Surrey Spitfire 20 & Tempest 10

ToucsToucs ✭✭✭
Anyone doing this?  Voted 2nd best 20miler last year (Runner's World).  Measured course and ideal for the Spring Marathon.

Comments

• I've booked up for it, but not done it previously.  Looked like a less boring way of doing a 20m training run before my Brighton marathon.  Slightly worried about the 'undulating' part, but should be interesting.
  • i have a race entry but due to injury can't run. If anyone is interested  please respond to this with contact info.
  • I'm in, but have never done the race before.   IMHO, undulating can be faster than flat, so we shall see.
  • I am doing this and finally my race number arrived today. Apparently no MP3 players allowed. Had originally entered a while back thinking it was a 10k!!!! Should be ok for a 10 miler fingers crossed.
  • At least it is not listed as hilly but there is no profile with the map, but at least we will know what us coming on the second lap if you are doing the 20.
  • I've read elsewhere that the aerodrome part is flat, but outside it is undulating.   Bring it on!
  • Sir C, correct, airfield is pretty windy too.
  • It cannot be more exposed than last week's Essex 20!
  • im doing the Tempest 20  2morrow and i can see that they are saying. The sat nav takes you to the wrong side of the aerodrome.

Does any won now a road or other postcode that will get me to the right part?

your thanfully

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    You need to come in from Stovolds Hill Wayne.  Linky thing to google maps
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

I love this event & course so I`ll be there tomorrow for another 2 laps.

(Was asked today of you can enter the 10 on the day - I see that you can enter the 20 but anyone know about the 10 - thanks?

• Thanx for that Happychap

If i go down Stovolds Hill  will that then lead me to the aerodrome?? how far

yours thankfully 

• Wish I was doing this one but unfortunately will have to do it next year instead - have a good one Happychap and Toucs and see you both soon - I shall be in your shop withing the next few weeks I think image
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    There are places for the Tempest 10 on the day.
  • Well done to everyone who organised this event.   I did it for the first time this morning and thought it was well organised, while retaining a challenge.   I was a little surprised at how few people around me seemed to be doing the 10-miler, but it made for a far more sociable second lap than I had expected.   My thanks to Scotty for the fast start and to Hannah and Sarah from the Stragglers for keeping me going for a good 13 miles; this is definitely a race I shall return to in the future.   If I had to suggest one small improvement. it would be the provision of a gent's urinal at the start to reduce the length of some of the toilet queues.
  • Yeah agree..... this was a well organised race. undulating NO... hilly YES but a good challenge! Weather was great too. Think this could become a popular race.Perfect for a pre London run!

The lack of toilets was a problem did u see the queue still as the race started and yeah there was a urinal or two for the boys..... didnt help me much tho!!image

• There were two urinals with no queues for us boys, which was good! Maybe in the other queue to the one you were in? Toilets are always a problem at races but from my (admittedly limited) experience there were more toilets per runner than I have seen at some races. But as ever, more are always better.

I only did the 10, was like above surprised how many did the 20 compared to the 10, I guess I should just toughen up a bit next time!

I really enjoyed the course, from my normal running around Epsom downs I felt the course was pretty flat, only one steepish uphill and that was over very quickly, plus a few gentle uphill drags, but I guess stuff like that is all relative. I like a few undulations, keeps things interesting and I get a rest and some momentum on the downhills!

Compared to the last 10 mile I did (Tadworth 10) I PB'd by about 7 or 8 minutes so very pleased with that. I had planned to run at 1.30 pace but clearly I did 1.20 pace! image

Thanks to all involved, will be back for the 20 next year. Maybe! 

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Well done Gladys, that's a great time, training looks like it's paying off? image
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

And thank you to everyone who turned up yesterday to run the event.  image

The toilet thingy is always an interesting one.  We provide twice as many as the recommended guidelines, including urinals.  The last minute queues yesterday were partly caused by a lot of people turning up late (relying on their Sat navs despite being advised not to?)

We've also had two people review that measure the course short with their Garmin.  It's an BARR accurately measured course so we have definitive proof that Garmins are not always right image 

• Yeah it was short on my garmin too but as your 20 came sooner i really didnt care at all!

Suggest maybe some signs in the village to the start as not everybody has sat nav!

• Just so you know when I finished lap 1 my garmin read 10.09 miles and when I finished lap 2 it read bang on 20.00 miles.  And no, I didn't short cut the second lap!  I even stayed left of the cones on the race track at about 11.5 miles whilst everyone else cut across image

I did lose signal a couple of times between 4/14 and 6/16 miles so I suspect that lead to the different readings per lap.

Great race though and a real confidence booster ahead of London in 5 weeks, thanks to all concerned for the organisation and to the marshalls standing out in the rain for close to 4 hours in some cases I suspect, all with words of encouragement along the way.

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    In case you haven't found them yet the results are here. image
  • I really enjoyed this event, Did the 10 mile race and I too was surprised how the majority of people were doing 20 miles.

Talked to a couple of chaps from Southwater (where I live) and Horsham who were doing the full 20 miles. Hope they got the times they wanted.

Very friendly race, weather was a bit dodgy at the start,buit once we were running didn't notice.

My Garmin said 10.06 miles so no issue with distance. I actually think that the distance will allways vary between difffent individual due to the different line people take around the course.

Really pleased with my time of 1.17 and will be back to get it under 1.15 next time. The hills were quite hard,

Grat medal as well.
  • Had a great day yesterday. Easy to find coming from the M25/A3 direction - I just put Dunsfold in the sat-nav then followed the signs after leaving the A281. By my limited experience it seemed well organised, and I'm another suprised by the number of people doing the 20 miler.

After just three 10km events, this was my first one over a longer distance. I had entered the 10 miler and was nervous because my long runs, up to 13 miles, have always been done at a slow pace so no idea what kind of pace to go for in a race. In the end I plumped for a target of 1.25 which gave me a pace of 8:30 per mile. I did the first three miles (on the airfield, so flat) in 24 minutes then managed to stick to 8:30 pace for the rest so got 1.23 in the end. According to McMillan calculator this matches my 10km best so pleased with this.

I'll definitely be signing up for the Autumn event.

Dave

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Some great times by peeps image

The race report is now up on the website.  For those who want them, the race day photos will appear here very soon.