night worker runners

Hello all, first posted topic so go easy with me. image

I just keep getting more and more in to running. However I have been offered a new job starting in June.

The problem is that it is working nights (3 per week). I am a bit aprehensive about taking it as I wonder if would effect my running/training. I wonder if there are any other runners whom work nights and what sort of training you manage, Ie when do you run etc.

I realy fancy the job (or more so the uplift in pay) but I am also very health concious and believe running bennifits me greatly. I am not a fast runner, I just like training and running events, 1/2 marathons, etc. So its not like it will effect me gaining first place, but I would still want to continue. 

Comments

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    I often do nights 7pm to 7am. I find it easier to get up at 3ish have a cup of tea and a snack then run at 4ish. I'm offshore but if I was home I think I would be tempted to run at the end of shift but depends what time you finish. It can be difficult to get up and get going but I make myself and it's fine - doesn't affect my training. Easier for me this way as it helps wake me up and adjust to the shift easier.
  • I work nights as well ... I dont run on my middle night but the day before the first one and the day after the last one if that makes sense I just treat as a usual day
    You will need rest days in any schedule so just fit them into your night shifts
    If you are that way inclined then a run straight after work suits some people but I am of the same persuasion as Jeremy and mine would tend to be after I have had a sleep !!
  • I work 2x12 hour days followed by 2x 12 hour nights..I run on the morning of my first night then go back to bed for a couple of hours before i'm due in on my first night.The day inbetween my 2 nights I treat it as a rest day,then after my last night shift I tend to run home from work 8 mile,Find that works for me,but its like anything else you can play mind games with yourself about running on a night shift..I'm on my first night shift now and ran 10 mile this morning and went back to bed in the afternoon...
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    i do the same pattern as you slow, currently on my 2nd night so lookin forward to 4 rest days at 7am!
    nights and good quality training just dont go together in my mind despite how motivated i may feel! ive been combining them both for about 11yrs now and it doesnt get easier.
  • That's a good feeling 7am on your last shift...I agree about quality training and nights but you've got to make the best of it..I've been doing this shift pattern for around 10 year, the days off are good especially when you book 4 shifts as hols and get 12 days off. I recently did 6 weeks of days Monday to Friday and trained every other day,manged alot more weekly mileage and did not seem to be as tired..
  • I do 6 on and 4 off,  I have learnt that its not worth beating yourself up on the long day shifts or the nights when you cant get anything done,  I make use of the 4 days off and the free time before lates and nights!
  • Good old shift workers posting on here at  2am 3am and 5am image
  • There are several shift worker threads about as well
  • 45 mins to go, then home and my 10 hour sleep....
  • I usually manage a good 10 hours sleep but not today ... first rest day and all that !
  • I find if I don't get my sleep right on my 1st rest day I can be tired the whole 4 days off...

• I only do 2 nights so its not too bad if I get a bad sleep on the first day, not quite what I would want but I do tend to recover quite well on my rest days although I do sleep very well indeed !!
    I think I average 10 or 11 hours a night !
  • M...eldy wrote (see)
    And thats when your on nights!  image
  • I also work 7pm till 7am, i normally try and sleep till 1pm then run from 2pm (great when kids are at school). Or sometimes run to work.
  • thank you for all the replies thus far, very interesting.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    im making the most of it, due to change my pattern in may to an 8hr pattern which is hard to get your head around!.
    day of rest today, off for a 10miler tomorrow evening.
    your in good company, despite what the RW editors might think their readers dont all work in boring offices between 9 & 5 with an hour at lunch for a quick speed session
  • Flat Footed wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    And thats when your on nights!  image
    Might have known you would be loafing around looking for an excuse not to do any work   image
  • its just about timing your sleeping, just because you work all night it doesnt mean you are going to be asleep all day! if you do some days and some nights it can be harder, you just have to become more adaptable and work out if you prefer running a few hours before sleeping or after, if you prefer sleep before work or after work or a bit of both..

• Like a few others on here I'm on 12 hour shifts (until April at least). I love running home at 7am, no ones around and the distance is great being 7 miles. Allows me to focus on longer and shorter (faster) runs on rest days. Having five days off means I can work my legs in the gym too. Pretty much perfect shift for running at least. Shame about working over Christmas but that's another thread I guess.....
  • Lewis A-B wrote (see)
     Shame about working over Christmas but that's another thread I guess.....
    What, you don't enjoy double time?? image
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    i got 5 bank holidays over christmas and am now in the process of having the loft converted! sneakily its the first christmas ive worked in 11yrs so think thats not a bad ratio?
  • I worked shifts for 11 years, and in the last couple of years have run around my schedule. I could never run after a shift though because i was knackered.

3am runs in a "lunch break" were my favourite. They kept me more alert afterwards, and meant i was getting paid to train. I also slept because i was physically tired, not just messed up from shifts. 

Am off shifts now though and feel so much better for it. 

Also, the Xmas double time and all that is long gone at my place. BH's are just normal days if you're unlucky enough to be rostered on.....

• I worked night shifts for 10 years and managed to run, but I didnt enjoy it. Could never run after I finished a shift. Had to have a few hours sleep then was ready to go.

I am now completing my first year not having to do nights. Still do earlies and lates but feel so much better not doing nights and manage more runs because I am not so tired.

Made the mistake of going to the gym after a night shift and nearly fell asleep on the bloody treadmill. I stuck to the sit down weights after that...a lot safer!

Try not to work Christmas day but any other BH...I'll take them all!! Until they take my double bubble away that is!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    and the CRTP and SPP! Grr
  • Lost my SPP already now that I have changed roles!!  Boo Hiss!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    its one big lottery! rant over.