Running and Cycling

Hi

Need a bit of advise ,I am running the Britghton Marathon , I decided as the weather is not to bad to cycle to work and back this in total is 10 Miles ,I know cycling exercises different leg muscles ,Should I continue with my training plan as normal or should I cut the amount of miles .

or evern forget cycling for now ,I could walk to work, advise would be gratefully recieved

Ta

Razkatz

Comments

• Completely on a different tangent, but did you know can change your forum name if you wanna be known as Razkatz.

If you want to do this, go to My Profile, then My Details. On this page you will be able to change your forum name

Feel free to ignore this post if I have poked my nose in where it is not wanted image

• No Your not sticking your nose in I did not realise I had signed it Razkatz its a name I have for a couple of other items but thanks for the info

Katherine

• I would carry on cycling the 10 miles if your just taking it easy and not cycling at a fast pace,it can only enhance your fitness.
  • well I run and swim and find in races I go better then when I just ran
  • I don't think you can train solely for a run by cycling, but doing cross-training is pretty important.

Any cardio work will help towards general fitness.

• I was cycling a 30 mile round trip when training for London (and 2 previous marathons) I don't think it does any harm. just make sure not to cycle (or walk) in the week prior to Btn. also maybe remember to stretch after the cycle ride.

• I Cycled 16 miles round trip to work, 4 times a week at the start of my training for London, then replaced with cycle to work and run home, following day run to work cycle home.And did better than when I had only ran in my previous marathon training...

I was given some precious advise to stretch the correct muscle's and not to skimp on the stretches...

• RazKatz, you only need to look to what triathletes accomplish in running without putting as many miles in as their run split times might suggest.

A lot of this is down to the miles on their bikes that strengthen the legs - and being non-impact, this also lessens the risk of injury. Cycling fitness has very good transference to running, though not neccesarily vice versa.

Having said that, you cannot train for a running race by cycling, you do have to put the running miles in also but adding cycling into your weekly routines will definitely aid your running.

Suggest you keep gears low, i.e. develop a faster pedaling cadence - try to build to around 90-100 pedal strokes a minute, rather than grinding a heavy gear as this will only leave your legs tired and unwilling to run later, even the next day. Don't concern yourself about speed, so leave enough time to get to work; your fitness will improve and your times will come down naturally.

Think about mixing it up. Cycle in for a few days and walk or run the remaining days.

As SlowButSure says, stretching afterwards is key. Especially the hamstrings as these tend to tighten up cycling.

Compo, I swim upto 3 times a week also and though it hasn't made me a faster runner, I'm finding it very good for the core stability which in turn means I can go longer before fatigue sets in. So, no, the swim fit doesn't transfer as well but I find it all helps.

And remember - there's no such thing as bad cycling weather - you only need the right type of clothing!

Good luck in your marathon training! 

• What he says image although running that distance would be a nice little sharpener if you're marafun training.  Easy 5 miles to work then throw in some speed work on the way home or take a detour home and make it a fast 10 miler.
  • Something to think about is that whilst, generally, running tends to exercise the calves and hamstrings over the quads, during the latter stages of a marathon the quads also begin to take a hammering.  So besides hitting the wall (largely a myth IMO if you've done the training and fuelled properly) and general fatigue, cramping can be one of the things that really stops people in their tracks after 20 miles or so.  So keeping up cycling will help balance your leg strength, not to mention the boost to general aerobic fitness.

As mentioned above, I would reduce the cycling during the taper period, and drop it completely in the week leading up to the marathon, to make sure your energy reserves are tip-top.

• I do both, trying to alternate my trip to work... run one day/ride the next (some months I might use the car once!!)

Katherine, as you get better on the bike, why not try 'Cyclo-Cross', it combines running & riding in one race... and very often on the same lapimage

This is how I came across to running, as I needed to improve my 'off-bike' abilities, now I've gone to the opposite extreme & partake in Fell-Racesimage

(think of it more as cross-country running)

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross/article/cyxst-Get-Into-Cyclo-Cross