Hampshire Chronicle Romsey 5

Well gentle folk now that the race has been moved off the roads and onto the Broadlands estate, with 3 laps to complete, do we think this local event is still worth attending?

I'm thinking Gosport Half Marathon here, they managed to completely destroy the event by re-locating it and trying to keep it off the roads as much as possible.

Are we up for three times around the estate?

Comments

• I've done the Gosport Half and for a race that "they managed to completely destroy" (nasty split infinitive BTW), it was extremely popular (entries closed as full) extremely well marshalled (smiling faces, positive comments, encouragement and applause from all in spite of bleak weather), extremely well supported (thanks to the locals who came out of their houses and stopped on the prom to applaud as we ran by), efficient and speedy bag drop-off and pick-up and, if they interest you, impressive goody bag.

If you don't think it's worth going, then don't.

• I don't mind the odd split infinitive; most modern guides to English grammar don't raise objections to their use, so we can move on from that one.  Although I've just checked my copy of Longmans circa 2002, and the subject is mentioned.

Have you had the pleasure of both routes old and new?

The old route through the town was much better.  The race is poopular, however I feel this is a reflection of the growth of our sport and the subsequent demand for races, rather than this race being exceptional.

• Gosport Half was radically changed by the change in route.  I prefered the old route, but have no problems with the new route as it is safer.

I've never done Romsey as it has always clashed with other stuff, but I'm not sure I like the idea of three laps of a park.  I guess it depends on the type of park.  Is it tarmac? A beautiful park?  Those are important to me.

Netley 10k is three laps but in a beautiful setting so it is tolerable.  But I'm a slow runner and tend to get lapped towards the end of the first lap.  Doing three laps of a shorter course could be extremely demotivating for me.

• Is the course measured? There's no mention of it here http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/search-ms.php

I'd love to run in broadlands, and I don't mind the laps (I'm a middle distance track runner first and foremost!!!) but if it's not certified, it does rather take the edge off my enthusiasm...
  • The previous route started and finished in an industrial estate, ran through a housing estate, and along a "main" road.

It was fun but not inspired.

The new route runs in the broad lands estate which is not public and could be very pleasant.

I will have a go tomorrow and see which is preferable.

At least with 5 miles if it is poor it is over quickly!
  • Regardless of my opening statement I still intend to run the race, it fits in nicely with marathon training.

Whilst the old route was uninspiring it had the advantage of being one lap, and with most of the untis on the industrial estate being closed we pretty much had the space to ourselves.

Good luck to all tomorrow, and lets hope the rain stays away,

• The last time I ran in Romsey was in 1990, when it was 10k. I am approaching this race with an open mind.
  • FANTASTIC New PB for 5 miles! enjoyed the fact that it was traffic free too!
  • It was a good run. Laps will never motivate tho!
  • I was pleasantly surprised, and quite enjoyed the race. My Garmin "died" on the start line, but luckily, I was wearing my Nike running watch on the other wrist, so was able to clock each mile as I passed the markers. Was the course an accurate 5 miles, as many runners seem surprised at their times?
  • Cracking race - fantastic course - great atmosphere.  Seemed to be executed by about three people, but then it all went perfectly well, so what does that matter?! 

I really noticed the improved air quality too - being away from traffic.

Anyway - results are up: http://www.conceptsport.co.uk/resources/uploaded/Romsey_5_Results_2011(1).htm ... although slightly strangely with no times - I'm sure they'll be added soon.

Will be back for this one next year..

• Well I'm pleasantly surprised.  3 times around wasn't too bad, and gave my girlfriend a chance to give me more support than normal, if you were there she was the loud one!

I was surprised by not being allowed onto the grounds till 9.30, it meant that some people statred their warm up around the roads.

Other than that there was a good mix of runners, and it was flat, so should appeal to all runners, although it did mean that slower runners were lapped which could be disheartening for them.

All in all a good race,

• Disappointed by the lack of times on the results.
  • Times are now included on the results pageimage
  • Hi Terry - good to see you still easily beating me to the line. 

The Racing Snake Hodge sends his sub 3 regards image  

I enjoyed this run - though I much prefer an 'out and back'  route to laps....not as dreary as I'd feared and if there was so much as an incline I didn't find it....fast and flat in perfect weather.

Winchester 10K looming !

Roger

• Hi Roger, glad to see that you are still running and that you enjoyed the race. It was better than I had expected, but like you, I don't like repetitive laps. It was a bit too flat for my liking, as I prefer races with hills.

I keep in regular touch with Tony, who is in strict training for the Brighton Marathon.

My next race is the Exbury 10K.

Terry