Any dentists?

Hello!

I go regularly to my dentist for a checkup, however over the past few years I have been getting a little bit of discolouration inbetween my canines and inscisors - early decay.

Ive not had any fillings for ages, and floss etc etc this area, but I am increasingly worried that it is getting worse, and as it is in a fairly visible area I dont want to have anything done that will essentially make my teeth/smile look horrible. I am chewing gum a lot to keep teeth clean in the day.

What I would like to know is whether there is anything that can be used to help repair early decay? I know you can get the various brand toothpastes that make rehardening claims etc....do they work? 

Is there anyhting in the dental profession that is better?

Comments

• Nick - PM Crash Hamster - you'll find him in the Worcestershire thread in General - he's the forum's resident dentist.....
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Oooh right cheers FB!

He lives where I grew up in Worcester!

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

...and on the off-chance someone else reads this and wants a tip.

Flossing and mouthwash

Also to encourage the enamel to remineralise; a spot of fluoride toothpaste on your finger and worked into the gap will do wonders.

'Duraphat' (expensive prescription only toothpaste high in flouride) also could be used.

Courtesy of Crash Hamster....

• 'Pronamel' toothpaste is supposed to help with remineralising your teeth.
  • Good tips (thank you image), which I could do with following, myself - discovered I needed two more fillings recently from caries which my dentist reckons are a result of natural enamel weakness in the crevicey bits of two of my molars. It's soooo unfair! image

I reallyshould stop the whole can't be arsed attitude to flossing,though, but it takes so fecking long!

Thanks,though - think I need to make more effort...
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Vicky - thats the stuff I was looking at. There are other brands as well....but whether they 'actually' work or not I dont know. THey do make quite authoritative claims, and do seem to be backed up with evidence.

Lady P - glad it helped....I will be getting some duraphat from my dentist - which is available in 2800ppm and 5000ppm strengths/concentration of Flouride. I looked at my toothpaste, and that is 1450ppm - which seems pretty high compared to others...1090 for some supermarket own. 

I was also thinking that I could sleep wearing a gumshield, after having smeared toothpaste on my problem areas, as that would help stop it dissolving away in my mouth.....(how attractive....but more so than gappy teeth eh)

• "I was also thinking that I could sleep wearing a gumshield"

Nick - I also think you're being a bit precious if you're thinking of that unless there are some very good reasons for so doing. and what side effects from leaving your teeth in contact with the paste for that long??

you said you are worried about loss of enamel - but has the dentist suggested this is a problem??? I'm not sure what Crashie said but I would think that if you have regular checkups and have a generally good dental hygiene and diet then it's not necessary to worry that much about the enamel.

but if you want to splash out you could consider veneers.

perhaps too much "overanalysis via Google" going on??? image

just some thoughts
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

FB - yeah the dentist has said I need to keep an eye on the area, and first commented on it 18 months or so ago (6 monthly check ups). 

I could be a bit precious, but as it is on my front teeth, I am more concerned than if it were my molars....it is only very very small though at the moment...but prevention etc rather than cure blah blah.

I actually havent used google about this...(but take your point!)...after some of the scary stories I encountered when I had the RSD in my leg.  I did wonder that leaving paste in contact with teeth would be a good idea or not....too much flouride can damage gums as I recall, and it wasnt something Crashie suggested. He just suggested what I pasted (ha ha ha ha - see what I did there?!) into the above message!

I have a check up in a month, so will discuss it then.

• Ok - if the dentist has commented on it already then best to talk to him at the next check up

I'm not sure I'd want to leave a standard toothpaste on my teeth overnight without taking some advice further! my dentists have also suggested rubbing some fluoride toothpaste in before going to bed usually when I've had some sensitivity to cold water which can often be a consequence of some enamel loss. that's worked

I've used fluoride toothpaste for years as I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. and I've also used an ultrasonic electric toothbrush (Sonicare) for years as well as you get a better clean - my dentists have also remarked at checkups that my teeth don't need much cleaning up from the use of that.

but nothing stops what your genes have doled out or age unfortunately!
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    Ok - if the dentist has commented on it already then best to talk to him at the next check up I'm not sure I'd want to leave a standard toothpaste on my teeth overnight without taking some advice further! my dentists have also suggested rubbing some fluoride toothpaste in before going to bed usually when I've had some sensitivity to cold water which can often be a consequence of some enamel loss. that's worked I've used fluoride toothpaste for years as I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. and I've also used an ultrasonic electric toothbrush (Sonicare) for years as well as you get a better clean - my dentists have also remarked at checkups that my teeth don't need much cleaning up from the use of that. but nothing stops what your genes have doled out or age unfortunately!

ahhh but you see I am planning on living forever!

So far so good!

• Nick, I have naturally very weak enamel on my teeth and I had a similar discoloration/decay/chip on one of my canines. My dentist smoothed it off and filled it with a colour-matched white filling and now you'd never know!
  • Genes can be terrible things.

My mum has always put every effort into looking after her teeth and gums but has shocking teeth thanks to a combination of poor genetics and a succession of reckless dentists, along with pretty severe gum disease through no fault of her own. image

Despite the fact me own dentist is very good, i can't help thinking that'll be me in a decade or so's time... image

Ho hum.

Another image for decent electric toothbrushes - it was actually recommended i started using one to protect my wrists a bit when i had suspected carpal tunnel syndrome, and although I now know I don't have CTS I've stuck with it - 'manual' toothbrushes don't feel anywhere near as effective by comparison.