP will be good to see you both image

T Rrex the website is being updated if it comes back on I will post it, failing that, I did print off the info so could scan and email to you if you wish.

Sorry to hear about the injury but glad you have been busy Ladyfe, good luck with all your races and I'm sure you have got it in you to master swimming .

• Its looking like the weather conditions could be good sunday!! fingers crossed!