Sheffield social

Comments

• the (easter) eggyptian toe wrote (see)
    BB - They recommend a mile or 10% each week with the occasional gateau.

Hmm, gateau - well deserved after a run I think image (not Black Forest though image).

ET - how was the weekend in Hayfield?  Do any running?

• Ive never been so popular! image thanks for the offers guys, but I think I will pass!

I am REALLY tired now and still have over 2 hours til Governors meeting, which then apparently won't finish til almost 8pm! Then a core session and swim with a pal from the tri club. He said he's come take a look at my stroke as he's made massive improvements on his in a 'self-taught' way so hope he can help me not be so shit anymore! I am ridiculously slow! Having my tea here so I have energy to swim then when I get home I can dry my hair and crawl into bed to (hopefully) sleep. PPA afternoon tomorrow thank god!

Is it nearly pay day yet??

I'll tell you something - when you're feeling really crap, it really is the best thing being a teacher. Kids have had me in stitches today - I love 'em! As hard/frustrating/tiring (etc) as this job is, it's also the best job in the world!

• BB- i would say a mile a week and seeing how that goes. When your coming back you really do need to listen to your body. I have in the past tried to come back too fast too soon and paid for it. Saying that s have not been too injured for a while.

On the Injury front, asked bro in law to help me out at work with some tower scaffold to fix a snapped tension cabls and get lost footballs off the roof. Got wire done and byron decided to use aluminum ladder Instead for ball retrieval. Ladder snapped when he was a top of it. He fell and has badly broken wrist. Last seen on a spinal board high on morphine and gas &air.

I feel guilty because it should have been me going up said ladder.
  • Aitch! wrote (see)

Ive never been so popular! image thanks for the offers guys, but I think I will pass!

There's gratitude for you.

Anyone else need any of my "help"?

• Hope brother in law is OK Giro sounds a nasty fall

Not ran for 3 days so going to run tonight need to get the miles in for TT at the end of the month.

BB increase your mileage for about 4 weeks then have a step back or rest week doing a lower weeks milage then start again at aroud the max mileage you reached and repeat the process.

You will also need to look at the length of your long run as this should also be increasing as part of your weekly increase

• Eyup lads and lasses! image

No time to read back as I've been interviewing people all day for academic mentor positions on the module I'm developing, giving follow-up feedback and doing paperwork.

Tiring day, but it was actually really nice to meet some lovely people in the interviews -  postgrad students with a real passion for learning, the subject we're teaching, and for helping other students. image

Shit.  A whole week out of marathon training so far.image

Still have gunky lungs, blocked nose, a cough, a sore throat and slight fever.

Really hope I'm well enough to get out for a run come Thursday evening, but really not well enough right now. image

Good thing, at least, was that I was slightly ahead of schedule, so i think one week of slippage this early in the plan isn't too bad...

Ouch, GIRO - hope B-i-L is okay!  Sounds nasty! image

(((Hugs))) to injured, poorly, tired, stressed or under pressure peeps.

Hope you get some better sleep soon, Aitch - I completely sympathise as I get bouts of horrendous insomnia from time to time.

Will try and catch up properly with the rest of yez another time... image

• Aitch - sorry if my post sounded negative about the diet.  If it's making you feel good then that's great, but just thought it would we worth working out how many grams of carbs you're getting a day and comparing that to figures I gave.  I'm sure it would be possible to maintain the principles of the diet but increase carbs if needed... hence I mentioned sweet potatoes!

BionicBetty wrote (see)

Afternoon all

Aitch.....I feel better for cutting out bread, though did have 2 small pieces of garlic bread with my spag bol. I haven't had that 2pm slump or bloated tum since

I asked earlier but think it got missed about increasing my milege. I've been doing 3-5 miles every other day on average & my legs have been fine, so when & by how far do I increase it?

BB - when I increased up to half mara last year I did 1x 3-4 mile run 1x5-6 mile run and 1 longer run which increased (as ET said) by 1 mile or 10% (in time) each week.  Every 4th week I cut my total weekly running time in half for a 'recovery week'  then picked it up again starting somewhere between distances/times of 2nd & 3rd weeks and building.

• Evening all,

Aitch - I recently had insomnia but it went after the weekend I was supposed to be running the Norwich HM, must have been subconciously stressed about it!  I used some herbal tablets which helped a bit..  Hope it sorts itself out.

ET - congrats we had 2 under 2 for a while (18mo gap)!  I actually found it easier than the first 0-6mo of DD1 on her own because  DD2 was such an easy baby and DD1 turned into a fab toddler after all the reflux issues got sorted!  I do sometimes go via Wreakes Lane and if it's a longish run sometimes go back via Cowley Lane (but not in the dark - found it waaay too scary last time).  This route was along  Carr lane to Stubley Lane and back to Sheffield, bit of faffing around norton and back to Dronfield along the same route and then back along Holmsfield Rd to home (after yet more faffing to increase miles!)

Thinking it's time I had a recovery week so may be at the parkrun - have barcode now!!

Hope B-i-Ls and other injured people are on the mend.

• BB - read recently that a mile per run is the way to go - I like the simplicity of that, but if you're mileage is low then obvoiously that could be quite a big step up. Reckon the thinking  is to spread the increase in your mileage over each run - don't whack it on to just one of them.

Get in RL! Another one for my leader board (but don't knock me off my slot or I'll never talk to you again image)

Len (prev. YL) wrote (see)
    Mozzy wrote (see)
    I'll sleep with you too Aitchi if you think it will help.
    Oh well if we're all joining in, yeah! What the heck! image

Ha ha ha!!! lol image

• Evenin!

PJAZ wrote (see)
    the (easter) eggyptian toe wrote (see)
    BB - They recommend a mile or 10% each week with the occasional gateau.

ET - how was the weekend in Hayfield?  Do any running?

Great thanks, Diddz. Felt much better being away from the building site that is our home; didn`t realise how much it was affecting the 3 of us. Did a fair bit of walking with little un in back carrier thingy includinga visit to Chestnut Centre where we gawped at otters and owls.

Had first run tonight for 3 days, my longest time without running for a long time. My legs felt great and made me realise how tired they must have been after all the gym stuff and plodding. Did a nippy 6 miles and saw lots of others running. image

• Thanks everyone.  so If I stick to running every other day, which is like 4 times a week then maybe something like 1/4 mile added onto each run?  I'm so wary of giving myself grief again in my lower leg plus if I over do it with the fibro, it wipes me out for days.  At the mo, my longer run is 6-7 miles.  I'll have a go at increasing it next week.  I just want to make sure I do it right this time
  • I`d say that you ought to add the distance to your long run rather than putting a bit onto each one. Doing runs over an hour has lots of benefits.

Linds - looking forward to it! Still got quite a bit of sorting out to do tbh!

• Arrrggghhhh

Mozzy wrote (see)

Get in RL! Another one for my leader board (but don't knock me off my slot or I'll never talk to you again image)

No worries of that now Moz - DH has just reminded me he's off to Carlisle this weekend so no daddy = no babysitter = no parkrun image.  I'd better be careful signing up for things otherwise I'm going to need to change the name to sicknote!

• Spinning tonight image No sign of gym girl #2 though image

Might try the yellow shoes running into work in the morning.

• What are the yellow shoes Baz?

BB - I agree with ET, you'll benefit more by improving long run gradually with time than adding a quarter mile to your midweek runs. As your pace improves with time you will find you can fit longer midweek runs into the same amount of time.

Looks like I've been accepted into Long Mynd - the 1st round of the English Fell Champs, eek! image

• the (easter) eggyptian toe wrote (see)

I`d say that you ought to add the distance to your long run rather than putting a bit onto each one. Doing runs over an hour has lots of benefits.

Linds - looking forward to it! Still got quite a bit of sorting out to do tbh!

But not if you're coming back from injury ET. Build up first then she can vary the runs and get a decent long run in there. May be that that happens fairly quickly but best to play it safe at first I reckon. A little bit added on to each run is gonna be less of a shock to the potentially niggly bits than 'BAM!' whacking it on to one run.

EDIT - X post with Stu - would agree if simply building up mileage but not post injury. If no niggles after a week or two then got for it on long run!

• I don't reckon that adding a mile or so to the long run every couple of weeks would be too much of a shock to the system would it Mozzy?
  • Dunno to be fair - depends where you're coming from - how much you're increasing and what your niggle is I guess! Just each return to running programme I've ever done has spread the increase over each run initially. Just makes sense to me to do that at first and see how you go then yeah - get a long run in!
  • McStu wrote (see)

What are the yellow shoes Baz?

BB - I agree with ET, you'll benefit more by improving long run gradually with time than adding a quarter mile to your midweek runs. As your pace improves with time you will find you can fit longer midweek runs into the same amount of time.

Looks like I've been accepted into Long Mynd - the 1st round of the English Fell Champs, eek! image

Nice one Mc Stu image

I personally like to increase both my weekly miles and my long run but I think it is about knowing what your body can cope with. I also find that my fitness increases fairly quickly after injury so I can pick up the mileage more as the weeks go by. However in BB's case she also has medical stuff to consider so I think a cautious long term view is the best.

• I didn't add to my mid week runs, just increased long run at weekend, in my vit training.
    My foot was pretty fooked, and it coped (I won't say it was comfortable on some of the runs, but it was bearable).  I think the key is not adding more than 10% so initially adding a mile on to one run may be a bit much for some, hence I was told to use time.

I have been told, the body only understands effort & time, I think that's pretty sound, the milage is just nice to know not something to get too focused on initially.

We're all going on a ski-ing holiday, no more working for a week or two......

• Woohoo we're all going on a skiing holiday! imageimage

Like the emphasis on effort / time Bex, makes sense.

• Am even more confused now lol image   Will sleep on it & see what I come up with in the morning image

Thanks everyone image

• BB - none of us EVER take our own advice! Just suck it and see - everyone is different. I think the key is build up GRADUALLY. We'd probably all agree on that!

Morning dudes image

• Oh BB - just one other thing - make sure you have a rest week every 4th week - take your mileage down by about 30%. I've found that 30mpw - never running on consecutive days and having a rest week keeps me injury free. Sometimes I need a rest week on week 3 (recent troubles were because I devaited from that).
  • Morning folks image

I agree with Mozzy that they main thing is to build up gradually just we all  do it in dfferenent ways. Just remember to listen to your body for pai, overtiredness etc as signs you are doing to much and don't be afraid to cut back (indeed cut back every few weeks as a rest week)(oops cross post with Mozzy - need to type quickerimage)

Just over 6 miles yesterday evening and on the road. Enjoyed the run and felt good. Ran at around 8:10 mile pace and it felt comfortable. Calf still giving odd twinge but no problems. Plan today is for around 10 miles. Doing this as loops on the old pit so I am not to far from home if I need to cut it short.

Improtant day today, if the run goes well then I will be running the Tigger next weekend.

• Sheils-Sheils- ✭✭✭

Morning all image

I had one of those runs last night- you know the one, you really, really, really DON'T want to go. So you do go- and actually quite enjoy it and feel more awake afterwards than before (well breifly anyway).

So Bex, McStu, that's exciting- when are we going? I better start packingimage

• Morning Campers!

da-da-daa da-da-daa da-da-daa.....

Just can't get it out of my head, work are going to be so sick of me by the end of the week, I'm like a child who's had a bumper pack of Haribo!

Good Luck with the run today riggsy... think it'll be a swim for me, ready for Damflask part II tomorrow,

• Sheila - get your bags packed (the items to be packed in mine are currently slung over the bed in the spare room) .... McStu will pick you up at 2:00 sunday morning, we're off to Serre Chevalier image
  • Morning all.

What a long day yesterday! I survived though and in good news - I slept really well and even had a lie in til 7am! Hurrah!

My pal from the tri club came to watch me swim last night and help me with my stroke. He's told me what I am doing wrong and what I need to work out so I'm re-writing some swim sets to put more focussed drills in and he's given me some specific core work to do as well which he thinkgs will help. So that's good. Apparently my swim stroke is not quite as horrendous and disasterous as I think it is! Lots to work on but hopefully it will all come good.

Just a morning to survive then I am outta here. Was going to head outside on the bike this afternoon rather than turbo but it's rather frosty so not sure whether that's wise. See how the ground is in a bit.