Beachy Head Marathon

helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
Anyone else getting in there early for the annual snackathon interrupted by the odd hill?image

Comments

• Helly d

I'll be joining you, however, I'm determined not to eat as many mars bars this time.

AHA

• ooops me too image Don't tell Toucs image
  • Happychat - this event is addictive image
  • I did it a couple of years ago and couldn't see a blooming thing it was so foggy and wet.  Hopefully there'll be some views this year image
  • is this open already??

my year to marshall again methinks and hurl abuse at people
  • fat buddah - I will give you a big hug again image
  • I'm also in - can't wait after missing last year's event due to pulled hamstring.  Wrecklessly decided to double it with Greensands Marathon, but at least have plenty of time to get in some sort of shape.
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭

hello oh ye usual suspects

i am in as usual thuogh planning to also do snowdonia the week after

• Does this fill up quick?  I'm thinking about it but need to finalise other dates around the same time first.
  • it fills up quicker every year - you're safe for a couple of weeks yet but don't hang around.

but there's usually an active number swap after closure when people drop out - the organisers allow that if you let them know the details for their records
  • I've had 2 acknowledgements of payment - but only one reference number.  Bit worried as I tried to pay by credit card and was twice rejected for unknown reasons so hoping that one of these might have actually gone through - ah well twice round the course might be funimage.
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Bear B.Hind - What internet browser are you using? I remember having problems in the past using Firefox so reverted to Internet Explorer for online payments via RW.

Race organisers are usually fairly approachable  on this if you want to ask, otherwise there will always be people wanting a number nearer the time if you get two. 

• Thankshelly d - it was Firefox - although I've never had a problem before.  Will have to wait and see if charged twice.  Mind you one year I was so eager I entered online, then forgot and entered again via snail mail!image
  • Beachy Head and Snowdonia now entered! How I love them so.

Problem is, it makes me wish my life away each year. Hurry up October, or not.
  • i ve had same problem with firefox today,hopefully i didnt pay twice.it is happened first time anyway
  • I had two confirmations too and I'm on IE and the payment wen through ok, so it could be a glitch in RW's system rather than the payment process
  • Im in. Have not done this since 2008 and was my comeback marathon having last done one in 2000. From memory it is still the best overall mara i have ever done, don't think i will be troubling Stuart Mills with my finishing time!!
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    You've got several months to train mr iimage Doing Greensands as  well this year? Could be a cracking weekend. I'll be entering that as soon as I have the finances for some multiple race entries.
  • Wotcha Helly,

Long time no post, are you well ?

Not for me this year I'm afraid, finances dictate a more local approach to races.

That said I'm thinking about it next year ..... image

• I did swear  blind I'd not put myself through the torture of Beachy again.  Guess what?!  God, it'd be cheaper, and less painful, to just buy a sossidge roll image

Lo MB, how's things?

• Kaz - do I take it you have entered again image I want a course best this year. So mustn't not spend too much time talking at Check Point 3 and and eating sausage rolls.
  • Am I the only person to be fed up that after last year's none too brilliant attempt toget the entrance numbers right and the finish times recordced Beachy is now becoming a 'normal' marathon with chip timing and  registration on the day (and why is that closing at 8.30?)?

Am I the only person to be really shocked at the outragous hike in entry fees to cover this? (And why there was all that trouble over last year's finish times/numbers I can't imaginme - the software to cope with this has been around for years.).

I think I may have done it for the last time. It's the Farnham Pilgrim for me instead :  shame, cos I've loved this event and done it for years.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Hello there MB. I'm fine, had  a good year run-wise after an early injury but am now  a bit broke and undecided. Haven't got my new year head  on yet.

You're considering doing Beachy again?? Anyone would think you actually enjojed this running lark image

• Well, this is my first post on the RW forumimage

Just entered myself & partner for Beachey Head in October - we've both done a few half marathons but thats it although walk and run in that area anyway so have a good idea whats in store!

• Ultra Kazzaaaaah!! wrote (see)

I did swear  blind I'd not put myself through the torture of Beachy again.  Guess what?!  God, it'd be cheaper, and less painful, to just buy a sossidge roll image

Lo MB, how's things?

I'm fine thanks Kaz, just taking a year off running Marathons to try and lose a bit of weight and strengthen the abs.

Going to concentrate on the Longmynd Hike walk (50miles), and local races this year.

Next will try for London (5th time), White Peak, and maybe Beachy.

Depends on finances really.

helly d wrote (see)

Hello there MB. I'm fine, had  a good year run-wise after an early injury but am now  a bit broke and undecided. Haven't got my new year head  on yet.

You're considering doing Beachy again?? Anyone would think you actually enjojed this running lark image

I only did it as a walker last time, need to run it next time to fully appreciate how tough it is.

I do enjoy running, problem is my back doesn't, and I still can't get past 14 miles before having to stop and walk.

And I know what you mean about broke, I did 17 Marathons last year (36 races in all), and am a bit short of dosh this year (oh and got married as well).

So local only this year (apart from one or two walks in the peaks).

Good luck though.

• very disappointed the race is online only - a massive hike in entry fee, and no provision for people without internet access or credit / debit cards, so effectively excluding a large number of people from the event

not very inclusive from the council.
  • Disagree Too Much Water. If a person can haul themselves around Beachy then they can get themselves to a library to access the internet. I personally don't know anyone who does not have a debit card, let alone a large number of people. The price has gone up, but still represents good value in my opinion.

Edited to say that if I was desperate to enter this and did not have a credit/debit card then I would give the cash to someone who did and get them to enter for me on their home computer ... simples. What are friends for?

Hope you enter and have a fab day.